San Shou school in the DFW area?

M

multiple68

Im having a hard time finding a san shou school in the DFW area......perferrably in North Dallas. If I cant find one, I'll probably get into muay thai or something along those lines.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont know of any strictly san shou schools in the area, but my sigung's school is in that area and he is training a couple of guys for san shou and some semi-professional K-1 type fighting. One of our students drives up there each week to train with him. If you can't find anything else and are interested, I could hook you up with them. Let me know.

7sm

OP
J

j_m

Isn't "san shou" just a general term for a Chinese kickboxing sport (possibly with some takedowns)? Or has the meaning been expanded beyond that these days?

Why not just learn some good kung-fu and learn how to fight the kung-fu way?

jm

P.S I live and train in North Dallas.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
San shou is basically like you said, but there are competitions that have specific san shou rules. So now there are schools that train specifically for san shou within those fight rules. Its like a UFC school or something, they train specifically for UFC events. San shou has different rules from many though.

7sm

OP
M

multiple68

Yes 7starmantis I would be interested...right now im checking out a couple muay thai schools. And yes I would like to get into competition fighting, san shou rules....my current school doesnt support tournaments....and though I really like this school...i would like to expand (in addition to my current training) into some one on one fight training. Right now during my privates....all I do is go over my forms and such....which I do on my own anyways.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool, mind if I ask where you train now? The school I['m talking about is in Garland, is that close enough to you? If so, I'll PM you with some contact information for them.

7sm

OP
M

multiple68

I live in Carrollton, and train in Farmers Branch.....I'll be moving to Addison soon.....what part of Garland?

OP
J

j_m

multiple68 said:
I live in Carrollton, and train in Farmers Branch.....I'll be moving to Addison soon.....what part of Garland?
Ahhh... only one "shaolin" school in Farmers Branch. No more sparring class on Saturdays??

You could do a lot worse than training with/under Sifu Fogg (as 7* suggested). He has a very good reputation as a martial artist and a person. He is very pleasant to talk to. Good luck in your search.

7*, is he personally training these guys for the tournament fights? Just curious (as I mentioned before, I like that sort of thing :) ).

jm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, he is personally training our student, and is using these other guys from other schools and such to fight him in the training sessions. I dont know if he would accept any other students, but I could deffinitely get anyone in contact with him if you guys are interested in doing some fighting.

7sm

OP
M

multiple68

Yeah we still have sparring classes....but I want more of a one on one training.....and I would like to start doing tournaments if I enjoy it enough.....jm....are you familiar with the CMAI?

OP
J

j_m

multiple68 said:
...jm....are you familiar with the CMAI?
Yes, very familiar.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or an e-mail if you have any questions.

jm

Latest Discussions