Forms and Imaginary Opponents

R

rmcrobertson

While I agree with the points about forms as exercises--I'd suggest, in fact, that forms go further than has been mentioned in that direction--I'd point out that any form which has completely lost the quality of a fight, and anybody doing forms that has completely lost the sense of being in a fight, has become divorced from reality. This is fine sometimes....it had better not be all the time.

At one extreme, forms--like basics and techniques--need to be done as if nobody else was anywhere near you. At the other extreme, those "imaginary," opponents are absolutely essential. We just have to figure out a range of different compromises within those two opposite poles.

I'd also suggest two other things: a) this notion of picking this fave technique and that and discarding everything else, this shopping around in our particular style, is contributing to a drift further and further toward mere showmanship; b) finally, forms have to have their center, their organizing principle....and that needs to be you.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
While I agree with the points about forms as exercises--I'd suggest, in fact, that forms go further than has been mentioned in that direction--I'd point out that any form which has completely lost the quality of a fight, and anybody doing forms that has completely lost the sense of being in a fight, has become divorced from reality. This is fine sometimes....it had better not be all the time.

At one extreme, forms--like basics and techniques--need to be done as if nobody else was anywhere near you. At the other extreme, those "imaginary," opponents are absolutely essential. We just have to figure out a range of different compromises within those two opposite poles.

I'd also suggest two other things: a) this notion of picking this fave technique and that and discarding everything else, this shopping around in our particular style, is contributing to a drift further and further toward mere showmanship; b) finally, forms have to have their center, their organizing principle....and that needs to be you.
Very nicely put! Forms are for helping you fight. Forms are for helping you understand how to trasnsition from move to move. Forms are good for exercise. Forms are another source of Gold. Dig for your nugget.

If you can find a live body to help, by all means, do so. If you cannot discover the application of a technique, explore. If you are confused about multiple attackers, have no thought of them. Let them arise. The eloquence of the form will reveal itself-and it will then seem so simple. If you are still confused, think less and practice more. As you do this, you will feel the techniques and their applications. Look for simplicity.

Latest Discussions