ITF Black Belt

PhillyArts

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I trained in ITF TKD making it up to red when my instructor moved to another state. I continued to train on my own and with a bunch of WTF friends of mine. For the past several years, my training has been informal, mostly just working out and practicing with my WTF friends. A few of them have recently began suggesting I test for 1st black. I still know my patterns and all but I was unsure if it would be unethical since I have not formally trained in a while. In addition, one of the WTF guys said he would test me; however, I would rather have a test conducted by someone who knows the ITF patterns (I guess part of me is an ITF loyalist too:uhyeah: Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about a course of action or any advice on traditional tkd protocol. Thanks

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even if your friend is a wtf/kkw black belt he would have to be a 4th dan to test and certify you. The most basic requirements are the Taeguek poomsae, breaking and sparring. If you know them well enough and have made the basic stylistic changes between the Chong han tul and the taeguek poomsae then go for it. Otherwise you will have to go find an itf instructor, train with him/her for a while before they allow you to test.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Find a local itf school that you like and join up. see where you fit among their black belts. Otherwise there's always htf Tkd, which has both itf and Wtf patterns. I'm htf Tkd, but I personally would never test unless enrolled and actively training in a school with instructors I trusted to grade me properly.

Latest Discussions