Jackie Chan the New Miyagi

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New actors could draw in new fans...if they give it a sufficiently different name ("Kung Fu Kid"?), I can accept it!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll be lucky. They'll take what is a classic story line (coming of age with the help of a mentor), whether it's boxing, martial arts, football, or something else, and do another good job of it. Will Smith has the acting chops and pull with the studios to do it. The question is whether he simply wants a vehicle for Jaden -- or wants to establish a solid name for Jaden.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So who is the perfect pick to play the Cobra Kai Sensei?

Martin Kove is still making moveis, still a bad-***
MV5BMTMxMjg0Njc2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzYzMzYy._V1._SX300_SY400_.jpg

or how about Luis Guzman
3205121_tml.jpg

or this guy
M3_Hugo_Weaving_008.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can’t get this scene out of my head

Will Smith’s son: Yes sensei…err aaaaa… I mean Sifu…or is it Sensei

Jackie Chan: Forget that… I shall teach you Gongfu… NO.. I MEAN… Wushu… err…aaa Quanfa…. No..not quanfa….. I mean Karate….

And where does this all take place????

BEIJING!!! :banghead:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i nominate jeff speakman as the cobra kai sensei.

on a side note, toshiro mifune was originally offered the part of mr. miyagi but turned it down because he was already contracted to do another movie (which bombed). think how terrifying mr. miyagi could have been.

jf

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i nominate jeff speakman as the cobra kai sensei.

on a side note, toshiro mifune was originally offered the part of mr. miyagi but turned it down because he was already contracted to do another movie (which bombed). think how terrifying mr. miyagi could have been.

jf
Mifune would've been a terrific Mr Miyagi that's for sure but Morita nailed it just as good.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I like Jackie Chan I guess I'd have preferred something a little more ... I don't know, really. I'm thinking maybe they could've gotten Fumio Demura (who was Pat Morita's double in the first movie) and have him do Mr. Miyagi. That would've been an interesting casting choice, IMO.

Pax,

Chris

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
So who is the perfect pick to play the Cobra Kai Sensei?

Martin Kove is still making moveis, still a bad-***
MV5BMTMxMjg0Njc2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzYzMzYy._V1._SX300_SY400_.jpg

or how about Luis Guzman
3205121_tml.jpg

or this guy
M3_Hugo_Weaving_008.jpg

"On the street , if a man faces you he is the enemy. And the enemy deserves NO MERCY".

Interesting that 25 years ago they tried to make that belief sound "evil". Quite the contrast from the contemporary MA scene nowadays( FWIW I have but very little issue with the sentiments in that line, just a reflection on how times have changed).

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
"On the street , if a man faces you he is the enemy. And the enemy deserves NO MERCY".

Interesting that 25 years ago they tried to make that belief sound "evil". Quite the contrast from the contemporary MA scene nowadays( FWIW I have but very little issue with the sentiments in that line, just a reflection on how times have changed).

It can be evil, if, like the kids in the movie, you apply what should be a self-defense philosophy to a schoolyard fight (particularly one that you have instigated). The sensei should have been teaching his students the difference.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's interesting about this is that my son and I actually watched this about a month ago. My son loved it.

In watching it again, I thought it was pretty cool that they emphasized at the end that it was the teacher responsible for the actions of the students. At the end of the movie, all of the kids without exception (as I recall) felt remorseful for their actions and many questioned what they were being told to do but were intimidated.

I think that schools are very much a product of the school owner. The students that stick tend to be ones that reflect the attitudes and beliefs of the instructor.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I liked the first 3. Yeah, I liked the 3rd one too. Afterall Weintraub was a huge Rocky fan and the Daniel character had to go full circle. I am a bit unsure as to Chan and Smith doing the roles.

Part of what made movies like "Star Wars", "Rocky", "Highlander", "Mad Max", and "Karate Kid" so cool was they were more or less lead by a bunch of unknowns.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate Kid Remake Plot Details Revealed

The film’s plot is broadly the same as the original 1984 film, but with many little differences. The Daniel Larusso character, played by Jaden Smith, has been renamed Dre (I kid you not) and is a skateboarding video game buff. With the fear of layoffs looming over her U.S. job, Dre’s single mother accepts an offer to transfer to the China office. Of course, unable to speak Chinese, Dre finds it hard to settle in, and gets beat up by the local bully.

The Mr. Myiagi character has been renamed Mr. Han, played by Jackie Chan, spots a black-eyed Dre practicing martial-arts kicks as part of a Wii-style video game and agrees to teach him both martial arts and Chinese. The John Kreese’ character has been renamed Li Quan Ha, and is now the owner of the Fighting dragon school of Kung-Fu.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
And it appears they are calling it the...[shudder].... the Kung Fu Kid.... oh this is going to suck

We're long past 'suck,' and well into some other netherworld.

I predict this film will make us look fondly upon The Exorcist II.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great, another sucky remake. Thanks Hollywood for ruining part of my childhood.

Latest Discussions