Jinekan Training Methodology!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since we have another thread talking about the X-Kan Genbukan I thought I would start up a thread to talk about the Jinekan Training Methodology. Soke Manaka Unsui is the head of this organization and while he was taught by Hatsumi Soke, I am sure that his Jinekan has many
differences from the Bujinkan. (His own flavor so to speak of the Takamatsu Den Arts)

Here is the Main Headquarters website :

http://jinenkan.com/en/Default.htm

http://www.yasuragicenter.com/

Yasuragicenter
Video Clips
http://www.yasuragicenteronline.com/content/download/trailer/trailer1.html
http://www.yasuragicenteronline.com/content/download/trailer/trailer2.html
http://www.yasuragicenteronline.com/content/download/trailer/trailer3.html
http://www.yasuragicenteronline.com/content/download/trailer/trailer4.html

Enjoy these clips as they are very nice!

Hopefully we can have some nice discussion regarding the Jinekan Methodology of Training.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I too hope the discussions will be enjoyable. Just an FYI Manaka Sensei does not claim to be a Soke. The title he uses for the Jinenkan Org. is Kancho.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too hope the discussions will be enjoyable. Just an FYI Manaka Sensei does not claim to be a Soke. The title he uses for the Jinenkan Org. is Kancho.

Hey Dale glad to have you here. I took a quick look around your website and it is very nicely laid out!
icon14.gif
We have people here from Bujinkan, To Shin Do, Genbukan and now Jinekan. I look forward to hearing about your experience within the Jinekan and how postively it has affected your life.

No offense meant by using Soke I will use Kancho for your sensei in the future.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know nothing of Jinekan, so it will be interesting to hear more about it. In a positive manner of course. ;)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Dale glad to have you here. I took a quick look around your website and it is very nicely laid out!
icon14.gif
We have people here from Bujinkan, To Shin Do, Genbukan and now Jinekan. I look forward to hearing about your experience within the Jinekan and how postively it has affected your life.

I know nothing of Jinekan, so it will be interesting to hear more about it. In a positive manner of course. ;)

Agree with both of these. I also know nothing of substance of Jinekan, but would like to. I will be reading these posts with open eyes and mind.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sir,

Being totally ignorant of titles and such in the Japanese arts, can you explain what Kancho means and where it comes from. This is by no means a challenger and I apologize if my question asked in ignorance is insulting. I do not mean it as such. I am just trying to read and undertand more.

Thanks

makoto-dojo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sir,

Being totally ignorant of titles and such in the Japanese arts, can you explain what Kancho means and where it comes from. This is by no means a challenger and I apologize if my question asked in ignorance is insulting. I do not mean it as such. I am just trying to read and undertand more.

Thanks

Hi,

Kan= "hall" refers to the organization, cho means chief.

HTH,

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kan= "hall" refers to the organization, cho means chief.
Richard's literal transaltion is correct. It can also be termed as "head of family or house".

This is by no means a challenger and I apologize if my question asked in ignorance is insulting. I do not mean it as such. I am just trying to read and undertand more.
Rich, it is not insulting to ask a legitimate question. Most people do not know what the title Kancho means. Therefore, no offense is taken.

Brian thanks for the introduction. I am glad that you liked the website. I have been lurking for a while. By the way, no offense taken either. I look forward to the positive discussions in thread.:)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I think its fantastic that Brian has started these threads!:ultracool It gives the chance for people, like myself, who really don't have alot of knowledge about the various X-Kans, to grasp a better understanding.

I do have two questions, that I hope Mr. Joseph can answer.

My first question is: What is a typical Jinenkan class like?

My second question is: I realize that Manaka Sensei came from a Bujinkan background, and then moved on to form his own org. Could you explain some of the differences/similarities between the two arts?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your reply.:asian:

Mike

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello Dale.

I would really like to know:

1) What an avergare class runs like. (Warm ups? Cardio? Ukemi etc?)
2) What the ranking system is like in the Jinenkan? I have heard there are three belts before shodan (green, purple and brown?) but are there any stripes between these ranks? How long would the average students of average skill take between ranks?

Thank you very much in advance
~Nick

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Allright I will try to answer these questions to the best of my ability and solely based upon my experience.

A typical class at the Jinenkan honbu starts with us bowing in of course.

1. punching exercise - 10 times per side
2. hichojustu waza - which consists of left and right ura then omote shuto
uchi using tobi also at a count of ten
3. keri waza which consists of zenpo geri, sokuho geri, koho geri (both
versions) which also consists of a 10 count per rt. and left side.
4. Zenpo kaiten and koho kaiten around the dojo.
5. Then we train on the topic that Sensei has outlined for class.

This is not a set standard. However it is typically how honbu classes are ran.

At the Jinenkan Butoku Dojo Our intermediate and advance classes run similar to this.

I joined the Bujinkan in when I lived in Houston, Texas under John Lindsey (Now Genbukan) in 1988. I was one of the fortunate few to meet Manaka Sensei when he was still a member of the Bujinkan on his 1st visits to America in 1988 (Dayton SOI), 1989(2 TX. seminars in El Paso and Austin, and 1991 in New Mexico. My meeting and training with Sensei changed the course of my training forever. Though I was and became proficient at many things. Manaka Sensei's ability to make his movement seem so simple and effortless is what grasped my attention.

