Jackie Chan On MMA

hzulkar

White Belt
Reaction score
Misunderstood your earlier comment. Sorry 'bout that. And you chose the example that MMA is big in Japan, so I made the assumption. But the difference is a sporting event and a real life situation. That is where it differs. In sports, don't hit your opponent when he is down. That is the opinion of some people, even when they know some grappling and groundfighting techniques. But in real life, hit him until he is out of the equation, even when he is on the ground. Since MMA is a sport, so that is where his opinion is from.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Misunderstood your earlier comment. Sorry 'bout that. And you chose the example that MMA is big in Japan, so I made the assumption. But the difference is a sporting event and a real life situation. That is where it differs. In sports, don't hit your opponent when he is down. That is the opinion of some people, even when they know some grappling and groundfighting techniques. But in real life, hit him until he is out of the equation, even when he is on the ground. Since MMA is a sport, so that is where his opinion is from.

Ok no worries. My mother taught me when I was young to never hit a man when he's down as kicking him is easier :ultracool
It just that I don't get the thing about not hitting him when he's down and you are too! thats the same as if you were both standing!

It's not often actually in MMA that you can hit a man when he's down, it depends on how he's down ie how many points of contact, also when down you will bring them down with you or cover up. I think it's a case that one needs to know the rules of the sport before one can criticise it, if you don't know you are arguing from a point of ignorance. Many who criticise or say they can't stand MMA assume they know what they are talking about and they don't. Jet Li for example says he likes the sport but would get badly beaten if he took part.

TheLegend731

White Belt
Reaction score
I respect Jackie to no ends. He is an awesome guy. But wasn't he just a practitioner of chinese opera? Not a legit martial art? I may be ignorant here, but that's what I had always known.

But in my opinion, since there are so many different martial arts out there, with their own ideals and purposes, narrowing the purpose of martial arts to simply self-defense or respect is a bit too close-minded. Maybe for his martial art that may be true, but for some martial arts, you kill them while they're down.

My 2 cents

alcatraz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whilst I respect what Mr. Chan has done within the field of entertainment, and whilst I also respect his views on MMA, I must say that he must be very naive about the nature of MMA.

The clue is in the name. MIXED Martial Arts. The sport is full-contact in nature, and the aim of the sport is defeat your opponent within the framework of the rules format.

The rules allow for striking a grounded opponent (to a degree).

Now let's take this away from Sport and say your opponent is on the deck and you cannot disengage due to some sort of restraint (eg enviroment). If I wasn't sure that I could get away safely; that my opponent wasn't going to get back up and try and do me some harm...then I'm afraid that hitting a downed opponent wouldn't make me feel bad in the slightest.

Now, getting back to the sport side.

The sport side of any Martial Art format is allegedly to give us a safe enviroment which allows us to practice our technique against a non-compliant opponent.

Within the framework of the rules, isn't that exactly what MMA does?

Sport Karate doesn't allow for any degree of groundwork, so within the framework of that format, I would be quite disgusted to see someone get taken to the ground and GnP'd. After all the rules should be known before competing.

On the other hand, due to the MIXED element of MMA, and because the format IS full contact, I would expect to see someone (within the limits of the rules) do whatever they can to ensure that they have won the fight.

(Cavaet: With the exeption of 'Lay and Pray' as favoured by Josh 'The Blanket' Kostchek).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the problem is that Jackie is confused about the rules........there is no grappling or ground fighting in Chinese Opera play fighting.

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are right, in no way is MMA a street fight, by mimics I meant it simulates....with rules of course...do we really want bats in MMA? Multiple Opponents? It can only go so far.

Even experienced MMA practicioners will tell you that it's nothing like a street fighting. With that said, I think an MMA practicioner is a lot better equipped for a street fight than MA from other styles and certainly more than your average Joe.

With the rules removed, you think they wouldn't perform well? If anything, is that they will be in a better position to defend themselves.

MMA mimics a street fight as in there are rules and a referee to separate you when there is a risk of injury ? I think you have your facts wrong sir. It is nothing like a street fight and usually in street fights there are multiple opponents so chances are you won't want to groundfight if there are multiple attackers. MMA is a sport not self-defense . Please understand that.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right, in no way is MMA a street fight, by mimics I meant it simulates....with rules of course...do we really want bats in MMA? Multiple Opponents? It can only go so far.

Even experienced MMA practicioners will tell you that it's nothing like a street fighting. With that said, I think an MMA practicioner is a lot better equipped for a street fight than MA from other styles and certainly more than your average Joe.

With the rules removed, you think they wouldn't perform well? If anything, is that they will be in a better position to defend themselves.

MMA with a bat is a dog brothers gathering.

As for 'street fights'......they're often overrated. MMA sport fighting is not like a street fight in a few key ways, but the difference isn't always what it's made out to be.

MMA opponents are almost always more skilled than the random street drunk.

MMA does not have weapons.

MMA does not involve the potential for multiple opponents.

But many folks make way to much of the differences, because the reality is that there are more similarities than there are differences, especially compared to what a lot of other folks are doing with their martial arts training.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think Jackie Chan threw in a boxing reference. Comparing boxing to the true martial arts spirit. You can't hit the guy while he is down boxing.

In MMA you've got to defend. That's what makes MMA so interesting the difference in technique.

Latest Discussions