Is Tae Kwon Do useful

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
@DWright

:) Don't you think you would get into a mess of trouble if you (as a LEO) punch a hand-cuffed suspect in the solar plexus? You would make headline news these days. :)

@Chad

The ability of attackers who are under the influence of substances, to tolerate pain is well documented and well known. Even shots must be placed to the head or the heart to take them out effectively.

BTW, guys,

What are you guys' experience on this device? I know it is a very new tool and not widely adopted yet.

http://www.taser.com/products/advanced01.html

OC spray is supposed to reduce your air intake to bare life support minimal and its inflammatory properties work on all people. I realize that the earlier models were too weak. The newer versions however,have much higher caspasinoid content. What are your take on this ?

If with barehands, I would aim to kick out the knees ASAP. (Best bet). Windpipe and eyes are effective targets but NOT easy to reach. All in all, it is a situation of clear and present danger. Best avoided at all cost.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OC- sometimes yes, sometimes no. It all depends. I have seen very mixed results.

Shots to head and heart- which type of shot; firearm or impact?
Handcuffed does NOT equal controlled! Granted there are better options than a shot to the solar plexus, and more, um, camera friendly ones...
No experience with the new tasers. The concept is great.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Yes, every art is useful

You need a better instructor and you need to put more time into your training

You are probably learning the sport style instead of the combat style

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Even the sport style of TKD can be somewhat effective, if taught correctly. Unfortunately even this is being bungled from some examples I have seen. This too is part of the reason for strings like these. A decent punch and some decent kicks, w/shoes, can go a long way, mixed with proper targeting. Been there.

white belt

OP
J

J-kid

Martial artist you know 99% of the worlds tkd is sport and the 1% is your conbat tkd. I doubt any of them have really heard or seen it befor in there lives.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
JK,

TKD, Karate, TSD, MMA, Judo, etc. ALL have poor schools and teachers.

Go on Amazon.com and pick up the book titled "Kill or Get Killed" by Colonel Rex Applegate. He and William Fairbairn started the hand to hand system that became gospel for the U.S. and U.K. military. Much of their source material came from studying Oriental MA as well as Western wrestling and boxing. The moves deemed essential for survival draw upon moves in FORMS. Knee smash to groin, Knife hand to trachea, Eye rip wih thumbs, Palm heel to chin or nose base, etc. KATA. We in TKD call the forms HYUNG, POOMSE or TUL. TKD is just fine IF the forms are taught properly. The free sparring develops cordination, speed and timing that enhances self defense. I have used the tip of my shoe to stop "tough guy wannabes" dead in their tracks. The kicks with shoes especially are easily potentially deadly when you understand targeting from FORMS.

Pick up that book, by a decorated military combat expert, and don't believe everything you read from the soreheads on the internet.

white belt

OP
T

TkdWarrior

hmm fairburn n applegate rocks
-TkdWarrior-

OP
Y

yilisifu

I remember back in the 60's when Taekwondo really WAS an effective martial art. Training was very rugged and traditional. The White Horse regiment (a South Korean outfit) in VietNam wore their karate-style uniforms as the uniform of the day and training was a daily ritual which often lasted more than three hours. The VC and NVA were scared to death of them!

Sadly, Taekwondo has allowed itself to degenerate into a sport. I am sorry to hear about noonesfool's problem.

OP
F

fissure

Sadly, Taekwondo has allowed itself to degenerate into a sport. I am sorry to hear about noonesfool's problem.

A generalization worthy of Judo-Kid himself.
Many schools?yes.All schools?How often does anything apply to everything?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My reply is "SOME" TKD "schools" have degenerated into sport. SOME Tai Chi is degenerating into sport too with push hands competitions that turn into wrestling. It's ALL subject to buyer beware! Tai Chi is a fine art in spite of poorly taught Tai Chi. You beat me to it Fissure. :)

white belt

OP
T

TKDman

6thsense.jpg

OP
N

noonesfool

I took sometime and just thought about Tae Kwon and went to a few more classes.I'm sure there are good schools and good people but the goofs made me hate the art.
I just transfered the basic TKD moves into my Kung Fu and the kicks that I learned other than that no love for the art.
My last night was yesterday at TKD and the 3rd dan kicked me in my shoulder for the last time.
I could move faster than he could because sifu emphasized speed and balance over power.
He went to kick me in the unpadded shoulder as usual grabbed his leg came down with an elbow and horse and punch to his balls.
TKD did'nt prepare him for that the second dan falls over when doing turning side kicks.
The master was watching whom I have never seen do a move in 3 months was hollaring minus point illegal excessive move.
More power to you all but these butt clowns ruined it for me.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by noonesfool
I took sometime and just thought about Tae Kwon and went to a few more classes.I'm sure there are good schools and good people but the goofs made me hate the art.
I just transfered the basic TKD moves into my Kung Fu and the kicks that I learned other than that no love for the art.
My last night was yesterday at TKD and the 3rd dan kicked me in my shoulder for the last time.
I could move faster than he could because sifu emphasized speed and balance over power.
He went to kick me in the unpadded shoulder as usual grabbed his leg came down with an elbow and horse and punch to his balls.
TKD did'nt prepare him for that the second dan falls over when doing turning side kicks.
The master was watching whom I have never seen do a move in 3 months was hollaring minus point illegal excessive move.
More power to you all but these butt clowns ruined it for me.

