Joe Palanzo's Kenpo Self Protection.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score

THUNDERING MANTIS

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

When were these (series?) made? I've only seen the 'mace of aggression' but it differs, somewhat to what I know of a plug to the solar/p inplace of the 'elbow'- those that are of the same learnings- do you think this is a potential 'mysterious' road to travel for the kenpo student?

by not using the change of high low and 'ying-yang hands' the technique becomes more lost- but perhaps my learning is biased.

experienced guys- please let me know what you think of the 'mace of agression' (my technique is 'flail and mace' extension -to the best of my knowledge)...

kind regards,

thunderning mantis

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed by them. They did not seem very exciting to watch, nor did I think they explained a lot. He seems to be holding back a lot on these.

I did quite a few private lessons with him (accompanying my instructor) back in the early 90's, and he was much more animated and detailed in his descriptions.

OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, I believe that this type of thing just waters down the system even more. How long before you start seeing Master Hwangs Tae Kwon Kenpo Do? There are enough Kenpo posers out there, we don't need any more.

THUNDERING MANTIS

White Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka and hongkongfooey are along the lines more with what I think and don't say outright.

so I should toss that b/w crest then too? (right, right...)

OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mantis,

Don't be shy when it comes to your beliefs. I have come to the conclusion that American Kenpo will never regain the respect that it had when Ed Parker was alive, unless we in the Kenpo community start teaching and studying a no nonsense version of our repective Kenpo arts.

There are a lot of McDojos in the Kenpo world these days and it's not getting any better. It's time we all faced that fact. This KSP thing, home study blackbelt courses, poor quality instruction, and all of the infighting, doesn't do Ed Parker any justice.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
Mantis,

Don't be shy when it comes to your beliefs. I have come to the conclusion that American Kenpo will never regain the respect that it had when Ed Parker was alive, unless we in the Kenpo community start teaching and studying a no nonsense version of our repective Kenpo arts.

There are a lot of McDojos in the Kenpo world these days and it's not getting any better. It's time we all faced that fact. This KSP thing, home study blackbelt courses, poor quality instruction, and all of the infighting, doesn't do Ed Parker any justice.
How dare you say such a thing.

OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a wonder that I haven't been flamed for my view.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score

I really hope that some day you get the chance to stop at our school (Doc and SL4).

General comments regarding Mace of Agression and the general Kenpo community.
The Tech Mace of Agression from the video reminded me of something that has been bugging me for a while. When explaining techniques I often here phrase like, "Just remove the choke hold" or "place your hands on his to nullify his hands".

Words like these, in any explanation, are just to simple to actually learn something from. You can't tell someone, "just remove the headlock" without telling them how. Same goes for Mace of Agression. Placing your hands on the attackers will not nullify their hands. How do you make it work? How do you place your hands on the attackers? How do you have the strength and stability to not let the attacker pull away? As the instructor you had better know because your life and the lives of your students may be on the line some day. General explanation yield general results. Video learning is just not acceptable as a form of learning "how".
Meh, climbing off soapbox now.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
It's a wonder that I haven't been flamed for my view.
In law, truth is an absolute defense. Besides I've been saying the things you said for years. I've already taken all the flames for you. :)

OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bode said:
I really hope that some day you get the chance to stop at our school (Doc and SL4).

General comments regarding Mace of Agression and the general Kenpo community.
The Tech Mace of Agression from the video reminded me of something that has been bugging me for a while. When explaining techniques I often here phrase like, "Just remove the choke hold" or "place your hands on his to nullify his hands".

Words like these, in any explanation, are just to simple to actually learn something from. You can't tell someone, "just remove the headlock" without telling them how. Same goes for Mace of Agression. Placing your hands on the attackers will not nullify their hands. How do you make it work? How do you place your hands on the attackers? How do you have the strength and stability to not let the attacker pull away? As the instructor you had better know because your life and the lives of your students may be on the line some day. General explanation yield general results. Video learning is just not acceptable as a form of learning "how".
Meh, climbing off soapbox now.

Bode,

If I ever get out to California again, I will. Even if just to say hi!

kenpohack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, these are some of the best production videos I have ever seen! Mr. Palanzo deserves to be commended on the video quality and presentation. Other than that, I'll refrain from comment on the grounds that anything I would say would be considered disrespectful and inflammatory.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpohack said:
Honestly, these are some of the best production videos I have ever seen! Mr. Palanzo deserves to be commended on the video quality and presentation. Other than that, I'll refrain from comment on the grounds that anything I would say would be considered disrespectful and inflammatory.
Isn't is a shame that the truth would be 'disrespectful and inflammatory?"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not seen all of the clips in question. I saw a few minutes of Mace of Aggression. IMHO, this is one of the main reasons why I personally feel that videos/dvds of any sort, should be reserved as a supplement only. To learn, think that you'll get any fine points, etc., is fooling yourself.

