Switching Martial Arts

Kicker777

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum. I recently decided I wanted to try a new martial art.
I have seven years of experience in WTF Taekwondo and Hapkido.
Since I've been away at college for the past year and a half I've fallen behind in official training, other than when I have the free time to train myself at the campus gym.
The martial arts school I used to go to closed down back home as well.

Also picked up a bit of Kyoukushin and Shojirin Kempo when I was an exchange student in Japan back in high school for a summer. (though I'm not sure that's even worth mentioning).

Anyway, I've been looking to get back into training in a more official environment and was looking to try a new art.
I've sparred with various people in my university who do different styles and studied up on a fair amount in my free time since I've been away and it has further broadened my interest in other styles.

I'm not interested in MMA. A lot of the people I have met who practiced it were extremely arrogant and I personally see art itself seems a bit off-putting.

Do you guys have any recommendations for transitioning into a different martial art?
Anyone here been in a similar situation?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

It's not as simple as giving you a name or a list of menu choices. What is available where you are? What are the instructor's credentials? What kind of art do you find attractive? Etc.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum. I recently decided I wanted to try a new martial art.
I have seven years of experience in WTF Taekwondo and Hapkido.
Since I've been away at college for the past year and a half I've fallen behind in official training, other than when I have the free time to train myself at the campus gym.
The martial arts school I used to go to closed down back home as well.

Also picked up a bit of Kyoukushin and Shojirin Kempo when I was an exchange student in Japan back in high school for a summer. (though I'm not sure that's even worth mentioning).

Anyway, I've been looking to get back into training in a more official environment and was looking to try a new art.
I've sparred with various people in my university who do different styles and studied up on a fair amount in my free time since I've been away and it has further broadened my interest in other styles.

I'm not interested in MMA. A lot of the people I have met who practiced it were extremely arrogant and I personally see art itself seems a bit off-putting.

Do you guys have any recommendations for transitioning into a different martial art?
Anyone here been in a similar situation?
I would first narrow down my choices. Do you want to learn a variety of weapons or are weapons not important. If learning weapons is important then it'll point you to certain group of martial arts. If you don't care about learning weapons then it will point you to another group of martial arts. This will get you pointed in the right direction. From there you can narrow it down to a better focus of what you are interested in.

Latest Discussions