The differences between the Jinenkan and Bujinkan in my opinion are the attention to details and the openess in which Manaka Sensei provides the information. Most of the beginning stages is solely based on concentrating and mastering the kihon happo. Not just having a profenciency with it but to literally understand and master the movements and techniques through continued practice.

Manaka Sensei teaches directly from the densho as he was taught by Hatsumi Sensei. Being the 1st student only after about 3 years since Hatsumi Sensei started training with Takamatsu Sensei. There was not much else to train from.

We do not have a specific yearly theme. At the honbu Manaka Sensei may work on a particular part of a ryu-ha. For example Kukishin rokushakubojutsu will practiced for a certain time frame, stating with kihon until he feels that everyone has a certain proficiency with it. Then move on to maybe Koto Ryu working on the Moto Waza or kihon section of the ryu-ha then working on the katas over and over again until the characteristics, flavor, and understanding has been achieved.

The Jinenkan Butoku Dojo trains in the same manner. For example we are working on Naginata for the past 6 months and about to transition to Koto Ryu Koppojutsu densho material.

As far as rank the Jinenkan has 3 recognized kyu levels 3rd kyu - 1st kyu. Each dojo cho can format their own kyu levels for any additional kyu levels prior to that. Some start at 9th kyu others start at 6th kyu. The dan ranks start at Shodan and go through KyuDan.

The length between ranks is solely dependant on the student and his teacher. I have had students that have exceeded others or are more committed to the training than others. Therefore, I cannot give a generalized or average time frame for ranks.

I believe that I have answered the immediate questions posed at this time. Though not in order, if I have missed something or need to elaborate further, please let me know.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dale thanks for your post and I look forward to hearing more about your training and insight into the Takamatsu den arts!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very informative. Thanks for that. Looking forward to even more concerning Jinekan. I know not even enough to ask informed questions at this point though, so I am going to play "lurker" for the most part on this thread for awhile.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good information Dale :) Thanks for sharing. One of the few things I dislike about both Genbukan and Jinekan is the lack of mentioning training with Hatsumi. Is there a legitimate reason for this? For instance, on your web page, you comment training in "another ninpo taijutsu" and "other organization", but don't actually say Bujinkan or Hatsumi. I've noticed similar things with the Genbukan home page. Is it a matter of trying to seperate yourselves, or possibly out of respect, not wanting to "bad mouth" Hatsumi? No disrespect intended, I'm just trying to figure it out...

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but if so, I've been unable to find it on MTalk. If discussed elsewhere, I do apologize.

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good information Dale :) Thanks for sharing. One of the few things I dislike about both Genbukan and Jinekan is the lack of mentioning training with Hatsumi. Is there a legitimate reason for this? For instance, on your web page, you comment training in "another ninpo taijutsu" and "other organization", but don't actually say Bujinkan or Hatsumi. I've noticed similar things with the Genbukan home page. Is it a matter of trying to seperate yourselves, or possibly out of respect, not wanting to "bad mouth" Hatsumi? No disrespect intended, I'm just trying to figure it out...

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but if so, I've been unable to find it on MTalk. If discussed elsewhere, I do apologize.

I think Dale Saego once said that this was down out of respect to Hatsumi-Sensei. (Maybe so that people cannot say he is not trying to ride anyone else's reputation etc)

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As indicated in the last thread this is done purely out of respect for Hatsumi Sensei. Anyone who knows me already knows my beginnings in the Bujinkan. If anyone asks I have no problem stating that. However, I also no longer feel the need to promote it. I don't feel the need to downplay or criticize the Bujinkan in any way shape or form. After all, we were all one. I respect Hatsumi Sensei very highly as I do Manaka Sensei.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As indicated in the last thread this is done purely out of respect for Hatsumi Sensei. Anyone who knows me already knows my beginnings in the Bujinkan. If anyone asks I have no problem stating that. However, I also no longer feel the need to promote it. I don't feel the need to downplay or criticize the Bujinkan in any way shape or form. After all, we were all one. I respect Hatsumi Sensei very highly as I do Manaka Sensei.

Nice post Dale and well said. Respect I am sure goes both ways. Whether Bujinkan, Genbukan or Jinekan the roots are the same they are all Takamatsu den arts. There may be disagreements sometimes but there are good people all around.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brian you are correct, respect should be shown on all sides. I still have friends in the Bujinkan and I still respect my 1st instructor John Lindsey though he is now Genbukan. Of course we have not seen each other in a number of years. However, I would not be here without Hatsumi Sensei, John Lindsey Sensei and of course Manaka Sensei.

Philosophies on teaching the information may be different. But yes still one. I always wonder if other arts like Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu have the type of issues as the Takamatsu-Den arts. They too have 3 different branches. I am more familiar with the Sekiguchi Branch only because I have students that formely studied under that branch. It seems, though the original founder was the same, they have respect for each others differences and their branches without a lot of contreversies.

Latest Discussions