Jonny's first post

Reaction score
Hey everyone. A buddy of mine suggested this forum to help gather advice about my martial arts journey. So far, the posts I've read had all been interesting and educational.

My story is... I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 4-5 years ago and continued off and on as work/school allowed. I landed in the Shen Wu Dojo in Garden Grove, CA where Tim Cartmell teaches BJJ at nights (and various types of kung fu during the day). It is here where I learned the most and got close to ready for a blue belt test. Unfortunatly I was injured and required surgury to correct the problem. Since that time (8 months now since the surgery, and 5 months since i've been able to actually use my arm) i've not been able to get back into BJJ due to cost and school. So I gave Shotokan Karate a try. It's a far cry from BJJ but it's still has it's moments.

I'm trying to decide if sticking with Karate is right for me, or if I need to continue my search.

Hope to hear someone elses thoughts.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
All hail Jonny's first post!
:cheers:
Welcome to MT!

Sorry to hear about your injury but glad you're at least back on your feet (or arm as the case may be). As to your question, that's something only you can decide, however, the fact that you're even asking the question tells me you're not overly enthralled with Shotokan. It might help to make a list of what you like vs what you don't. Take your 'likes' list and try to find something more in line with that.

Good luck & Happy posting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome Jonny and happy posting indeed. We're at your service and hope you can be there for ours. But uh, could you find a longer user name? :lol: Guess we'll be calling you Jonny for short. :D

Where you get that from anyway? Out of curiosity.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey: Good luck finding the style and school that is right for you - you might look here for some similar discussions by people having similar questions. Let us know how your search goes!

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Jonny,

Welcome to MT.

Cheers.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Jonny!
Sorry to hear about your injury but glad you're at least back on your feet (or arm as the case may be). As to your question, that's something only you can decide, however, the fact that you're even asking the question tells me you're not overly enthralled with Shotokan. It might help to make a list of what you like vs what you don't. Take your 'likes' list and try to find something more in line with that.
Good advice from Yeti (as usual :)).

I had a similar problem with a previous art, but it was my neck. Couldn't continue to take hard falls (without risking disability, said the sawbones), so switched to a more stand-up art. I also like Kacey's advice. Great place to get started.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The others have offered excellent advice, so I can offer is a Welcome to MT...

Latest Discussions