Joe Palanzo's Kenpo Self Protection.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First things first. "more chins than a Chinese phone book" is not racist, it refers to the fact that Chin is more commonly a chinese name than say an english or russian name. Joe does have extra chins. I also have more chins than ideal even when I lose weight.

Nice production values on the new WKKA tapes. if one were teaching their curriculum these tapes would suppliment the learning well. One can't learn the subtleties of martial arts from tapes but these would serve as a nice notebook to remind one of the base moves. Personally I will not begrudge Mr. Palanzo for supplimenting his income with these tapes. Distance learning is a horrible idea, but tapes to suppliment personal training is a good idea.

I would have like to see some discussion of the attacks in a more realistic manner after demonstrating the base static version of the techniques.

Jeff

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
Mantis,

Don't be shy when it comes to your beliefs. I have come to the conclusion that American Kenpo will never regain the respect that it had when Ed Parker was alive, unless we in the Kenpo community start teaching and studying a no nonsense version of our repective Kenpo arts.

There are a lot of McDojos in the Kenpo world these days and it's not getting any better. It's time we all faced that fact. This KSP thing, home study blackbelt courses, poor quality instruction, and all of the infighting, doesn't do Ed Parker any justice.

My fellow phooey, keep it real as you always do! :)

But let's remember that when GM Parker was formulating American Kenpo, he used motion kenpo, categories of completion, taking out some material, TV commericals, opened franchises, sold books, etc. Is that not McDojo philosophy? I think many "target" Kenpo instructors for doing the exact same things GM Parker did.

When it comes down to it, unless you are teaching for free, it is about money. No disrespect to GM Parker. I love his material and will continue to seek kenpo knowledge until the day I die (along with any other kenpo/kempo materail somone is willing to teach me). I wish I had some of the Seniors (and many other teachers) closer to my state so that I could attend seminars and classes more. I would go to all of them if I could.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
Here are some clips from Mr. Palanzo's Kenpo Self Protection course. What do you think the impact of this program will be on American Kenpo?

Mace of Aggression
http://www.wkka.org/data/files/3/75.wmv

Five Swords
http://www.wkka.org/data/files/3/76.wmv

Falcons of Force
http://www.wkka.org/data/files/3/77.wmv

This one sounds like it should be marketed by Ronco. For just three easy payments of $19.95 It slices! It dices! It even purees!
http://www.wkka.org/data/files/3/78.wmv

Having watched all the videos I'd say the videos are good. Good graphical touches, good sound quality and clarity, good zoom points, good video overlays, nice touch with the overhead angle...

....Oh I forgot about the actual presentation of the material....I'll just say that I'm from Baltimore and now I see where much of the Kenpo in the area comes from. What I learned and continue to learn looks drastically different from these videos, despite my original instructor having received 4th Black ranking from Mr. Palanzo before switching associations.

I'm wondering what happened here. Regarding information quality/quantity there is alot being held back, this much I know from dealing with Joe Palanzo schools and instructors. These guys claim to learn it all from Mr. Palanzo and they (some of them) have a MUCH deeper understanding than what's shown on these tapes. Either something is being held back or these guys are training with a different line covert style. For Motion quality....I'll say that many (not all) of the instructors from this line move better than the Grand Master shown. I wonder if Mr. Palanzo's age and subsequent hip replacements and knee injuries have something to do with this...He looks nothing like what I saw in past demonstrations...except the slapping for sound effects that I saw even in demo videos of Mr. Palanzo where Mr. Parker was present....

Interesting videos to say the least...

NOZR1

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering why in 5 swords that he teaches to slightly cock the outward handsword when that is not moving from point of origin? :idunno:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
NOZR1 said:
I'm wondering why in 5 swords that he teaches to slightly cock the outward handsword when that is not moving from point of origin? :idunno:

IMHO, POO to POC is an over-rated, poorly understood concept in kenpo. The blow lacks momentum, even with rotational torque, and as such lacks any decent injurious penetration.

In a discussion of this w/ Mr. P, he even talked about the importance of exploring a continuous figure-8 in this opening (block, chop), so there would be some heft to the outward handsword (path tracking toward your own body, scraping the forearm and slightly downward, prior to passing the ear on the path back out toward the target).

Sorry for the thread drift, but this has been on my mind a bit.

