John Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course it is ok for him to say that he is GM Pellegrini's senior, right? And I notice you make no comment about that, even when he failed to confirm what you wanted him to confirm. Irrespective of all of that, the truth is the truth, which is, I am his senior, which by the way, he already knew when he wrote his posts.

Mr. Uesugi, just for your edification, I didn't have a clue who you where until you started trying to derail the thread. Then I checked. I didn't fail to confirm anything. As I said, repeatedly, I wasn't at the grading, but knew others who were around, and had information about someone else that was grading at the same time - I posted that back in the original post. That was as far as my contribution was respective of that grading.

And again, why does it matter if you claim to be my senior? Not sure what bearing that has on anything. I made a comment to someone else talking about disrespecting seniors that I thought might have been directed to me, that's it.

Again, you claim to have the answers - so why the trolling?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The KKW comment is accurate. The special testings did not require 1-3rd Dan testers to be present. This is according to their own flyer.
Flier??? Do you have a link to this flier? If you are talking about that special testing a couple of years ago, that was a single event to my knowledge and it was done in conjunction with USAT. It was not a normative or regular thing. From what I understand (Glenn probably can answer better than I), it will probably never happen again, as the Kukkiwon was not pleased with how it was approached.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flier??? Do you have a link to this flier? If you are talking about that special testing a couple of years ago, that was a single event to my knowledge and it was done in conjunction with USAT. It was not a normative or regular thing. From what I unAderstand (Glenn probably can answer better than I), it will probably never happen again, as the Kukkiwon was not pleased with how it was approached.

I don't have a link, it was sent to me via email. Apparently it isn't a one-time event as it is going to happen in Great Britain (or has happened already as I don't remember the date of the event). I had discussed this with GM Davies in GB as he had been asked to participate by the KKW. From our conversation, it was pretty much the same as what Vegas did. Whether it was tweaked or not I don't know. Apparently this may be a 'somewhat' regular thing at different venues.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly he never learned enough "traditional" Hapkido to remove anything - the stuff he claims to have removed never existed there in the first place, but he really doesn't know that.

Not sure about the comments of disrespecting seniors, or whether the idea that it was done 10 years ago applies to my comments then, but I am Pellegrini's senior in Hapkido, now in Pellegrini-do, yep, he is above us all...

Its been a while, but I seem to think that he mentioned the way kicks are done. I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of Hapkido, but I'm curious as to what kicks he's talking about, if you're saying the stuff he's talking about wasnt there to begin with.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Flier??? Do you have a link to this flier? If you are talking about that special testing a couple of years ago, that was a single event to my knowledge and it was done in conjunction with USAT. It was not a normative or regular thing. From what I understand (Glenn probably can answer better than I), it will probably never happen again, as the Kukkiwon was not pleased with how it was approached.

The Kukkiwon signed a MOU with the California Unified Taekwondo Association (CUTA.) There will be more.

"CUTA will now process all Kukkiwon Dan/Poom Certificates in the United States. CUTA will host Poomsae Seminars, Kukkiwon Instructor courses and events." http://www.cutkda.com/index.php?opt...kukkiwon-a-cuta-unites&catid=37:fp-rokstories

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon signed a MOU with the California Unified Taekwondo Association (CUTA.) There will be more.

"CUTA will now process all Kukkiwon Dan/Poom Certificates in the United States. CUTA will host Poomsae Seminars, Kukkiwon Instructor courses and events." http://www.cutkda.com/index.php?opt...kukkiwon-a-cuta-unites&catid=37:fp-rokstories

Thank you Terry, that is correct. Skip Dan testing looks to still be a venue that is being offered;

The California Unified Taekwondo Association is authorized to conduct all Kukkiwon events, including the Kukkiwon Dan/Poom Certification up to 7th Dan (Skip Dan Certification and Special Skip Dan Certification), Kukkiwon Poomsae Seminars, Instructor Education Seminars and more.

And as I said, it was or will be offered in GB as well. I would imagine that perhaps other countries in the EU may well see it as well. I'll have to shoot my friend Simon O'Neill in Spain an email and see if he's heard anything. If so, I'll let you know.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Dave Schultz, there is no reason to send me private notifications. Anything you have to say, say it here on MT for everyone to read.

