Silly question for a the most basic technique yet vastly important technique

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I know that this is sound like a silly question but here it is: How do you maximize the potential power behind a jab.I was taught how to throw a basic jab long ago but I can tell that there is no body weight behind it.Ive talked to a few people and they told me to lean into it,but that just feld very akward.In all my other striking techniques I seem to understand how to use my body behind the blow(espeically in lower body techniques such as knees and kicks) but just not the jab.I know that messes up my fight game because many combonations are easier to pull off it you have an effective jab(which I dont),since I do not,I know that I do not have access to all of my potential.I have very powerful kicks, elbows, knees, hooks, and crosses, but its hard to lead with power attacks,so (unless I lead with low kicks) it almost always forces my into a counter-attack stragety.Thats ok sometimes,but it is always better to take the lead and control the battle.

Any advice?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
here are a couple of things to remember with the jab:

1. with 16 oz. gloves on it is really hard to knock some one out with a jab - it simply isn't as strong as a cross or hook, so if you are expecting to make it that strong, you're in for disappointment
2. Jabs set range
3. Jabs set up other techniques
4. jabs are fast and accurate
5. jabs can be defensive or offensive.

My advice for maximizing the jab:

1. Throw the jab from a step - forward for attack, backward for defense
2. Keep the elbow in (don' let it drift out to the side - throw the jab while standing next to a wall. Does the elbow contact the wall? If so, you are doing it wrong.)
3. Allow the shoulder to rotate and come forward during the strike (this is likely what your friends meant when they said lean into it). your shoulder should cover your chin and lay against your cheek.
4. Snap the jab out - all the way through the target - and back to guard as fast as possible. When training, stop short of full extension - no need to hurt your elbow joint.
5. Keep it linear. Don't let the jab dip or "scoop" towards the target. Think straight line.
6. When it comes to combos (jab / cross, etc. ) focus on the jab - the rest will come. I tell all of my students - your cross will suck eggs if you lose the jab. A good jab leads to a good cross.

hope this helps a little :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya learn something new everyday...Thanks Tradrockrat

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:

1. with 16 oz. gloves on it is really hard to knock some one out with a jab - it simply isn't as strong as a cross or hook, so if you are expecting to make it that strong, you're in for disappointment
2. Jabs set range

2. Keep the elbow in (don' let it drift out to the side - throw the jab while standing next to a wall. Does the elbow contact the wall? If so, you are doing it wrong.)
3. Allow the shoulder to rotate and come forward during the strike (this is likely what your friends meant when they said lean into it). your shoulder should cover your chin and lay against your cheek.
4. Snap the jab out - all the way through the target - and back to guard as fast as possible. When training, stop short of full extension - no need to hurt your elbow joint.
5. Keep it linear. Don't let the jab dip or "scoop" towards the target. Think straight line.
6. When it comes to combos (jab / cross, etc. ) focus on the jab - the rest will come. I tell all of my students - your cross will suck eggs if you lose the jab. A good jab leads to a good cross.

Great post - not much to add to this!

I would also say that it helps to think of your jab as a coiled venomous snake that's striking. In and out, like lightning. Also, if you get a chance, check out Coach Christopher Get's "Ultimate Boxing Fundamentals" DVD as he has a GREAT description of all the basic punches used in boxing.

BTW, my jab was my weakest technique until I started practicing it at a ratio of 10/1. Ten jabs per every cross thrown. Also, a light bag such as a Wavemaster helps because you can throw it properly, but without putting too much force into it and guage how much power you're adding by speeding it up (BY RELAXING) and putting your body into it. Less strenuous practice, while paying attention to the great points tradrocket wrote will improve your skills tremendously.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:

2. Jabs set range

Just to get that great post up again.

Also, you might want to look into JKDs lead punch. I often find myself using that instead of a jab at times.

Jeff

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ya'll are making me blush...

Jonathan Randal made a great point I forgot to add - it's a relaxed punch - don't hunch (tense) your shoulders before the strike.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tradrocket put it very, very well! For my system, the jab is used only to strike to the throat and the punching hip is rotated 45 degrees into the thrust. Done properly, it can have devastating effects...

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is an intresting topic... Question of my own. Could throwing a rear hand punch before the jab help you better "feel" what the propper shoulder rotation should feel like?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ybot said:
This is an intresting topic... Question of my own. Could throwing a rear hand punch before the jab help you better "feel" what the propper shoulder rotation should feel like?

One drill we use is a progression. It goes:
jab
jab, cross
jab, cross, jab
jab, cross, jab, cross
jab, cross, jab, cross, jab, jab , jab - the last three during a retreat.

Then we add another cross at the end of the retreat. It's goal is exactly what you stated - to teach the body to get used to that hip tourque and shoulder rotation of both punches.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Consider that the thing holding back the jab from full velocity is the muscles that pull against it - not just in the shoulder, but your entire arm. Use the muscles you need, and try to relax the rest. Try waiting until the moment before impact before you close your fist. And, as mentioned previously, the snappier the better.

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
i had this same problem not too long ago. i went to a boxing instructor.

your jab should be lightening fast, like a whip. use it to frustrate your opponent. use it to set up for more powerful combos. but if you are trying to get a better reaction out of your opponent or if you are trying to jostle then with a quick strike.

try throwing 2 or 3 Jabs in rapid consecutive set ups.

you will most likely miss your 1st jab or the opponent will block it. so by throwing the 2nd (twice as fast as the 1st) you will almost always connect. it also doesnt hurt to throw 3 in a row just to throw them off.

here is how i train my jab set ups:

Jab, jab, cross, lead hook.

Jab, jab, rear leg Shin kick/round house, jab, cross.

Jab, jab, jab, cross, one handed clinch then 3 or 4 rapid elbows to the face.

also try to practice your FOOTWORK while jabbing this is crucial.

if you dont have the footwork then you dont have the POWER.

Miletich explains:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1125686221406650440&q=pat+miletich&hl=en

the Miletich fighting system

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey thanks alot!That video is really instructive.I know that the jab is well known as being a non-knoick out punch,but I have read that in boxing's early days that the jab was perfected ubti being a power punch.I seek that perfection.I am naturally a "kick-fighter" so to speak,but I am a firm believer that it is best to set kicks up with punches(using your punches to blind the opponet from the kick) and to set up punches with powerful kicks(to get the opponet to drop his guard.)

I seem to have the habit of cheating my punches(especially my jab) because I know that my kicks are very powerful,but I want to get out of that little rut,and I think my proper refining the foundations of my boxing I can do so(not cheat my punches).

Thanks ago for the video,I am study it deeply.

Latest Discussions