Is my yellow belt certificate from 98 still valid?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t imagine a yellow belt cert will get you a job anywhere.
True, that being said though, I've actually included my years of training and rank on my resumé. I reckon it's a valuable thing to list, in terms of reference to life skills or character. BUT, I wouldn't expect them to see it with wide eyes and instantly go... "YOU'RE HIRED!" XD

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, that being said though, I've actually included my years of training and rank on my resumé. I reckon it's a valuable thing to list, in terms of reference to life skills or character. BUT, I wouldn't expect them to see it with wide eyes and instantly go... "YOU'RE HIRED!" XD
It has been some time since I had to keep up my resume but I remember figuring out that it was a negative to list/mention I was an owner/instructor. It was 'okay' to say I taught a MA but when owner/instructor is/was seen on a resume, the time drain was factored in as a deterrent.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it can be appropriate depending on the circumstances.

However, it’s most likely to be appropriate if one is trying to get employment where martial arts is somehow relevant. A teaching position, for example, or listing Training history on your website if you open your own school. Perhaps it would be relevant if you are trying to get work in security or law enforcement.

In my opinion, rank below brown belt level is maybe not worth listing on a resume. A total beginner level like yellow belt, I would not list, other than perhaps to mention some “experience” in a particular method, if it is in addition to another method in which you have more significant experience and a higher ranking.

By way of example, I’ve seen websites where the teacher lists every experience that they have ever had in martial arts. It reads very oddly when they do that. I’ve seen things that will list high black belt rankings in three or four systems, including one or two that they clearly founded themselves and gave themselves high rank in. So things in the fifth to tenth degree black belt range. And several of them.

And then they list “yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do” and “blue stripe in XYZ karate” and “seminar with Master JoeBlow in 1994”. Often a whole list of short seminars with a bunch of different people.

In my opinion, none of these things represent any depth of training and I don’t think anyone who has a solid background in martial arts is going to be fooled by it. If you really feel they are relevant and important, then perhaps list them with a short statement like “ongoing training and exploration in various other martial disciplines as a way of updating my martial education”.

But listing every yellow belt and every seminar on the resume, I think isn’t helpful. It actually reads oddly and screams “resume padding!”

Edit: so to get back to the OP, he is asking if his yellow belt certificate is still valid from over 20 years ago, having not continued training in that particular system. Instead, he trained in another system, earning red/brown belt level. That second ranking is what is relevant. The yellow belt, while technically may not have expired, simply isn’t relevant anymore. Let it go. His training in that system was superficial, and he did it for a very short time as a young child making it even less likely to retain anything from that training, likely no more than a few months, well under a half year would be my guess.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has been some time since I had to keep up my resume but I remember figuring out that it was a negative to list/mention I was an owner/instructor. It was 'okay' to say I taught a MA but when owner/instructor is/was seen on a resume, the time drain was factored in as a deterrent.

Ah wow... that's very interesting... I would think that would be a major asset when viewed from the perspective of skillset, responsibility, leadership etc, but I could also see in terms of time and availability...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it can be appropriate depending on the circumstances.

However, it’s most likely to be appropriate if one is trying to get employment where martial arts is somehow relevant. A teaching position, for example, or listing Training history on your website if you open your own school. Perhaps it would be relevant if you are trying to get work in security or law enforcement.

In my opinion, rank below brown belt level is maybe not worth listing on a resume. A total beginner level like yellow belt, I would not list, other than perhaps to mention some “experience” in a particular method, if it is in addition to another method in which you have more significant experience and a higher ranking.

By way of example, I’ve seen websites where the teacher lists every experience that they have ever had in martial arts. It reads very oddly when they do that. I’ve seen things that will list high black belt rankings in three or four systems, including one or two that they clearly founded themselves and gave themselves high rank in. So things in the fifth to tenth degree black belt range. And several of them.

And then they list “yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do” and “blue stripe in XYZ karate” and “seminar with Master JoeBlow in 1994”. Often a whole list of short seminars with a bunch of different people.

In my opinion, none of these things represent any depth of training and I don’t think anyone who has a solid background in martial arts is going to be fooled by it. If you really feel they are relevant and important, then perhaps list them with a short statement like “ongoing training and exploration in various other martial disciplines as a way of updating my martial education”.

But listing every yellow belt and every seminar on the resume, I think isn’t helpful. It actually reads oddly and screams “resume padding!”

Edit: so to get back to the OP, he is asking if his yellow belt certificate is still valid from over 20 years ago, having not continued training in that particular system. Instead, he trained in another system, earning red/brown belt level. That second ranking is what is relevant. The yellow belt, while technically may not have expired, simply isn’t relevant anymore. Let it go. His training in that system was superficial, and he did it for a very short time as a young child making it even less likely to retain anything from that training, likely no more than a few months, well under a half year would be my guess.

