Kung Fu Family

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to how many of you guys spend alot of time developing relationships between your fellow students in CMA? We tend to look at them all as a big family. Even the students of our other schools around the US. Do you guys look at it much that way, within your school or even sister schools? Do you think its good or usefull to view it that way, or do you think its better left out of CMA training?

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Yep... pretty much.
Wow, such a long drawn out answer. Do you guys call each other by sihing "soandso" and all, or just by first names and such?

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, you didn't ask for details... :EG:

As far as sihing/sidai stuff... not really. Now our sifu & sigung yes obviously. Our seniors in San Fran yes. To each other not really. We know where we are "in the food chain" in our school. Once we get bigger, then it may become standard fair, but right now nah... we're ok just with names.

I personally always figure, hey 'Stephen' worked so well for so many years, my Mom must've been on to something. Hence, I am rarely called Sifu or Sigong anywhere I travel. Often, when introduced at events/workshops I find myself interjecting and saying, "'Stephen' is fine."

As to family, who we choose to spend our time, energy with is family. So, yes felow MA, and travelers on the path to/of Wisdom are all family.