Is it really the only right way?

Not really. Guns used in self defense are actually fired only about 25% of time time. So obviously a significant majority of gun-uses are non-lethal. And that assumes that each of the 25% is a fatality. A false assumption. I don't have stats off the top of my head, but most gun shot wounds are not lethal.
I’d love to read more about that if you can share some links to your data. I’ve not seen these before and it’s interesting. Are you saying that there are records of how many times a gun is brandished in self defense without being fired?

I have shared mortality rates for guns in the past. That’s pretty easy to get from the cdc. I’m specifically talking about your Asse regarding the frequency a gun is brandished vs fired in self defense.

Thanks.

Edit to add: it was a bit longer ago than I thought… way back in 2011, lol. FWIW, I still think gun owners should be required to carry liability insurance, but that’s a discussion for another day.

“According to the CDC, there were 18,610 non-fatal, unintentional gunshot injuries in 2009. In 2007 (the last year available for mortality statistics), there were 613 unintentional, firearm fatalities.”

Last edited:
Seventeen people I know have been the victim of shootings.

Two have been shot on two different occasions. Two have been shot multiple times in the same incident. One was shot seventeen times in Vietnam Nam. That’s right, seventeen times.

None of them died. All of them told me pretty much the same thing, “Getting shot doesn’t hurt as much as you think it does. But, HEALING from getting shot hurts more than you can imagine.”

Most of these people were cops, some were military, one, a close friend, was shot in a road rage incident because he has a really big mouth.

Seventeen people I know have been the victim of shootings.

Two have been shot on two different occasions. Two have been shot multiple times in the same incident. One was shot seventeen times in Vietnam Nam. That’s right, seventeen times.

None of them died. All of them told me pretty much the same thing, “Getting shot doesn’t hurt as much as you think it does. But, HEALING from getting shot hurts more than you can imagine.”

Most of these people were cops, some were military, one, a close friend, was shot in a road rage incident because he has a really big mouth.
That's actually funny to me.
"Hey real talk, getting shot ain't actually all that scary, but patching it up SUCKS!"

That's actually funny to me.
"Hey real talk, getting shot ain't actually all that scary, but patching it up SUCKS!"

One of the guys, John Arthur, grew up in the South Side of Chicago. He wrestled in high school. Beat a guy in the city championships and they had words afterwards. The guy shot John point blank in the chest with a twenty two on John’s way home that day. He crawled the last thirty yards to his house while an ambulance was in route. (God bless EMTs)

Fifteen years later John was the first black officer on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. He was taking down a bad guy when another snuck up behind him. John flinched as the guy shot him in the head with a thirty eight. The flinch caused the round to ricochet off the high part of the back of his head. John almost killed the guy before other members of his team pulled him off.

John passed away several years ago from natural causes. R.I.P.

What we always said about him was, “You don’t want to go shooting John Arthur, you just might piss him off.”

One of the guys, John Arthur, grew up in the South Side of Chicago. He wrestled in high school. Beat a guy in the city championships and they had words afterwards. The guy shot John point blank in the chest with a twenty two on John’s way home that day. He crawled the last thirty yards to his house while an ambulance was in route. (God bless EMTs)

Fifteen years later John was the first black officer on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. He was taking down a bad guy when another snuck up behind him. John flinched as the guy shot him in the head with a thirty eight. The flinch caused the round to ricochet off the high part of the back of his head. John almost killed the guy before other members of his team pulled him off.

John passed away several years ago from natural causes. R.I.P.

What we always said about him was, “You don’t want to go shooting John Arthur, you just might piss him off.”
WAIT WHAT?! a 38 cal is not a small gun! How the hell do you get hit by one of those right in the head and not at the very least fall unconscious?

WAIT WHAT?! a 38 cal is not a small gun! How the hell do you get hit by one of those right in the head and not at the very least fall unconscious?
Same as the .45 I mentioned. Short barrel (which means low muzzle velocity) and bad angles.

Phil Messina, an NYC police officer for over thirty years, who ran the now closed Modern Warrior Training center for many years, was trying to pull a guy into a window who was desperately trying to jump…he had the guy by the arm.

The guy pulled a thirty eight, stuck it in the middle of the point of Phil’s chin and pulled the trigger.

The bullet lodged in Phil’s chin. He didn’t fall unconscious, he didn’t even let go.

Man, I would have let go and tried to shoot the Mofo on his way down. (I wouldn’t really, but I think I would have wanted to.)