Yeah definitely. I guess I would see it as displaying characteristics of discipline, hard work, commitment, patience etc rather than the content of the rank being relevant to the potential job. That's the only reason I list it. But of course that certainly does apply with jobs that require those particular skills.

Yeah agreed, putting any ol rank on there doesn't make sense. And to be honest if the employer doesn't know the MA or system or what it TAKES to attain the rank, then it may make very little sense to them anyway. But ah well, I put it anyway as I feel it's warranted and significant ;P.

Yeah I've seen those haha, listing every single rank and seminar they've been to. I can see how it may display that they are open to learning and looking outside the box of their system like you said, but sometimes unnecessary to list absolutely everything.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah wow... that's very interesting... I would think that would be a major asset when viewed from the perspective of skillset, responsibility, leadership etc, but I could also see in terms of time and availability...
I think that is the gist of it. My background/resume is technical so I guess as long as it is listed as a hobby or activity it would be fine. Pushing anything that may be seen as a time consumer could be seen as a problem by the employer I suppose.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who cares about what rank you had when you were 10? Especially a rank where you don't remember anything you learned while earning it.

To be honest, I don't care what rank most people are. If you have skill or knowledge, or preferably both... thats what I care about. After that, I care about your ability to share that skill or knowledge. I don't really care what color thing you use to hold your pants up or who gave it to you. You either have the goods or you don't. They are not included with your belt.

One of the other things I don't personally care for... is folks "pulling rank" on each other. If thats your thing, why are you not part of the military? If you are not military, you just look kind of silly "pulling your rank" in front of people. I tend to find people to train with who can look beyond the belt or rank... at maybe the art.

But, if that will add to your resume... sure. I think its still valid. Most places go by once a rank, always that rank. So in a few years you can be 5th degree black belt, grand master in TKD and yellow belt in shotokan, when you were age 10.
agree with this. I have seen some really crap black belts in my time. I tried shotokan years back but i found wado ryu was more interesting. In the shotokan group i saw two guys doing if i remember correctly a Blue belt test. one guy was watching the other guy next to him as he clearly never knew the kata. he was still given the belt as there was a "inner circle" or jerk circle in the club. pathetic so i prefer FMA & WT. none of that bollocks. you can do it or you can´t.

gspell68

White Belt
Reaction score
A yellow belt shouldn’t matter to you anyhow if you’re in it for the long haul and you’ll likely jump it anyhow.
I went straight from a white belt to orange after three months in Shotokan as a teenager.
I moved and joined Seibukan after five years of Shotokan training.
After three or four months, the instructor tossed me a green belt.
Within nine months to a year I was a brown belt, but I don’t recollect testing for it, either.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it's totally valid, and I encourage you to mention it to anyone who will listen. It will undoubtedly impress everyone and make them want to help you however they can, including jobs, potential promotions, etc. Heck, they may just want to give you free money.

Some suggestions for maximizing visibility:
  1. Put it in your resume.
  2. If you take a picture of it with your phone, you can actually show it to everyone.
  3. Have a t-shirt made, so that people can see it and ask you about it when you wear the shirt.
  4. Use it as your avatar on social media.
  5. Consider changing your middle name to badass, so that when people see your certificate and say, 'Think you're a badass?" You can say, "Actually, Badass is my... middle name."
Also, I give bad advice. But I'm sure it's still valid.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nope, it expired. You need to purchase a new one. I have the best deals on them, they are only $19.99 and for an extra $10/month you can upgrade to the lifetime subscription where you get a new certificate every 3 months so that they never expire. But wait, there's more! Act now and get a bonus Soke certificate with a 5 year lifetime 3 mile warranty for only $100! That's right, you can be a Supreme Super Great Grand Master and 10th degree black belt for only $100! So call now! 1-888-BELTMIL

In all seriousness though, the belt doesn't matter. Just go train to learn and learn to train. If your instructor thinks you are ready to be any specific belt rank they will let you know.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was born in 89. What do you you guys think? I still have it. Same chief instructor and school.

I'm a red/brown belt in TaekwonDo as well.

Note that I have never done Shotokan-type free sparring, although I do have experience drilling that type of controlled striking. But that comes later anyway.
Yes, but only if your original GI still fits you…
I was born in 89. What do you you guys think? I still have it. Same chief instructor and school.

I'm a red/brown belt in TaekwonDo as well.

Note that I have never done Shotokan-type free sparring, although I do have experience drilling that type of controlled striking. But that comes later anyway.
Yes, but only if your original GI still fits you…

Latest Discussions