How do you train ?

Harley_Ninja237

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do different exercises and conditoning on different days of the week with sunday as rest....but everyday at least 30 mins of cardio...almost weight lifting though,only body weight exercises...

here is a typical day though:

3 minute shadowboxing
3 minute foot work
3 3 minute round on heavybag
30 minutes on elliptical
250 push ups,5 sets of 50
500 sit ups with 20 lbs weight,5 sets of 60 and 5 sets of 40
then some leg stretches

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I train varies on any injuries I might be carrying and generally how well I feel.

An average, all round session for me would be something like this:

Warm up with thorough stretches: 30 mins
Freerunning(Usually a street circuit winding me up back at home): 30 mins-1 hour
Rewarmer and light stretches: 10-15 mins
Bicep Curls at 15 kilos an arm: 3 sets of 10
Sit Ups: 3 sets of 20
Squats with 20 kilo weight: 3 sets of 30
Pushups on fingertips: Sets of 10 taking away a finger each set til it's finger and thumb.
Back extensions: 3 Sets of 20
Calf raises with 20 kilo weight in each hand: 3 Sets of 20
Shoulder raises with 5 kilo weight: 3 Sets of 10
Bench Press with 35-45 kilo weight: 3 sets of 15
Light jog: 15 mins
Warm down with thorough stretches: 25 mins.

My Martial Arts training is done in the dojo and is seperate from the rest of what I do and that can be anything depending on the whims of my Sensei. (I'm not a Muay Thai fighter, but I thought I'd post my training up, hope that's okay, :D)

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cardio base:
4 mornings a week before work: 30 - 40 minutes run in the fields

Strength/power:
Weights (lunch break - 1 hr):
Mon - Chest and back
Flat Bench 4 sets, 5-6 reps 130kg
Standing row 4 sets, 8 reps, 100kg
Incline bench 3 stes, 6 reps 110kg
Cable lat pulldowns 4 sets, full stack

Tues - biceps
Standing dumbell curls, 4 sets, 6 reps 28kg per arm
Preacher dumbell curls, 4 sets, 8-10 reps 30-32kg
Cable curls, each arm, full stack
Light hammer curls, many reps for stamina

Weds - triceps
Skull crusher with eazi-bar 4 sets, 5-7 reps 70kg
Kickbacks dumbell, 4 sets, 8 - 12 reps, 16 - 22kg
Cable pulldowns, 3 sets 12 reps, full stack

Thrs - shoulds/legs
Military press dumbells, 4 sets, 6-10 reps, 40 - 46kg
Seated bar press, 3 sets, 6 reps 110kg
Cable work for rotator cuff
Squats - 5 sets, 8-10 reps, 180-200kg
Calves - smith press, 10-14 reps 4 sets 200-220kg
Leg extensions seated, full stack

Fri - chest/back
Bench dumbell Flys, 4 sets, 9-10reps, 50kg each
Bench incline flys, 4 sets 6-8 reps, 40-46kg
Seated rows, 4 sets, full stack
Behind the head cable pull downs - half to 3/4 stack
Deadlifts, 4 sets, 8 reps, 180kg

Sit ups - each morning after run, 100 - for each of lower/mid/upper abs, 50 each side for obliques

Fight conditioning/skills:
Heavy bag work in garage for kicking and boxing, most nights
Club sparring (MMA/grappling or goju ryu) x2 week

When I get closer to tournament, I cut back on the weights and spend more time sparring for fight fitness.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I noticed that all of you do cardio for 30 minutes or more. I recently got a personal trainer on wednesday and he explained that doing cardio for anything more than 20 minutes is instead eating muscles instead of fat. Now I don't remember exactly what else he said but when I see him on Monday I will ask more about it for you.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fiendlover, you may have noticed by my routine that I love martial arts but I also love weights. For many years I have complemented my martial training with weights and have found in most of my fights that my added strength has enabled me to beat many opponents, some who I would admit have been actually more technically able or experienced than I was.

I find if you are not running for at least 30 minutes several times a week you do not have enough residual stamina and endurance to go the distance in competiton/tournaments. Of course in a fight in the street this can be over more often than not in a much shorter time but in my opinion you always want to know you have reserves if you need to fight more than one opponent or need to flee as well.

Your trainer is right that the more cardio you do the more muscle you burn, but I do not find that 30-40mins impacts overly on my size and strength - you gotta decide your focus - are you doing your training for fighting - or do you want to get as muscular as you can and get up on the body building stage?? Either is fine but totally differnet goals and focus.

I offset my muscle burn by taking quite a lot of protein shakes as supplementaiton and eating a fair bit on top of that. It's a hard goal to be as strong and as fit as you possibly can at the same time but a proper diet goes a long way to enabling this.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fiendlover, you may have noticed by my routine that I love martial arts but I also love weights. For many years I have complemented my martial training with weights and have found in most of my fights that my added strength has enabled me to beat many opponents, some who I would admit have been actually more technically able or experienced than I was.

I find if you are not running for at least 30 minutes several times a week you do not have enough residual stamina and endurance to go the distance in competiton/tournaments. Of course in a fight in the street this can be over more often than not in a much shorter time but in my opinion you always want to know you have reserves if you need to fight more than one opponent or need to flee as well.

Your trainer is right that the more cardio you do the more muscle you burn, but I do not find that 30-40mins impacts overly on my size and strength - you gotta decide your focus - are you doing your training for fighting - or do you want to get as muscular as you can and get up on the body building stage?? Either is fine but totally differnet goals and focus.

I offset my muscle burn by taking quite a lot of protein shakes as supplementaiton and eating a fair bit on top of that. It's a hard goal to be as strong and as fit as you possibly can at the same time but a proper diet goes a long way to enabling this.
Good points. It makes excellence sense. :uhyeah:

Hyper_Shadow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most of my cardio work is freerun based. You use a lot of muscular sterngth to do such activities (watch jump London or Jump Britain if you need to see it). It's very good for getting a feel for your body and makign yourself mould to your optimum shape for your environment. It's been more chance than anything, but I've had only really positive effects from practising both MA and freerunning together.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train twice a day six days a week (when I can)

Mornings

Monday Running Heavy Bag work (emphasis on combos and kicks)
Tues Cycling , Heavy Bag (w/ emphasis on boxing and knees)
Weds Running Heavy Bag work (emphasis on combos and kicks)Thurs Cycling , Heavy Bag (w/ emphasis on boxing and knees)
Fri Running Heavy Bag work (emphasis on combos and kicks)
Sat Weights - Upper Body , Muay Thai

Weights - 6 mornings a week (working each muscle group twice a week)
Calatinics - 6 mornings a week

Muay Thai training (at the gym) at night 6 days a week (usually 5 b/c life gets in the way)

Class always starts off with about 3 rounds of 3 mins jumping rope, usually is followed by drills with the Thai Pads and lots of sparring (for the fight team) or more drills followed heavy calisthenics and other insanse aerobic drills to whip you into shape (which some times the fighters end up having to participte in as well).

Check out my Montage Vid of some of my training:

Train Well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions