Your honest opinion on William Cheung's Wing Chun system!

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, Im originally from Ca . Where I studied WC during the 90's. The lineage was Chan Yui Man. Nothing fancy, small school, pay as go garage WC. I was young and lineage didn't really mean much to me back then, or now for that matter. I enjoy them all.

Jake

Chan Yiu Man (Chan Yiu Min son of Chan Wah Shun?). Could you give a bit more of your lineage up and down? Really interested since my lineage isn't Yip Man as a majority of Wing Chun pratitioners are.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chan Yiu Man (Chan Yiu Min son of Chan Wah Shun?). Could you give a bit more of your lineage up and down? Really interested since my lineage isn't Yip Man as a majority of Wing Chun pratitioners are.

Same here Zapeda, I haven't the foggiest idea what my lineage is, guess we could call ourselves there bast@&d sons of WC ... if someone haven't already claimed that title. :p

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
WELL!!!

I know MY lineage…but…umm…I… aaa..but....you see...I...ummm... don’t train it as much as aaaaa…..well… you do… OH is that the time…gotta go

:D

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
WELL!!!

I know MY lineage…but…umm…I… aaa..but....you see...I...ummm... don’t train it as much as aaaaa…..well… you do… OH is that the time…gotta go

:D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes , that would be him. I trained in his garage.:BSmeter: all I'm gonna say about my lineage Is I trained this pacticular lineage during the 90's . Our Sigung was involved in a violent crime and is deceased . So out of respect to all of the families involved. I will not say anymore or will i drag his name or anyone else through the mud. If this makes me any less creditable then so be it. I train 7 days a week with my son. I live in Gilbert az of Val vista and the 60 . I would love to train with others in the area . If I'm coming off defensive i apologize I forgot to take my meds this morning.

Jake

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
It does to me? Why would i ask something or start a thread for that matter if other people opinion matters not?
I merely wished to see some opinions on things i mentioned were minor flaws of the system. It's speed and power are obvious. I've trained with,am friends with,and have been to seminars with TWC people.
Some of them even agreed on my argument that they lack chi sao relaxation and visible feats. My opinion is made up,say you? Ok then,perhaps i made all this up. I've stated only the things i've seen with my own eyes.

Everyone has opinions but i think the concensus is that you could've searched for the million other threads that were started a while ago, rather than starting another one.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Same here Zapeda, I haven't the foggiest idea what my lineage is, guess we could call ourselves there bast@&d sons of WC ... if someone haven't already claimed that title. :p

Someone has already claimed that title. And refuses to name his lineage even though they know their elders. I guess he's ashamed of his lineage.

As for me, I know my lineage and proud to list is:

Zepeda - Sifu Francis Fong - Sigung Jiu Wan - Sigung Jiu Chow - Sigung Chan Yiu Min - Sigung Chan Wah Shun - Sigung Leung Jan

Jake104, since you mentioned Chan Yiu Min, there's a bit of my lineage for you. We are related is some way, if you are truely from someone in the Chan Yiu Min lineage. Jiu Chow was Jiu Wan's uncle. But it is stated Jiu Wan also studied under his uncle's sifu, Chan Yiu Min.

Some of Yip Man's students say Jiu Wan was also a student of Yip Man. But that is incorrect. Jiu Wan was a gung fu nephew to Yip Man. When Jiu Wan moved to Hong Kong, Yip Man was already established. And also being the Grandmaster of Wing Chun, Jiu Wan respected him as head of the Wing Chun clans and followed. Yip Man and Jiu Wan were very close during the HK years. It has been written that they dined together often and spent many hours daily talking and such. When Jiu Wan opened a school, with Yip Man's blessing, the Grandmaster even posted a sign outside the door stating 'Wing Chun the pure tradition'. The only school ever thus honored by the late Grandmaster. Jiu Wan died a year after Yip Man.