He was probably inviting you to participate on his message board, which averages about five posts per month, from the same four or five people. You and/or I going there makes about as much sense as he showing up to a WTF event. We come from different worlds and are going in different directions. I understand he could use some help jump starting his message board, but we have more important things to focus on this year.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to distract from the discussion of John Pellegrini, as I'm not familiar with him, or his history, but I will point out that the usage of Hatsumi's quote isn't really a credibility builder. The ranking "system" (such as it is) that exists in the Bujinkan is essentially non-existant, to the point that it is considered to have no value, and be in no way any indication of skill, knowledge, ability, experience, or anything relevant other than knowing the right people, turning up for a day or more in Japan, and paying the cash. It's at the point where the highest ranking are routinely pulled apart as being terrible, despite them being given the rank by Hatsumi, and him saying that they are great examples publicly. Hatsumi's various justifications and quotes that he has used over the years don't change any of that, as none of them are enforced... for example, if a student is "promoted early to pressure them to be stronger", and they don't grow stronger, typically they are promoted again, and told that they are doing well!

Finally, the entire concept is a rather Asian one, and really shouldn't be applied to Western ideas and cultures, as there is too much of a disconnect there.

Thank you for you post. Actually it was very appropriate, if you understand how Hatsumi Sensei and other seniors think and regard promotions, which is completely different from others, especially in the western world. Judging Hatsumi Sensei or GM Seo's actions without understanding or even attempting to understand their cultural point of view is like, again, an American going to London and telling the British that they speak funny english.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you knew he was already aware of this....then why post it?

To let other people know and figure out for themselves if that is the type of example that they wish to follow, disrespecting their seniors in the fashion that he does.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then why did you ask Mr. Uesugi? You don't sign your name to your posts, so you want to troll here anonymously? What a time waster you are. If you already know all the answers then enlighten us.

Gee, how rude you are. Actually, Kong Soo Do I believe posted about GM Myung promoting GM Pelligrini to 6th Dan. I stated that was incorrect. Kong Soo Do did not believe me and pulled one of your old posts to prove that GM Myung did promote GM Pelligrini to 6th Dan and said that he sent you an email to confirm. I was trying to help Kong Soo Do out, but if you have a different opinion about the rank that GM Myung gave to GM Pelligrini, then just say you were mistaken.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
And again Mr. Uesugi why does that matter? While there are some heated discussions on this board, this is a place for conversation, not confrontation - if you want that game, I can think of the board we should go to...otherwise, cool your jets.

I guess that is something, you addressing me as "Mr.". Better than how you treat GM Myung or GM Seo.

My jets are cool. What board are you talking about that we should go to? As for why it matters to know how to act towards seniors, that is obviously a question for GM Lim to answer for you.

You might also wish to consider your attitude toward GM Seo as well, given the fact that GM Adams' lineage is through the Kuk Sool Won. Also, GM Seo has promoted many hapkido practitioners to kodanja rank, not just GM Pelligrini, but also people like GM West, Dr. Kimm, GM Timmerman, GM and so on. I don't know if you considered all of that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't think the Kukkiwon wants to do a special testing with the current leadership of USAT. That Las Vegas test left a bad taste in the Kukkiwon's mouths. But the Kukkiwon does recognize that there are practitioners out there that did not have the opportunity to obtain appropriate Kukkiwon rank and they are trying to rectify things. The Kukkiwon is trying to help taekwondoin; it has nothing to do with money, and it is ridiculous to even suggest that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its been a while, but I seem to think that he mentioned the way kicks are done. I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of Hapkido, but I'm curious as to what kicks he's talking about, if you're saying the stuff he's talking about wasnt there to begin with.