Regards,

Dave

NOZR1

White Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
The blow lacks momentum, even with rotational torque, and as such lacks any decent injurious penetration.
I agree, and I guess that is one reason the technique has changed in the AKKI. :supcool:

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NOZR1 said:

probably because the point of origin "rule" ranks second to the "effective execution rule". Meaning, if a weapon won't have enough power from it's point of origin it must be cocked first and then delivered. No weapon is to be delivered if it will not have its desired effect. Point of origin also does not mean a straight line. There are circular points of origin as well.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
probably because the point of origin "rule" ranks second to the "effective execution rule". Meaning, if a weapon won't have enough power from it's point of origin it must be cocked first and then delivered. No weapon is to be delivered if it will not have its desired effect. Point of origin also does not mean a straight line. There are circular points of origin as well.
Duh! :) Somethings are so obvious they should bite you in the butt. Well said sir.

NOZR1

White Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Meaning, if a weapon won't have enough power from it's point of origin it must be cocked first and then delivered. No weapon is to be delivered if it will not have its desired effect.
I don't agree with this. You don't cock a jab do you? You use it to set up your next punch I hope. I guess it really depends where you want to put the emphasis/timing on this technique. Although I'm not certain, I would have to believe that is why the AKKI changed this technique.
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Point of origin also does not mean a straight line. There are circular points of origin as well.
I agree, it depends upon which method of execution you choose.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NOZR1 said:
I don't agree with this. You don't cock a jab do you? You use it to set up your next punch I hope. I guess it really depends where you want to put the emphasis/timing on this technique. Although I'm not certain, I would have to believe that is why the AKKI changed this technique. I agree, it depends upon which method of execution you choose.

Actually.........you do cock a jab if it's not the first punch thrown, just like the outward handsword in five swords isn't the first use of the right hand in that technique hense the re-cock or figure 8 depending on where you learned it. throw a jab and then throw a second one without recocking.......can't do it can you? Like I said point of origin doesn't mean what most people think it does. Point of origin also doesn't carry as much weight as people place on it.....The AKKI changed the technique to put a quicker stop to the opponent's left hand which is surely coming. Though there are other ways to stop the left hand the AKKI's version works as well.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
NOZR1 said:
I don't agree with this. You don't cock a jab do you? You use it to set up your next punch I hope. I guess it really depends where you want to put the emphasis/timing on this technique. Although I'm not certain, I would have to believe that is why the AKKI changed this technique. I agree, it depends upon which method of execution you choose.
"For record sir, jabs are cocked."

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NOZR1 said:
OK, I should have said drawn back not cocked. :)

depending on your stance the jab is drawn back. when you stand at attention and then "drop into a stance" and "ready your hands" for sparring what do you think you just did with your hands? hopefully you raised them, drew them back near your body for protection and "cocked" them for jabs, crosses and other blows."

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
You do cock a jab even if it is the first punch thrown.

Yep, but it was easier for me to compare it to the five swords as a second move. When are you going to be on the east coast sir? I have to see you again.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Yep, but it was easier for me to compare it to the five swords as a second move. When are you going to be on the east coast sir? I have to see you again.
As of now sir, the closest I'll be is Tampa Florida the weekend of the 3rd of November. I'll have my top guys with me. Contact Kenny Gonzales at
[email protected]
Common down and we can spend a buch of time together. It would be good to see you too sir.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Hey Doc!

Kevin and myself will see you in Tampa! I will bring my note book and pencile to take lots of notes.
Thanks for the warning - I mean, it will be good to see you. :)

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would you all like to know why Mr. Joe did what he has done. All of our students were having trouble learning these techniques, his sontried to come up with an easier way to learn this stuff. He did this by breaking the techniques down into the first three levels which puts you at a black belt. None of you really know what they had to go through to put this tape out there and none of you know how much money they have been making and how many students they have gotten from them, especially after the Supershow in Las Vegas. The tapes were supposed to be like a training lesson for the two individuals. THey were supposed to make mistakes so Mr. Joe could fix them. For some people to compare this to a McDojo, I am ashamed. I have been teaching at that school for almost 5 yearsand it is no where near that.
"To see is to know, but to feel is to believe."

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
..... When are you going to be on the east coast sir? I have to see you again.
I was really hoping that he was going to say there was a date planned to be in columbus. :)

Latest Discussions