Joe Palanzo, Rank, and Other Kenpo Gossip

Mikael151

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He had intestinal fortitude ... just ask someone who was around during his conversation with the widow Parker at the SGM's Funeral. Joe was a brave man then and he is a brave man now.keep on banging away Joe.
You mean AT the funeral?

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In searching old MT posts I found a reference to the aforementioned conversation having something to do with Joe Palanzo and Mrs. Parker and Joe's 8th Degree.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
In searching old MT posts I found a reference to the aforementioned conversation having something to do with Joe Palanzo and Mrs. Parker and Joe's 8th Degree.

Dude, you'll probably get flamed for that one. From what I understand, there were a few people that approached Mrs. Parker at the funeral for increases in rank. Today, that wouldn't be necessary. People can just buy their rank belts and certificates online and become an instant Grand Master.

http://http://kenpobelts.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=22963a27e46c371cb7ef2e4507c4c24a

OP
M

Mikael151

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Asking for rank at Mr. Parker's funeral? I'm guessing someone who didn't like him made that up.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was pretty shocked when I saw the allusions - so I searched for Rank Parker funeral. Interesting results. Dunno what I would be flamed for - all I did was post that I had found a hit in a search. For the record - Joe Palanzo's 8th Degree came under the auspices of the WKKA. Not the IKKA.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, I'm starting this new thread and splitting some things off from the film footage of Joe Palanzo. Any rank or funeral related issues can be discussed here.

Mike

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Way back I did hear the many rumors of this happening but then, as now, most of us looked upon this as just that, a rumor. I do not believe that Joe P. would stoop low enough to do this sort of thing. Hang the rumor spreader.
:whip:

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that rumor a zillion times over.

Here is a question.

Why bring up something that may or may not have happened in someone else's life 17 YEARS AGO?

The past is the past, and I am sure that all of us (me included) would feel like hiding under our beds if any parts of our life got publically exposed.

Let's move on.

Joe Palanzo has done a truckload for the art of American Kenpo, bottom line.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Here is a question.

Why bring up something that may or may not have happened in someone else's life 17 YEARS AGO?

The past is the past, and I am sure that all of us (me included) would feel like hiding under our beds if any parts of our life got publically exposed.

Let's move on.

Bingo.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is a question.

Let's move on.

Ta-Da!

We all have crap in our sewers; skeletons in our closets; whatever. Let buried dogs lay, I say. Replace this with, "What have you done for kenpo today?" Accomplishes two things: Forward, growth oriented focus, and keeps it about you...not the next guy over.

D.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Apologies if anyone was offended - I didn't ever suspect a reference to older posts would have blown into a new thread. Us young cubs are curious and sometimes we stick our snouts into a porcupine tryin to find out what it is.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apologies if anyone was offended - I didn't ever suspect a reference to older posts would have blown into a new thread. Us young cubs are curious and sometimes we stick our snouts into a porcupine tryin to find out what it is.

No harm, no foul.

When Mr. Parker passed, kenpo panicked. There were cries for leadership; cries of "Now I'm the king" from members in the upper echelons; it was chaos. There had been tensions in kenpo well before 12/90, but many ego's and upwardly mobile social climbers were held in check by Mr. Parkers ... um... gregarious iron hand in a velvet glove?

There were about a dozen well-positioned leaders.. kenpo elders...when Mr. P. left us. Some made immediate leaps for the throne, some waited a little longer, and some still leave the throne for others, while just leading by living excellent examples. There was lots of jockeying for position. I wish I could say I was sin-free/high-road/smelling like a rose all the way, but I can't: I approached one of the 7ths with a plan for creating a catch-all org to snap up orphans that were being created on a daily basis as new assn's were being born and dying. He very kindly and mildly put me in my place, and mentioned that there was already some dialogue going on among the seniors about how to address such issues; to be patient. I never brought it up again, realizing I had been boorish and ridiculous; tacky and out of turn (hey...we all gotta be good at something).

When this was all fresh, any one mans actions around reaching for the top were notable and newsworthy...it was new, and we were all watching to see what would happen next. Not so new now. We have guys out there who weren't even black belts yet that out-rank where the seniors were in '90. We got guys wearing kenpo 10ths who couldn't hold a candle to some 4ths and 5ths of yesteryear. and so many competing organizations it ain't even funny. "Too much red in kenpo", is the saying that stays in mind.

I've stopped looking at belt ranks, and started looking at leadership of the individuals. The men I respect most in kenpo are those who show us what it looks like to do it/live it well. Seniors and semi-seniors who can enlighten both technically, and by example of their living a life well lived. Ron Chap'el is one of the kindest men you might chance to meet, and an amazing resource on technical kenpo who shows us what it looks like to hold yourself and your people to a higher standard of uncompromising excellence. Bob White has continued to provide quality leadership through example in his school and community, turning out champions and helping youth all along the way. Steve LaBounty has wrapped his arms around as much of the kenpo world as will have him, focusing on inclusion rather than exclusion, and giving of himself for the furtherance of our collective kenpo legacy. Men like Dennis Conatser and Rich Hale continue to live their commitments by producing top-quality students and top-quality materials, while welcoming inquiries from those who wish to learn.

As with any field of endeavor, we walk among both small men and giants. I am, too often, small. I've stuck my own nose in a lot of porcupines, and even created a few along the way that weren't really necessary. And I'm probably not done yet, I'm sure. What I can try to do is spend more time nosing around for the golden nuggets of kenpo wisdom still out there to be found. It might be a little "kumbayah" for some, but I think -- in the long run -- it will contribute more to my own "life well lived" in retrospect from some distant point.

Regards,

D.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Here is a question.

Let's move on.

Although it did happen just the way it has been described. You could have filled a stadium with a number of people that did the same thing. It was a bad time.
Sean

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
D,

Very good post! Tried to rep you for that but I apparently need to do more kumbayah-ing first...

- Ceicei

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although it did happen just the way it has been described. You could have filled a stadium with a number of people that did the same thing. It was a bad time.
Sean

I know what you are saying Sean, but it was still 17 YEARS AGO!

Next.....

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is a question.

Let's move on.

Well said! :asian:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ta-Da!

We all have crap in our sewers; skeletons in our closets; whatever. Let buried dogs lay, I say. Replace this with, "What have you done for kenpo today?" Accomplishes two things: Forward, growth oriented focus, and keeps it about you...not the next guy over.

D.
To an old AA burnout (me--but a sober one:ultracool), this post really pops and sizzles. There's a lifetime of work just taking care of my own shortcomings without going looking for those of others.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
To my AA Brother with 18 months (who wishes to remain anonymous--or just forgot to leave name :D), congrats on the 18 month birthday, and thanks for the rep! :)

Now, we'll give the semi-hijacked thread back. :D

Latest Discussions