Is there any technique in TaeKwonDo you have a pet peeve with?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mine is ITFs reverse turning kick. Spinning the leg with no chamber is slower and with weaker momentum. It's like swinging a log stiffly rather than slingshoting it. There is no discernable benefit to it either. Slower and less powerful than a spinning hook kick...The leg is heavier to swing around If you don't tuck it in

Annoyingly enough it was a favorite of my club, while the spinning hook kick was completely neglected.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All that jumping up and down while sparring. Looks like they are on a trampoline. Gives me motion sickness.

There has been a rules change in one of the ITFs that gives minus point If you don't do at least one jumping back kick per minute. Something like that.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twisting kick (bitureo chagi) - feels like there's not as much power in it as other available kicks and like a super unnatural position for the knee and hip (and as I've had surgery on both knees I'm really protective if I have to do unnatural positions). Fortunately it's not in Kukki-Taekwondo poomsae so I don't have to do it or demonstrate it often.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mine is ITFs reverse turning kick. Spinning the leg with no chamber is slower and with weaker momentum. It's like swinging a log stiffly rather than slingshoting it. There is no discernable benefit to it either. Slower and less powerful than a spinning hook kick...The leg is heavier to swing around If you don't tuck it in

Annoyingly enough it was a favorite of my club, while the spinning hook kick was completely neglected.
its got significantly greater momentum, if you can actually accelerate in the first place,

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Twisting kick (bitureo chagi) - feels like there's not as much power in it as other available kicks and like a super unnatural position for the knee and hip (and as I've had surgery on both knees I'm really protective if I have to do unnatural positions). Fortunately it's not in Kukki-Taekwondo poomsae so I don't have to do it or demonstrate it often.

I agree on the twist kick.

Also never was a fan of the spear hand techniques in the forms.

I guess it depends on how the school treasts the techniques. If they teach them for tradition's sake and move on I understand, but it would be annoying to me if there was a huge focus on them.

I studied both ITF & WT. Both schools treated it a little differently.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
There has been a rules change in one of the ITFs that gives minus point If you don't do at least one jumping back kick per minute. Something like that.
Its not jumping kicks, those are ok. Its the bouncing up and down for no reason.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All that jumping up and down while sparring. Looks like they are on a trampoline. Gives me motion sickness.

Used to love teaching my students how to time/blitz that bouncey bouncey.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its not jumping kicks, those are ok. Its the bouncing up and down for no reason.
People do it in (epee) fencing too. There's an important part of doing footwork that's pretty random but constant when you're waiting 2 minutes before the first lunge. But people translate it into bouncing and it just gives up openings.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Can you show a video of the kick you do not like?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree. Pretty useless kick.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Yeah that one seems designed to injure you:). It does make sense to have it but your opponent rarely stands shoulder to shoulder with you unless there is an arrest.

D

Deleted member 39746

My pet peeve is that some have you reset to your belt all the time in application as opposed to keeping a combat guard up. Not really a technique but it relates to application and annoys me.

Other than that, how they let you get away and consider kicks that you just get with say your big toe viable. you basically dont connect with suffcient amount of your foot to do anything or its not enough to not run a varying risk of injuring yourself. For example you hit somone with just your big toe.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My pet peeve is that some have you reset to your belt all the time in application as opposed to keeping a combat guard up. Not really a technique but it relates to application and annoys me.

Other than that, how they let you get away and consider kicks that you just get with say your big toe viable. you basically dont connect with suffcient amount of your foot to do anything or its not enough to not run a varying risk of injuring yourself. For example you hit somone with just your big toe.
the mechanics of bare foot kicking, are complex and yes you need to hit with the correct bit of the foot or it hurts you at least as much as them, the mechanics of kicking in robust foot ware is less problematic

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

One of my old sensei's I swear had a metal toe. It was absolutely painful getting hit in the ribs with his toe, and when he aimed it right, it hurt more than his shin.

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of my old sensei's I swear had a metal toe. It was absolutely painful getting hit in the ribs with his toe, and when he aimed it right, it hurt more than his shin.

Interesting!

My philosophy with round kicks is either hit with the shin or hit with a steel toe boot.:D

I can't imagine having to condition my toes to that extent!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since the day that we will use our MA skill to defend ourselves on the street, we will have shoes on. When we train kicking, should we train bare foot, or should we train with shoes on?

Some people may say that he just wants to train MA for sport (indoor environment). Should we set that unnecessary limitation to ourselves?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since the day that we will use our MA skill to defend ourselves on the street, we will have shoes on. When we train kicking, should we train bare foot, or should we train with shoes on?

Some people may say that he just wants to train MA for sport (indoor environment). Should we set that unnecessarn limitation to ourselves?
i always train with shoes on, even a decent pair of training shoes make a real differeance

Latest Discussions