The most important part of your art

zuti car

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is the most important part of your art ? Is it the technical part , history, lineage , or maybe spirituality if your art practice such a thing, or is it something else ? What part you enjoy most ? For me the most important is technical part in a sense that I can use it efficiently . But what I enjoy the most is a movement , performed perfectly , when the mind is empty and concentrated on each single movement whether I am doing forms , dummy , knives or chi sao , I simply disconnect my self from the world and enjoy , I have similar feeling when I listen some musical pieces I like so much .

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the most important part of your art ? Is it the technical part , history, lineage , or maybe spirituality if your art practice such a thing, or is it something else ? What part you enjoy most ? For me the most important is technical part in a sense that I can use it efficiently . But what I enjoy the most is a movement , performed perfectly , when the mind is empty and concentrated on each single movement whether I am doing forms , dummy , knives or chi sao , I simply disconnect my self from the world and enjoy , I have similar feeling when I listen some musical pieces I like so much .[/QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking your question in good faith. I simply love and enjoy my art. Understanding it and practicing it and working out the applications and problem solving are of first importance. Consider my self very lucky to have the gifts from sifu, sigung and my sihings and my students. If I didnt live in Tucson when I did and still in Arizona I probably would have done something else. Wing chun is a hands on art-so you tube and videos are not my tea. Spirituality has different meanings-so I will stay away from discussing that in short forum messages. I do strive for unity of body, mind and energy.Wing chun "history" is riddled with holes.Given my background in a tentative was I enjoy finding some historical insights.
Disconnect myself from the world? No- I am very much in it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For us, the two most important parts of our art art keeping the hands up when sparring, and being a gentleman or lady. Boring and corny perhaps, but hey.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the most important part of your art ? Is it the technical part , history, lineage , or maybe spirituality if your art practice such a thing, or is it something else ? What part you enjoy most ? For me the most important is technical part in a sense that I can use it efficiently . But what I enjoy the most is a movement , performed perfectly , when the mind is empty and concentrated on each single movement whether I am doing forms , dummy , knives or chi sao , I simply disconnect my self from the world and enjoy , I have similar feeling when I listen some musical pieces I like so much .
Attitude is always first, but yeah, I like the idea of refining motion to the point where you are scary good, is a great second choice. :)

Treznor

White Belt
Reaction score
The most important part isn't necessarily the bit you enjoy most...

For enjoyment, I would say a good bit of free chi-sau / lap sau (even though it's bloody frustrating if you keep getting tagged... but that's how you improve)...

For importance, hit the other bloke... everything else is just a means to this end.

Mat

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Improvement of the fundamentals.
Respect,
Discipline,
Conditioning (mind, body, spirit)
Being able to actually use the training in a physical confrontation in an effective and functional way.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I had to single it down. I would have to say the purity of the art. My style isn't a watered down martial arts style and it has been tested in actual combat (non-sport fighting). While some things are applied differently to different situations, the root of it stays the same. Any new application for our techniques are only added to the existing ones. We don't replace techniques even if they are outdated.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For enjoyment's sake, I feel most satisfied when a previously foreign or new movement becomes natural, i.e. those moments where you use something in friendly sparring without thinking about it and you know it was reaction versus trying to "make it work".

Important in term of most central to the art? Maybe I can answer that years from now. At the moment it is trying to ignore preconceptions about fighting and just absorb what is taught, to "empty my cup".

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To train well (to feel), instead of just put hours or techniques on that.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Winning every online argument.

im-chuck-norris-your-argument-is-invalid.jpg

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
The most important part for me is learning self control, humility and respect.

The most amazing part is learning new and simpler ways of doing things. I'll never stop learning and I'll always be a student. I learn from people of all levels. Both above and below my level.

My favorite part is no matter how bad my day is going prior to training. I always feel way better after a good training session. It seems to always put me in a great mood.

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say the most important thing in the system that I train, is that one sees the big picture; understands how each part of the system, from SNT to BJD to full on sparring and everything in between, fits together to create a coherent approach to fighting/ fight training.

This way, students don't miss the forest for the trees and get caught up in trying to see 1:1 applications to each action in the forms, or take the forms as separate levels of fighting, or any of the other nonsense theories the imagination can come up with when one isn't directed well by a competent teacher who knows the full system.

It's all about training to develop certain behaviors in fighting to have a favorable chance of winning or at least coming out alive. It all comes down to that instant where violence occurs and what may or may not happen...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For enjoyment's sake, I feel most satisfied when a previously foreign or new movement becomes natural, i.e. those moments where you use something in friendly sparring without thinking about it and you know it was reaction versus trying to "make it work".

I agree, the feeling is fantastic when that happens.

The most important part for me is learning self control, humility and respect.

To be honest these are things I would expect to be used in martial arts but learnt outside. I would hope that people are brought up to have self control, humility and respect. I get rather tired of parents bringing children to martial arts and telling me they want them to learn self control and discipline, that's not martial arts job that's parent's work. One needs self control and discipline to learn anything, coming into martial arts without these qualities means a student can't learn, of course martial arts strengthens these qualities but I don't believe they teach them in the first instance.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest these are things I would expect to be used in martial arts but learnt outside. I would hope that people are brought up to have self control, humility and respect. I get rather tired of parents bringing children to martial arts and telling me they want them to learn self control and discipline, that's not martial arts job that's parent's work. One needs self control and discipline to learn anything, coming into martial arts without these qualities means a student can't learn, of course martial arts strengthens these qualities but I don't believe they teach them in the first instance.
Agreed.
Martial training can re-enforce how one is brought up. When I have a parent who says their child needs to learn respect or discipline...etc. My response is along the lines of; "we would be happy to partner with you in that regard and to help foster those with you; what specifically are you doing at home with your child to develop respect or discipline... or whatever? We will be happy to continue that development."

Training and practicing the martial arts can and does help but it has to come from family life.

Latest Discussions