Is it important for you to be part of something bigger than yourself?

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have recently been reading a lot about the classical Japanese martial arts, the so-called Koryu arts. I think there are a lot of similarities between these arts and the traditional Chinese arts. Not in the techniques, but rather in the mindset.

I found a brilliant interview with Toby Threadgill who heads a classical style of jujutsu. Here is the link:
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=702
I highly recommend it. He touches on a lot of topics that are just as relevant to Chinese arts, particularly as studied in the west, and particularly in light of the MMA revolution.

One part really struck a chord with me, which is this excerpt where he talks about some of the reasons why people study a classical art as opposed to a modern one.

Studying the history and lineage of the art, realizing that you are actively engaged in a knowledge tradition that has been passed from generation to generation, all this is a very fascinating and rewarding endeavor. It makes you part of something much larger than yourself.

For me, this is precisely why I have a love for traditional Chinese arts. *Not* because being older makes them supposedly "better" or "deadlier". It's simply because of the sense of being part of something much larger than yourself.

Mr Threadgill's point of view seems to be one end of a spectrum. I guess the other end would be Bruce Lee, who said something like, "Man, the creating individual is more important than any established style."

My question is this: how important do you feel this to be? Is being part of something larger than yourself something that you value as well? Or do you believe that the most/only important thing is how well you can fight with it?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea of being part of something larger than yourself is an idea that transcends martial arts. It helps to give meaning to life and can lead to a more fulfilling life. Teaching helps me to feel this way. If you can make a positive difference in someones life, you can help change the course of generations of lives. Thanks for sharing!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea of being part of something larger than yourself is an idea that transcends martial arts. It helps to give meaning to life and can lead to a more fulfilling life. Teaching helps me to feel this way. If you can make a positive difference in someones life, you can help change the course of generations of lives. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah - what he said! I teach because I feel I am making a positive difference in the world (at least, I hope I am). Participation in TKD has been part of what makes me who I am - and therefore helps me make that difference. But it could just have easily been some other activity.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah - what he said! I teach because I feel I am making a positive difference in the world (at least, I hope I am). Participation in TKD has been part of what makes me who I am - and therefore helps me make that difference. But it could just have easily been some other activity.

LOL! Absolutely. There are so many ways to make a positive difference whether it be through teaching, the sciences, religion, etc...

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is were views can differ on what a martial art is.

Is it like the Koryu Ryu-ha of Japan with manners and martial arts

or just a bunch of techniques used in self defense devoid of tradition.

I truly feel that martial arts were invented with the intent of goodness.

Like Spiderman with great power comes great responsibility hence we can see the manners and customs in Budo and Chinese martial arts.

My teacher and I do not go over the tradition and manners so much because I think once you reach a certain point it comes naturally and that stays with you even when you are not training in class.

Good manners takes training same as good technique.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have so many oh-so-clever responses it's hard to know where to begin.

how can you not be part of something bigger than yourself, just by existing?

if you approach training with a somewhat buddhist mindset (as many of us interested in CMA do), then you have no self to attach to anything greater.

if from a taoist perspective, you're already attached to something greater, whether you want to be or not.

also, if you select your training based on how effective it is in fighting, that can also be an attempt to be part of something greater. the only difference is that you are attaching to a concept of your self as a part of a small & elite group of deadly fighters rather than an ancient historical tradition.

"All things flow according to the whim of the Great Magnet."
--Hunter S. Thompson

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. This is what drew me to the CMA's. I love the fact that I am part of a training system that has been around fo rwell over a thousand years and continually evolving art. I hope that i can pass it along as well and keep it going.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
My question is this: how important do you feel this to be? Is being part of something larger than yourself something that you value as well? Or do you believe that the most/only important thing is how well you can fight with it?

To me fighting has little to do with it. I feel that anyone can be taught to fight...or anyone can be taugh self defense in a relatively short amount of time. The time that I spend, while teaching me self-defense, is more about learning about myself and to become closer to those thing that are larger than myself. This is very personal to me, therefore what I am feeling may or may not be what others feel. I can say that there are times when performing Sanchin, and a couple of the other kata, that I feel as though I have detached from myself and am watching from a distance. After leaving the dojo on those evenings, I am at peace with myself and very content. This to me is the larger than me moments that I cherish.

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being part of a lineage has a high cost, as well. It isn't just all benefit.

To really be part of it, you need to be a disciple and that will entail a loss of freedom. You'll have to chain yourself and your art to that lineage. Whether or not you can train with other teachers, write what you wish, have freedom to charge students what you want, etc. could all depend on your shifu or the higher disciples. It can get very, very messy.

Latest Discussions