This is certainly not meant to flame Mr. Palanzo, as I'd hope in person, the details would be more forthcoming.

Mike

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, I got some weenie boy dingin me in the rep system with a comment about those silly kenpo people dissing anything that isn't there's, then calling me racist. And, of course, they didn't sign it.

To that bonehead: You are either too dense to get it, or simply don't know me very well, do you. That joke (more chins than a Chinese phone book) is an old one. Nevertheless, I didn't hear it until my Chiro school buddy, Dr. Stone, used it on me in the middle of a practice lab, and got me to howling at my own...um....prominent mylohyoid. No matter how lean I get, I ALWAYS am one nod away from a second chin....possibly a third. (and I'm currently 6'4", 215 and about 15% body fat...still have one). And I've been waiting 10 years to find anyone else...any opportunity...to bring that one out of the box and dust it off.

As for the racist accusation...let me give you some stuff to really get mad at. Well, maybe not. Thread drift, and all. I'll keep it easy for you: I'm so Heinz 57, that hating on any group for racial purposes would likely have me hating on myself. And prejudiced based on culture, color, etc., is perhaps the only thing thicker than the skull of the idjit who torqued me on this one.

And if you really want to know what I think about distance learning...well criminey. I've been trashing it on this board long enough, most know how I feel about it. But I'll make it easy for you, so there's no guesswork.

Everybody is tippy-toeing so as not to offend one of kenpo's more senior seniors. At least NOW I'd know what he looked like if I hit him with my car. But I still don't tip-toe.

Distance learning is a horrible idea, but a great money maker for the developor/vendor. There are too many subtleties under the guidance of a good professor that require IMMEDIATE correction and feedback. In a one-way communication medium, this cannot be done. The best (and only) use of this medium is as a reminder set of notes...like breezing throiugh some old class notes when you're bored or sittting on the john.

As for these tapes, specifically...haven't seen all of them. The few I have seen demonstrated some poor mechanical habits that will, undoubtedly, get passed on to successive generations and further canonized as "how kenpo is done". I'm sure Mr. Palanzo is very good. I'm sure he can tool my hide. The kenpo I've seen in the tapes is still sub-par, and the communication medium is still a bad idea for serious study.

And I STILL think he has more chins than a Chinese phone book. Now, if you want to flame my heiny with anonymous crap, you'll have something to say.

Sincerely,

this English-Irish-Indian-Black-German-Polish-Danish-Scotts-etc. White boy who grew up the only haule kid in a Hawaiian-Philipino-Samoan-Japanese-Chinese-Tongan-etc. neighborhood on the west side of Oahu uber-racist and honorary member of the KKK (well, the last part ain't true),

Dave

Flame on!

PS -- Lighten up folks. It's only life.

OP
hongkongfooey

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I second that, Dave. People shouldn't be afraid to speak up.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
.....As for the racist accusation...let me give you some stuff to really get mad at. Well, maybe not. Thread drift, and all. I'll keep it easy for you: I'm so Heinz 57, that hating on any group for racial purposes would likely have me hating on myself. And prejudiced based on culture, color, etc., is perhaps the only thing thicker than the skull of the idjit who torqued me on this one.....

:roflmao: :rofl: :rofl: :roflmao: I haven't heard that one dragged out of the archives in a while!

THUNDERING MANTIS

White Belt
Reaction score
To speak your thoughts is very idealistic, but to blantantly pick apart-and degredate a persons' character regarding their 'present' action, or direction they do is also a reflection on your OWN character.

I do not know Mr. Palanzo's circumstances nor situation, many things may have contributed to the production of the videos relevant. That the showing is so poor you'd think maybe... well how does that actually look full speed? Aside from this, shooting the idea of video for any other reason than documentary in martial arts is very difficult (aside from volitile).

What happened to Joe P? Did age turn him slow, and strip him of all the colorful patches and red stripes? Maybe he's humbled, maybe alot of things.

So then, his videos stink! (can't comment on form 7 clubs)

Also, a number of people I knew in kenpo under a D. Nkrd in PA- found themselves in videos on the website- guess what? These same people, same that a friend considered collegues were so bad at martial arts it was like looking at adults/playing karate-kungfu with new black belts just bought.

I refuse to accept that any of those guys seriously is good at kenpo, or any other martial practice. Like many, the only thing I see is a group that just wanted to get a 'black belt.'(not be a good (decent?) kenpo/martial artist)

A pic is worth a thousand words, what about a video? Lack of grace, over extensions- show of piss-poor coordination tells me they are mince meat for any real threat of an expert regardless of style.

have the standards, or we-all fallen so low? (Is contact and slapping your uniform for effects a dead practice?)

appologies to any offended parties,
best regards,

Latest Discussions