Is it true how close and hard you press the thigh against the lower legs affects how high and low your kicks will be?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sort of. If I am reading it correctly. There is this idea that the higher you point your knee the higher your kick goes. And squeezing your thigh and calf together. Basically makes you point your knee.

So Mabye?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You can stiff leg swing your leg just as high as you can snap kick, so no it isn't true.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not thigh touch low leg but knee touch chest.

stand_knee_hug.jpg

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not thigh touch low leg but knee touch chest.

View attachment 27538
This is the most logical answer to the OP. Being able to press you calf firmly into your thigh might be sort of a trick that helps you set up the kick, but it's never been part of any training I did.

Then again, it's been a long time since I trained to kick high.... at my age I target the groin and below. And that's OK since I'm a WC guy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the most logical answer to the OP. Being able to press you calf firmly into your thigh might be sort of a trick that helps you set up the kick, but it's never been part of any training I did.

Then again, it's been a long time since I trained to kick high.... at my age I target the groin and below. And that's OK since I'm a WC guy.
To be able to raise knee close to your chest require a lot of training.

long_fist_postore.jpg

Latest Discussions