Jiu Wan has a few students still alive and teaching. Of course, my Sifu, Francis Fong and Jason Lau (Atlanta, GA), Richard Chen (last I heard under Moy Yat in Atlanta), Hung Yuen Chow (Oregon), Fred Kwok (Vancouver, BC) and Roland Wong (Canada). There is also his son, Jiu Wong (Jiu Hung Quin in HK) and his second disciple Guy Lai (not sure if he's alive or dead). And there are others, but those are the most notable ones.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes , that would be him. I trained in his garage.:BSmeter: all I'm gonna say about my lineage Is I trained this pacticular lineage during the 90's . Our Sigung was involved in a violent crime and is deceased . So out of respect to all of the families involved. I will not say anymore or will i drag his name or anyone else through the mud. If this makes me any less creditable then so be it. I train 7 days a week with my son. I live in Gilbert az of Val vista and the 60 . I would love to train with others in the area . If I'm coming off defensive i apologize I forgot to take my meds this morning.

Jake

Jake,

I'm not too far from you, I live by "the islands" neighborhood around warner and cooper. Maybe we could meet up at freestone park and train a bit, send me a PM if you're interested.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
The system I learned has alot of similarities to YM lineages. Some slight differences in the forms some extra forms. Like in the SLT 4th 5th 6th, 7th sections have slight variations. For example, 4th section at beginning we heung before the gum Saos. In the 5th section we don't pak to the side. We go up and slightly above the head, then to opposite side, then back to center, then high side palm. In the 6th section we do not tan gan. We do high gan and then low gan to center not the side. Then the bong section. We bong then roll elbow, and palm low, groin . We have the Sap Lok Gerk Fat form very similar to Lee Shing lineage. Another form I havent seen anywhere else is a 8 directional footwork form. I don't remember what that's called. Our Luk Dim Boon Kwun was pretty extensive. Not so much the form but we spent alot of time learning and practicing the pole. Alot of techniques. A whole level just for the pole. Like I already told Zepada . We focused alot on ranges . All ranges . I feel just as comfortable outside as i do on the inside . We have alot of footwork. If I were to fight a WC guy. I would keep him on the outside and frustrate the he'll out of him until I earn the right to come in or I feel like coming in. Please spare me the comment like" thats not wing chun" wing chun is close combat" you suck". I'd rather be a shown . Lol. Maybe I spend to much time on that other forum. People here are much nicer right? Lol

Eric sounds good I'm on Val vista and Warner I'll pm you

Jake

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Too bad I wasn't out there, I'd be curious to see some of your outside ranged footwork and concepts come into play, let alone the art applied from a non Yip Man source, at/on me.
I may be coming out to AZ with my gf for her brothers higherschool graduation, and to bring her back home in general.. was hoping to meet a few people from the forums here.
Thanks for sharing in any event!

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too bad I wasn't out there, I'd be curious to see some of your outside ranged footwork and concepts come into play, let alone the art applied from a non Yip Man source, at/on me.
I may be coming out to AZ with my gf for her brothers higherschool graduation, and to bring her back home in general.. was hoping to meet a few people from the forums here.
Thanks for sharing in any event!

Same goes for me . I'd like to see how the YM concepts come into play against mine. I'd love to learn and test my WC . Can I ask what YM lineage you come from. Or since I wont tell mine you won't tell me yours :) Anyway PM me and I will give you my number.
Ps bring your pads:)

Jake

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I only have some small gloves atm, a mouth guard.. soon adding a cup/shinpads to my gear..
I'm in EBMAS, so, I'm lineage would go:
Yip Man > Leung Ting > Keith Kernschpect > Emin Boztepe
I have a hard time imaging a intermediate level student being unable to close the distance, if he waits for you to commit, that should be his window to get close to ya, and stay close.
In any event, I'm not quite at that level myself, though my experiences sparring are getting me closer. I'll letcha know when I'm in AZ, if that indeed ends up happening. Cheers!

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got the same plus head gear no shin pads. I think it will be fun. Not sure when you are coming out this way, but it will be getting warm here in May and hot the more we go into summer. Let me know.

