Is there a grading system in Wing Chun?

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No grading system for me. My Sifu comes every few months, bombards me with teachings for 3 days then leaves me to practice until he comes back on his next visit. If he sees that I've been putting the work in and I'm asking the type of questions that show my understanding is getter deeper, he'll bombard me again.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally, only 3 different peoples;

Students
Disciples
Masters

Gradings are useful as long as they provide a learning structure that can accelerate learning. Some curriculums just organize the material.

The VTAA has made a very sensible grading structure of certificates that uses the forms as landmarks. Many follow a similar training. I am currently testing other structures with spectacular results, i.e. my students can (and many times have...) defend themselves effectively in the first course (about 3-6 months).

So there are several standards, yet they are fluid. I evaluate on written and physical command of the material. With purpose to defend against violent attack.

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been in Wing Chun since the early nineties and I've never been graded. Traditional Chinese styles don't have a grading system and it's rare to find one that does. Some branches may have one - i.e. Leung Ting's Wing Tsun, but for the most part, many don't.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Other guy is hurt you're not - A
Both of you are hurt - C
You are hurt, he's not - F

What other grades do you need?

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Both of you are hurt - C

Which is why I believe it to be a very personal matter. For many years I trained in systems that had no grading (Tai Chi Chuan, Systema, Harimau Silat), some that had rather hazy grading boundaries (BJJ) some with very clear grading parameters (Lau Gar kung fu, Hocks CQC). My own feeling over time have shifted about gradings. Previously it was ego driven as I would proudly state I am x or y grade. Now, it is for me and me alone. Because of the quality of the syllabus I am training in I am happy to grade. I know that if I ever achieve a black sash (incidentally, sashes at our academy are mental marks of skill level, we all wear clothes that offer no indication of our skill level) in this system of wing chun I know I will have earned it.

For me, grading at my wing chun school is an aspect of adversity that I am seeking to make me a better person. I have been keeping a blog of my training and in parts it covers grading material, but only in part. Am I allowed to post a link to it? If ever you get bored for 5 minutes there might something of worth in there. Nothing I have wrote but that which I borrowed from other sources is most inspirational and compelling.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have no grading and thats the way I like it, similarly though one of my brothers put together a catalogue of our curriculum to try and ask questions and tick off as we go.

Reaction score
i think it is the japenese that are more reliant on a grading system , traditionally i think the reason is because the chinese people are very modest about their talents and skills and are always looking to improve and so they think that grading themselves entails that they have reached a certain skill level and that causes stagnation which is why they avoided grading systems the only ranks were that of master and disciple i believe which also suggests that they realised what sort of a commitment they were undertaking by calling someone master.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both of you are hurt - C

Well, how about:

"You're hurt, but the other guy's totally jacked-up" - B

And also:

"You're running like Hell, but the other guy's still right behind you!" D+

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you punch the guy and run away, is that an Incomplete?

If you take on multiple opponents do you get extra credit?

If you stand by and watch a fight, is that an Audit?

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Talking your way out of a fight - A

Saying something to cause the fight on your terms and beating up the street puke - A+

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Talking your way out of a fight - A

Saying something to cause the fight on your terms and beating up the street puke - A+

The punk apologizes for making you kick his butt - never had to test again. :bangahead::p

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Then we're members of the same disassociation! Who knew?

Well, actually I do belong to Jeff Webb's new "NWTO", but that's just because he's the best WT guy I have access to (from a technical perspective), and he actually shares what he knows. And, he's a good friend.
Jeff is a good guy and I wish his organization well.

I don't give out sashes-- but I let evryone know roughly where they are in their skills and the regulars know who is where in their achievement.

Others have big overhead expenses and understandably have additional fees.Some reasonable others not.

joy chaudhuri

Latest Discussions