Its wing chun worth learning

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
Was thinking of starting wing chun as a form of self defence is it worth it or am i better off studying something else

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I would say so.

It is not the fastest route to combat effectiveness, it will take years before you can use it, and you will probably want to diversify your training a bit, but totally worth the effort.

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I would say so.

It is not the fastest route to combat effectiveness, it will take years before you can use it, and you will probably want to diversify your training a bit, but totally worth the effort.

Would it help if i started something different first, if so what would be ideal?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of starting wing chun as a form of self defence is it worth it or am i better off studying something else
It depends what you want. If WC interests you - if it's aesthetically pleasing and you like the format and formality of it - you're likely to work harder and attend more often. That and the quality of instruction is more important than style in most cases.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me preface this with "Wing Chun is my favorite" system to train. (I train several others)
Most WC training I have been exposed to is lacking as to being a complete self defense or fighting system because it isn't and therefore it isn't trained as a complete system.
WC is a relatively simple system yet highly complex in function and application. Unfortunately many do very little realistic pressure testing under the guise of it is too dangerous or deadly. Find a good instructor, have fun, and give it time for development wc can be a very effective method of training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it help if i started something different first, if so what would be ideal?
If you are looking for the fastest route to some self-defense proficiency (not trying to cover everything, just getting some useful tools), a few months of boxing is probably a useful start. That might slow your initial development a bit in WC (some conflicting principles), but in the general timeline of your overall development, it's likely to make a positive difference.

(And I'd say the same for almost any traditional art, so that's not a shot a WC.)

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me preface this with "Wing Chun is my favorite" system to train. (I train several others)
Most WC training I have been exposed to is lacking as to being a complete self defense or fighting system because it isn't and therefore it isn't trained as a complete system.
WC is a relatively simple system yet highly complex in function and application. Unfortunately many do very little realistic pressure testing under the guise of it is too dangerous or deadly. Find a good instructor, have fun, and give it time for development wc can be a very effective method of training.

Is it easy to spot a bad instructor as i dont have much experience in martial arts

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are looking for the fastest route to some self-defense proficiency (not trying to cover everything, just getting some useful tools), a few months of boxing is probably a useful start. That might slow your initial development a bit in WC (some conflicting principles), but in the general timeline of your overall development, it's likely to make a positive difference.

(And I'd say the same for almost any traditional art, so that's not a shot a WC.)

Thanks

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
It depends what you want. If WC interests you - if it's aesthetically pleasing and you like the format and formality of it - you're likely to work harder and attend more often. That and the quality of instruction is more important than style in most cases.

Would there be more effective martial arts for defending myself
Are you able to spot a bad school teacher/professor? How about a sports coach?

I suppose so depends on the prior knowledge of the subject

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
Also do you know if there is much sparring involved in wc

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also do you know if there is much sparring involved in wc
Honestly, if there isn't I would keep walking, or at least find someone to spar with after class. If you don't pressure test it it you'll never be able to use it when it counts.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose so depends on the prior knowledge of the subject
One may not be able to spot such immediately but in time there will be some telling signs.
Talk with and watch the other students, do they understand and can they do what the instructor is showing?
Is the material something one can utilize in some functional fashion in a relatively short period of time. (not everything but some). One should be better at the end of a training session and walk away with something that can be utilized.
Is what being shown something that you feel is real and you can actually do or does it seem like BS.
Can you ask questions and get reasonable answers or at least something to research or think about reasonably?
Are the techniques something only the instructor can do?
Question, question, question.

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
One may not be able to spot such immediately but in time there will be some telling signs.
Talk with and watch the other students, do they understand and can they do what the instructor is showing?
Is the material something one can utilize in some functional fashion in a relatively short period of time. (not everything but some). One should be better at the end of a training session and walk away with something that can be utilized.
Is what being shown something that you feel is real and you can actually do or does it seem like BS.
Can you ask questions and get reasonable answers or at least something to research or think about reasonably?
Are the techniques something only the instructor can do?
Question, question, question.

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, if there isn't I would keep walking, or at least find someone to spar with after class. If you don't pressure test it it you'll never be able to use it when it counts.

Would a friend from the same class be good or would it be better to find someone from another martial art?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would a friend from the same class be good or would it be better to find someone from another martial art?
Anything is better than nothing, but the more experienced your sparring partners are the better it is for you.

OP
T

Tgs

White Belt
Reaction score
Anything is better than nothing, but the more experienced your sparring partners are the better it is for you

Thank you, one last question would you say there are any martial arts that would complement wing chung?

Latest Discussions