Jake

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jake,

I'm not too far from you, I live by "the islands" neighborhood around warner and cooper. Maybe we could meet up at freestone park and train a bit, send me a PM if you're interested.

Eric, most Saturdays I head out to the E. Valley from Central Phoenix to train Eskrima. Afterwards, I'd be up for joining in to do some WC too. Jake and I played a bit last Sat. and had a great time, so if you guys want to share, count me in. I'll PM you so we can keep in touch. --Steve

Asmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Someone has already claimed that title. And refuses to name his lineage even though they know their elders. I guess he's ashamed of his lineage.

As for me, I know my lineage and proud to list is:

Zepeda - Sifu Francis Fong - Sigung Jiu Wan - Sigung Jiu Chow - Sigung Chan Yiu Min - Sigung Chan Wah Shun - Sigung Leung Jan

Jake104, since you mentioned Chan Yiu Min, there's a bit of my lineage for you. We are related is some way, if you are truely from someone in the Chan Yiu Min lineage. Jiu Chow was Jiu Wan's uncle. But it is stated Jiu Wan also studied under his uncle's sifu, Chan Yiu Min.

Some of Yip Man's students say Jiu Wan was also a student of Yip Man. But that is incorrect. Jiu Wan was a gung fu nephew to Yip Man. When Jiu Wan moved to Hong Kong, Yip Man was already established. And also being the Grandmaster of Wing Chun, Jiu Wan respected him as head of the Wing Chun clans and followed. Yip Man and Jiu Wan were very close during the HK years. It has been written that they dined together often and spent many hours daily talking and such. When Jiu Wan opened a school, with Yip Man's blessing, the Grandmaster even posted a sign outside the door stating 'Wing Chun the pure tradition'. The only school ever thus honored by the late Grandmaster. Jiu Wan died a year after Yip Man.

Jiu Wan has a few students still alive and teaching. Of course, my Sifu, Francis Fong and Jason Lau (Atlanta, GA), Richard Chen (last I heard under Moy Yat in Atlanta), Hung Yuen Chow (Oregon), Fred Kwok (Vancouver, BC) and Roland Wong (Canada). There is also his son, Jiu Wong (Jiu Hung Quin in HK) and his second disciple Guy Lai (not sure if he's alive or dead). And there are others, but those are the most notable ones.

Guy Lai Ying Chau (I'm unsure if that's the correct romanisation) is still alive, I think he most recently instructed some actors for another Wing Chun film.

BTW - if it's of any interest, Jiu Wan also taught a few more movie actors, Tommy Tam Fuk Wing (Ti Lung/Dik Lung) and Lee Hoi Sang.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guy Lai Ying Chau (I'm unsure if that's the correct romanisation) is still alive, I think he most recently instructed some actors for another Wing Chun film.

BTW - if it's of any interest, Jiu Wan also taught a few more movie actors, Tommy Tam Fuk Wing (Ti Lung/Dik Lung) and Lee Hoi Sang.

I knew he taught a couple of actors, but didn't have access to their names. Thanks. You seem to know a bit about SiGung Jiu Wan, may I ask how? Trained with one of his students possibly? If you don't want to say publicly I understand. You can PM me if you like.

Asmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I knew he taught a couple of actors, but didn't have access to their names. Thanks. You seem to know a bit about SiGung Jiu Wan, may I ask how? Trained with one of his students possibly? If you don't want to say publicly I understand. You can PM me if you like.

I don't mind saying publicly but I'll pm you as it may lead the post off track.

Deanoe41441

White Belt
Reaction score
While I acknowledge your honest opinion I would ask you do further research before making claims. Before I chose Traditional Wing Chun I did weeks of Reseach hunting to find the truth. I concluded with the story the Grandmaster Cheung has told. There are too many letters and supporting evidence to deny William Cheung as a closed door student of Ip Man. I do not recognize Ip Chun because he has been caught in too many lies. He was never taught Wing Chun by Ip Man his mother took him away because she hated that Ip Man was consumed with Martial Arts and he was consorting with a prostitute whom got him addicted to Opium.

Latest Discussions