I've been doing Tang Soo Do for a year!?

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My, how time flies. I remember posting here for the first time a year ago, in May. I was a new white belt and I remember asking a lot of questions. I still have a lot of questions! Always will. I thank everyone for their patience and willingness to help out then and now.

I remember how much I had to learn as a white belt. I thought yellow belt was much easier to be honest. Boy, was I ever stiff in the Gi Cho Hyungs. Metal is definitely appropriate. I'm more fluid now and have some explosiveness. Those five elements are going to take a long time to master (if ever) but it's nice to see some progress.

Then came orange belt with the Pyung Ahn forms; E Dan was especially challenging because of the reverse moves. I actually thought Pyung Ahn Sam Dan at green belt was less difficult. But Pyung Ahn Sam Dan requires a lot more balance.

At the green belt level, things are getting harder technically, yet easier in some ways. I'm more flexible (that's not saying much for me - my side kick would be very effective on a male attacker but not so useful in sparring since we have to kick above the belt, lol - it's useful in that I can make the guys jump away though :) ), and I have a lot more balance and control.

I am learning to compensate for my flat feet, bunions and hammer toes. I still can't balance on one leg while pulling my other leg up by the ball. I try like heck though. The spinning hook kick reminds me that I still have a long ways to go with balance. I have to break a board with that kick to pass my 3rd gup test (November of this year if I pass all my spotlights and tests). Yikes. I am practicing. A lot of people do not pass 3rd gup because they can't break the board with the spinning hook kick.

I have a lot more endurance than I did a year ago. I can do 300 crunches in a row with no problem. I can't quite make 150 leg raises but will get there. I will always have a love/hate relationship with squat thrusts (ok, I hate the darn things but want to love them). I can do a lot more pushups and do at least 30 on my toes. If I'd practice daily...ahem...I could do more.

I'm still nervous before every class just like it's my first class. I don't know why I am but I wish I could get over it. I try to clear my mind on the way to class.

I have minor injuries which I'm sure is normal. I move my foot but my little toe likes to stay and turn red and blue. I've learned to tape the toes. I have really and truly awful elbow tendonitis. I think that developed from punching drills. I have a band around the arm below the elbow and that's really helping. I suspect the tendonitis will hang around for a year or so. I started wearing knee supports because if I move a certain way, I feel like my knees are going to give way. Scary feeling. I did have tendonitis in my left wrist from doing fingertip pushups. That took nine months to go away. I sprained two toes in January from doing "bunny hops" - you squat all the way down and then jump over objects. (Is that plyometrics?) Or they could be broken - they are at weird angles to one another - kinda like parathenses. They don't hurt anymore and I did have them x-rayed. The radiologist never called so I assume they were sprained, not broken.

Luckily, I haven't had any injuries that have kept me out of class :) Now, that would really stink.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynne cangrats on a year of training, kep going. All in all it sounds like you had fun.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne cangrats on a year of training, kep going. All in all it sounds like you had fun.
Thank you, Master Terry. It has been a lot of fun. I believe TSD is one of the most important things I've ever done in my life.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, Lynne! That is awesome. I also remember when you first started posting, It sounds like you've come a long way! Good luck in the rest of your training.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! As you're now doubt seeing, the more you learn, the more there is to learn - enjoy your continuing journey.

Latest Discussions