A Second Dan falls over during a turning side kick? That is NO SECOND DAN! GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT "SCHOOL"! I own a TKD school and my Blue Belts do turn side kicks w/o falling over! Your better off doing frickin' Tae Bo and NTKO!

Good luck noonesfool!
white belt

OP
N

noonesfool

Hey the dude stumbles on a turning sidekick and loses coordination.
It seems everyone at this school is a "dan" or black belt.
I'm instructed by them to raise my leg and shift my hips then deliver the blow which makes it alot more work for me.
The 3rd dan that taught me told me flat out that he is not that good so how can I take up eagle claw and do this also.
The SIFU during kick boxing looked at that and said who showed me that and that it was making it harder for me to learn.
Maybe the move is a turning kick but none the less the dude really sucks.
I destroyed a black belt with basic movements but I kept moving and did'nt stop.
I supposedly have 10 more months on my contract but I'm not paying anymore $60 a month and $50 for a test be it belt or stripe.
I tried getting kicked out by spitting at the grand master when he signed my certificate.
The last night I was there the 18 year old black belt and a 11 year old red belt were performing a mock fight for 5-6 year old whitebelts.
The 18 year old was "master wong" of the shitzu kung fu academy and the red belt was the school name student.
The black belt was asking said red belt just how tough school name here was.
Needless to say the kung fu guy was protrayed as stereo typed quai chang kaine and was really bad.
I found it in poor taste and really ignorant basically saying TKD was unbeatable.
I asked them could I play a kung fu fighter also of master sifus name here and they thought it was funny to mock a local sifu.
The 18 year old was the prize schools tkd artist and I said I was the sifu and I did ying jow pai and the guy said it was chinese for dung.
They were laughing because I was going through the kung fu focus routine and the one dan said man he is a good actor.
He grabbed me and I was supposed to play nice and take my beating he then said ready just like I did with the other guy.
I did the self defense routine thunder and earth and something dragons tail.
The guy got up afterwords and gave me hell for not doing the bs routine.
I then said that the guy I was faking was my teacher and I told them all I quit.
They did'nt know that I was going to the other place.
This is past a mc dojo and never have I seen such useless people pretending to be something.
The school is not affiliated with WTF OR ITF so I can't report them.
I am going to tell my teacher they are slamming his business and making fun of his art to small children.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Noonesfool,

What a sorry mess. That description of their "TKD" you gave was pathetic. A spinning side kick is required material at green belt and functional at blue belt at my school. You should be given an honorary Black Belt for withstanding that guy's Horses#+t!

I know this may be out of line, but where is this school? I'm very curious.

white belt

OP
C

chufeng

I remember back in the 60's when Taekwondo really WAS an effective martial art. Training was very rugged and traditional. The White Horse regiment (a South Korean outfit) in VietNam wore their karate-style uniforms as the uniform of the day and training was a daily ritual which often lasted more than three hours. The VC and NVA were scared to death of them!

Now that is an interesting point...truth is, the South Korean military are still training hard in Tae Kwon Do...the TaeKwonDo that is sold to the American GI is NOT the same...but in one year an American GI can leave Korea with a Black Belt and permission to teach...as long as they send 15% of the proceeds back to Korea...

I've never discounted the effectiveness of TaeKwonDo, when done as it was intended to be done...but show me an American school where that happens (OK...maybe 3% of the schools really teach the art as it was intended)...

Actually my TaeKwonDo teacher was a very good practitioner...just didn't care if I learned anything...promoted me for $15 a pop...(oops that is a half promotion (stripe)) and we never went back over the basic material after each promotion...

!980---I chose to leave the TaeKwonDo I was exposed to...but my teacher was a proponent of the school founded by general Choi...he didn't think much of Hee Il Cho...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
N

noonesfool

White Belt it's in Pa
I'm not interested in getting sued for defamation of anything.
I merely wanted to talk to some people and compare opinions about what TKD is about.
My current sifu is great and I have nothing but the utmost respect for his teaching.
He learned directly from shum leung and displays his lineage on the wall.
I have a TKD book and it says you never belittle another persons art etc.