The mind can be a very strong thing. People have told me that if you get shot and believe you’re going to die, you just might. I have no idea how true that is and I sure as heck don’t want to find out. Just saying I’ve been told that by friends who’ve been shot.

The mind can be a very strong thing. People have told me that if you get shot and believe you’re going to die, you just might. I have no idea how true that is and I sure as heck don’t want to find out. Just saying I’ve been told that by friends who’ve been shot.
There have been cases in which people died from wounds that, medically speaking, should have been easily survivable. It's not really possible to prove that they died because the expected to die, but it's as good an explanation as any.

Damn, I forgot one of my buddies who got shot. And he got shot bad. Scary.

The second most bizarre shots fired call I ever work was a female that took a shot to the head for a .38 caliber pistol from about 18' away. It struck her skull just above the left ear at just steep enough of an angle to Not penetrate the skull but also Not exit the skin. That bullet travel around her head and came to rest in her neck close to her shoulder. She was sitting and the shooter was standing.
It did knock her out but she woke up at the scene and was reasonably cognizant given the circumstances. She made a full recovery.

The second most bizarre shots fired call I ever work was a female that took a shot to the head for a .38 caliber pistol from about 18' away. It struck her skull just above the left ear at just steep enough of an angle to Not penetrate the skull but also Not exit the skin. That bullet travel around her head and came to rest in her neck close to her shoulder. She was sitting and the shooter was standing.
It did knock her out but she woke up at the scene and was reasonably cognizant given the circumstances. She made a full recovery.
...meanwhile a random shot to the leg can mean instant death of you hit that one artery...the human body is weird.

So as I've continued my research into martial arts philosophy, I've generally noticed a pattern and sentiment in regards to conventional methods of combat.

Now those who are more experienced then I are free to correct me, but it seems the most widely accepted mentality(Assuming you've chosen to fight or have been left with no choice but to do so) is to put it in very simple terms, overwhelm your opponent with brute force and raw aggression with the intend to take their life.

The logic being you want to end the fight as quickly as possible and the quicker way to do that is to make sure they aren't breathing anymore, and if your attacker has a chance to fight back you did something wrong. Basically if you're familiar with star wars, you'd think the sith were right and juyo is the only lightsaber form worth learning.

But that always sounded off to me, while I understand the reasoning there are so many way this approach can go wrong a risk of over aggression being one of them leaving you vulnerable.

Since we brought up star wars, if I had to name a form I most gravitated towards it would be form 3 sores, biding your time, conserving your energy, waiting for the right moment and using your opponents aggression against them. That just makes more sense to me.But I imagine to many, they'd feel like I'm just needlessly dragging things out when I should just go for the throat and be done with it.

This kind of goes into a greater thesis I've been working on that basically states that your reason for fighting will dictate how you do so.

Those who just wanna win will gamify combat, those who fight to protect will be more steadfast, fighting to survive makes you more wild and feral-ish, etc
Kill someone and go to prison. Then you'll discover how "tough" you really are.

I do know what you mean.

I’ll tell you something that’s always frightened me. Hitting someone and having them go down, hit their head and be seriously hurt. Not from the punch, but from whacking their head.

It doesn’t happen often but I’ve seen it, or read about it, a few times in my life.
When I say “read about it” I mean it happening where I lived.

Even happened out here on Maui about fifteen years ago. Guy started a fight, other guy hit him, guy that started it went down and hit his head on the curb. Died in the hospital.

That scares me a whole lot more than getting
the crap beat out of me.
This is in my top 5 rational fears. I’ve seen it happen twice on the street. Once from a DLT and once from a counter punch that had the white light attached.

That wasn't the point I was making. It's less is it necessary and more should I care? Cause whether I do or not will determine whether I go out of my way to do so or if I just say screw it and try to get this over with.I agree with pretty much all the tactics you mentioned that being keeping space, so it's less sadism and more apathy towards someone who clearly doesn't care about my life.

It's basically a simple question of why should I consider the life of someone who doesn't consider mine or anybody else's?
Because you might miss, you might not know the whole story, you might care about losing your personal assets ina lawsuit, you might have people who need you to not be in prison, you might escalate it and get shot yourself, etc etc.

And yet, the fact remains that most people who are shot do, in fact, survive. And since most gun shot wounds are inflicted by handguns, they certainly are not traveling at Mach 2.
Ahem, my 5.7x28 handgun with correct ammo can exceed Mach 3. That’s a 29 gr aluminum core hollow point with 404 ft lbs. of force. ;)

Back