Hapkido has many kicks, perhaps the most kicks of any martial art. There are certainly more kicks in hapkido than there is in taekwondo, for example. Also hapkido kicks are used in different ways for different purposes. There are basic kicks which help digestion and to exercise and move the internal organs, in addition to uses in self defense situations. There are also special kicks such as spinning kicks, jump spinning kicks, two leg flying side kick, etc. which some feel are not as practical. I believe these are the types of kicks that GM Pelligrini has not included in his Combat Hapkido, the more acrobatic type kicks.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

We'll see.... There are all kinds of things going on with regard to the Kukkiwon. This past Friday wasn't a real good one for the organization and President Kang.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for you post. Actually it was very appropriate, if you understand how Hatsumi Sensei and other seniors think and regard promotions, which is completely different from others, especially in the western world. Judging Hatsumi Sensei or GM Seo's actions without understanding or even attempting to understand their cultural point of view is like, again, an American going to London and telling the British that they speak funny english.

I didn't say it wasn't appropriate, I said that it wasn't adding credibility to others by using Hatsumi's approach. And are you really talking to me about understanding Hatsumi's approach? I feel that I'm in far more of a position to understand it than you are, honestly....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks, for the most part, this thread has been a civil and informative discussion. It's starting to lose the civil aspect, and that takes the informative side out with it.

ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite & respectful.

Jim Sheeran
jks9199
MT Assistant Administrator

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was probably inviting you to participate on his message board...

Actually no.

Al aka mastercole has chosen the similar low road that you have Glenn. This road entails;

• Posting subtle sarcastic remarks about me, my instructor and our organization that are untrue.
  • Trying to dig around for some type of dirt on the above.
  • Trying to deflect from whatever the topic of a thread is and turn it on me and my training background (and you do the same thing to others such as Iron Ox in this thread).
  • Posting threads here on MT (or in existing threads in an attempt to take them off topic), that use the ravings of a banned troll, as the basis of 'proof'. These types of threads get shut down by the moderators in short order. Often before I've seen them and had the opportunity to present the actual truth. The reason you and Al do this is simply to present a picture of me that isn't accurate. The fact that it isn't accurate is of little regard to you both.
Since I wanted to avoid this here on MT (and thus ease the strain on the moderators), I created a specific discussion thread on my own board in which you, Al and Jeremy could team up and have complete freedom to trash me on whatever front to your hearts content. I assured all of you that none of my 'buddies' would join in and I would make my defense alone. In this way you could freely talk without fear of being warned by a moderator or face the chance of being suspended here on MT. In fact, I made the statement in the very first post to 'come in and trash me' with all the facts you could put together. And if a larger audience was needed, links to the thread could be sent far and wide.

Jeremy, to his credit, joined that discussion. We hashed out a bunch of things. But you Glenn, for all of your subtle jabs, arrogance and half-truths DIDN'T join the discussion to back up your own words. After hijacking two dozen threads (or more), after starting multiple threads directly about me....you ran away. I gave you a golden opportunity to put everything on the table in a venue where you could speak freely without fear of suspension...and you ran away. And when Al aka mastercole, your buddy, tried the same thing here on MT, I offered him the exact same thing...and he ran away. I think that speaks volumes about the validity of your words.

Well, the thread is still there and anyone here that wants the link simply needs to pm me (or look in your profile page). It is there for all to see. And the invitation still stands if you ever decide to stand behind your words. That is the only reason I provided you the opportunity to join that board. Your presence or participation otherwise isn't needed or desired.

BTW, the banned troll that you like to quote and link to for your 'proof' joined that discussion. He further exposed himself as a liar beyond anything I've exposed him on in the past.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does any of the above have to do with John Pelligrini?

Let's get back on topic, OK? This isn't an option or a request. It's a nicely phrased directive.

Jim Sheeran
jks9199
MT Assistant Moderator

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think the Kukkiwon wants to do a special testing with the current leadership of USAT. That Las Vegas test left a bad taste in the Kukkiwon's mouths. But the Kukkiwon does recognize that there are practitioners out there that did not have the opportunity to obtain appropriate Kukkiwon rank and they are trying to rectify things. The Kukkiwon is trying to help taekwondoin; it has nothing to do with money, and it is ridiculous to even suggest that.
The Kukkiwon's registration fees are so modest, particularly with regards to low dan's, I don't really see how it could be about money.

We'll see.... There are all kinds of things going on with regard to the Kukkiwon. This past Friday wasn't a real good one for the organization and President Kang.
What happened on Friday??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions