Is it ok to think that Martial Arts is none of "their" business.

kcast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm new here (obviously) and I just wanted to know if others felt the same way I do. I've recently started training in Shaolin Kempo, currently I'm training under a 6th degree black belt and I LOVE IT! I'm still new to the martial arts world and have a few techniques from my LEO training. BUT, I was wondering if some of you feel like your training or rank or type of MA isn't anyone else's business. Its not that I'm hiding that I'm training, its just that I don't really want anyone knowing (other then family, and friends that don't have BIG mouths). I would rather no one know then that one BIG mouthed friend that pulls that famous line "oh he is a karate guy and can kick your @ss", next thing you know I have some meat head challenging me. Sorry for the rant....what 'cha think?

OP
kcast

kcast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, sure-keep it to yourself. If you're in law-enforcement, this might be a really good idea anyway.....
thats the other dilema, I don't need the administration knowing, b/c they'll be fussing at me for getting "extra unauthorized training", and god forbid if I use one of the moves on the road and they don't like it!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your private life is just that - private. No one needs to know unless you choose to tell them. This comes up every so often on the board; look around and you'll see other people have brought up the same question.

Enjoy your training, and tell - or don't tell - whomever you like, the same as you would if you were taking a non-MA class.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Trying to keep my training private is a goal of mine especially when you meet someone new and they find out. Then the usual questions follow. I feel that there is nothing wrong with keeping it to yourself.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I try and keep it to myself. Unfortunately, when I'm at work, I have no place to hide when I work out. As a result, I have a number of entertaining nicknames throughout the department...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the cops I know personally go out to the range on their own time or take martial arts or extra firearms training - often both - off duty.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I'm new here (obviously) and I just wanted to know if others felt the same way I do. I've recently started training in Shaolin Kempo, currently I'm training under a 6th degree black belt and I LOVE IT! I'm still new to the martial arts world and have a few techniques from my LEO training. BUT, I was wondering if some of you feel like your training or rank or type of MA isn't anyone else's business. Its not that I'm hiding that I'm training, its just that I don't really want anyone knowing (other then family, and friends that don't have BIG mouths). I would rather no one know then that one BIG mouthed friend that pulls that famous line "oh he is a karate guy and can kick your @ss", next thing you know I have some meat head challenging me. Sorry for the rant....what 'cha think?

A newbie you may be, but, definitely, a veterean tought. I went through the same exact stuff back in the day. I never advertised, but friends..... then a challenge from a meathead. I totally agree with your post.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I tell no one outside of some family and I only tell a few friends.

I am not trying to keep it secret either but I don't feel the need to tell anyone about it, so I don't

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thats the other dilema, I don't need the administration knowing, b/c they'll be fussing at me for getting "extra unauthorized training", and god forbid if I use one of the moves on the road and they don't like it!

Lets those that sit up high know that you're interested in training..If helped pave my way to becoming an instructor..I made no secret about my training and even got them to pay for some classes...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had more than a few LEOs train in my aikido dojo. The local departments will re-qual with the side arm every six months but the hand to hand stuff is pretty much non-existent after the academy. As for telling others, well, MA is not (contrary to what some believe) a religion so you're under no pressure to be an apostle for your art. MA is a VERY personal path and you should only be accompanied by those that you are comfortable traveling with.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have several military and LEOs training with us. As a matter of fact I thin kfor the military folks it's encouraged because the hand to hand suppliments their other training and there isn't the budget for that type of training.

But...

I'm a father, a husband, a Christian, a musician, a martial artist, a computer programmer....24-7. I don't stop being any of those because of where I am and who I am with. My martial arts training comes up as natural part of conversation when talking about plans for the weekend and what not. I don't brag, but I don't keep it a secret.

It's a good thing in my life and I probably tend to share it because I want others to find the same thing.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say your life is just that your life, you do not need for poeple to know that you are a Martial Artist except you would like them to know.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had more than a few LEOs train in my aikido dojo. The local departments will re-qual with the side arm every six months but the hand to hand stuff is pretty much non-existent after the academy.

Even the State has no MANDATORY updates on hand-to-hand training except for jailers and that only 12 hrs a year...

We have several military and LEOs training with us. As a matter of fact I thin kfor the military folks it's encouraged because the hand to hand suppliments their other training and there isn't the budget for that type of training.

There ALWAYS seems to be enough money for ammo, but nothing for the physical aspects..This is a battle I and other LEO Trainers hav fought for YEARS..I actually got a few officers interested inseeking training on their own because of talking about MA and training..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people know what I do and it's no bother for me perhaps because I'm female tends to work for me rather than against. However a couple of our fighters especially the pro ones keep it quiet and if asked if they are 'cage fighters' always say no as it tends to start fights if they say yes. There's always someone with something to prove against a 'cage fighter'!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm in agreement with you and your post here. Likewise, I have nothing to hide, and I'm more than willing to discuss any area of my training or Martial Arts in general, providing the person is sincere with their questions. The "Oh you do the Martial Arts? So does that mean that you can kick anyones ***?" type questions, I really have no use for. Those people are not interested in hearing about the arts.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Then again, the plus side of that is that the extra training may pay off. I worked for the DOC for a while, and cringed when I saw some of the techs. they taught.

Mike

Latest Discussions