Is this a formal boxing straight right hand?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All . I'd say that the forward weight transfer DB refers to is a really good foundational principle to apply most of the time, but there are definitely situations where you would take a different approach.

Alright then. I couldn't place what it was in the clip that looked unorthodox since the hips were doing its job but now I know. I think I confused the don't lean part with the forward transfer. It's probably also my traditional martial arts muscle memory.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know what you guys are referring to but doesn't that depend on from what range the right hand is thrown at my opponent? You really advocate doing the dive forward at all times and shadow boxing?

Not really. If you have thrown a lead right hand at a guy and didn't need to move forwards. You have probably eaten about 50 jabs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All of those (and more) can be found in boxing, but 2 & 3 are most foundational.

There is no "always" in boxing. For any rule you might learn in training, you can find footage of a world-class fighter breaking that rule deliberately and successfully. I'd say that the forward weight transfer DB refers to is a really good foundational principle to apply most of the time, but there are definitely situations where you would take a different approach.

Sorry. And that. So you would step in to range. And that range would require you to inch forwards. Because then you have a bit more body weight and a bit more range.

And this idea is pretty much how the bulk of successful boxing works.

So if I throw a technically poor punch. But can put momentum behind it. And be hitting you at the right time from the right place.

I will literally murder a guy who is technically better but dosent do those things as well.

Airlie Fight Nights

So here is a mate of mine. Blair. Now he doesn't throw anything like the crisp style of orthodox punches you are trying to do. But he does constantly throw shots from awkward angles.

And that wins fights.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you be able to show a vid of you throwing them with footwork/against a bag? That'll help people provide a lot more feedback for you.

If you've got access to one, take a video of you working a bag for a minute and ask for feedback on that.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now I got the forward weight transfer down that drop bear was talking about, after trying to erase pattern residuals from TMA....

I'll put the phone on a better place next time so you can see the feet as well.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree the forward transfer was lacking in my first clip but I was so blinded by TMA katas where we don't lean.. that I didn't even notice it! I saw that something was off even though my shoulder rotated fully but I couldn't nail it down.

Latest Discussions