Is it a good idea to pull your punch back fast?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's the purpose to pull your punch back when your opponent drops down in front of you?
You didn't read my post? Because I don't know whether I would land before I make contact, so I pull back regardless. Like I said, I don't experience any lose of power with pulling back. You don't know whether you will land or not, this is so dynamic, not like you have time to think on the fly.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This seems like a weird question. Let's break it down.
If you pull it back straight away...
..you can punch again
..you are less likely to be grabbed
..you can resume a covered position
..you can better maintain ballance and mobility
These are the benefits.

If you leave your arm extended
..I can't think of any benefits, and all of the above benefits turn into drawbacks.

Why is this being asked?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My question is when you train your solo drill (or solo form), do you image that your punch will land, or do you image that your punch will miss?

In other words, when you train, do you train

- follow-through?
- not follow-through?
- both?
But you can follow though and still immediately retract. Think of it as an elliptical motion.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
..you can punch again
These are the benefits.

..I can't think of any benefits, and all of the above benefits turn into drawbacks.

Why is this being asked?
Nothing better to do on Friday.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Throw the punch and then step towards it. So the distance it has to travel back to your face is shorter.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
..you can punch again
These are the benefits.

Why is this being asked?
Do you think these training are wrong? They all freeze their punches into the thin air. Why?

https://i.postimg.cc/zXgzFN3X/Baji-Fajin.gif

In the other thread, I also believe to pull back punch fast is a good idea. But I'm not sure I belong to the majority, or the minority?

https://i.postimg.cc/t44JZQk4/my-pull-punch-1.gif

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you think these training are wrong? They all freeze their punches into the thin air. Why?

Remind me of what I have been talking about Chinkuchi of Okinawa Karate:

This is what I have been talking all along, coordinate the body parts to focus at one spot.

What you show looks to be similar. BUT, I don't think the move is useful. Practice with the most effective type of attack rather than those that might look mysterious and do nothing. People don't fight like this other than the old TCMA that proved to be useless. You want to palm strike, elbow, do it in the way that actually can attack people in the real world,

Idea is very simple, just takes a lot of practice to be able to do it. Nothing mysterious about it, I think every MA style knows it, just call it differently. Boxing sure has this, we learn it about the first class in my TKD school. But do it in more practical way, pull back after the Chinkuchi. The event is over, why leave the fist hanging for people to grab?

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My question is when you train your solo drill (or solo form), do you image that your punch will land, or do you image that your punch will miss?

In other words, when you train, do you train

- follow-through?
- not follow-through?
- both?
I train with the intention to succeed and deliver power. But I recognize that I cannot assume that will happen.

I’m not sure what you are looking for. There isn’t an exact formula for this.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think different Systems have their own philosophy on punches. All with some merit..
Swinging punches, WT chain punches, karate Power one punch kill mentality. Using hips..etc
All ok I mean why not use what's useful to you.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
..you can punch again
These are the benefits.
Doing this will allow faster combos as well as allowing the punching arm to immediately be recycled into a block to handle a counter.

But, rather than "pulling" the punch back, proper chinkuchi will let the punch '"bounce" back on its own accord. The difference in more than semantic. Pulling infers a separate conscious motion, whereas the bounce back is a result of the (snapping) punch itself.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's assume you punch on the heavy bag. When you punch on your heavy bag, you are thinking about "power generation". You are not thinking about "fighting".

Do you prefer to punch like this?

or like this?

https://i.postimg.cc/mrddKSxV/my-pull-punch-1.gif
For the most part, I punch the heavy bag using what I expect to be my punches in a fight. Sure, sometimes I punch it to focus on power generation or to tweak some bit or another, but mostly I punch it to practice the punches I'd use if I needed them. So, for the most part, I'm thinking about fighting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when you punch on your heavy bag, do you let your fist to go all the way in, and then "freeze" for a while, or do you pull back fast? Or do you do both?
My focus is on punching the bag with appropriate force (for the type of punch) and retracting. I don't practice "freezing" it in place. I can get full penetration without needing to pause.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the other thread, I also believe to pull back punch fast is a good idea. But I'm not sure I belong to the majority, or the minority?

https://i.postimg.cc/t44JZQk4/my-pull-punch-1.gif
IMO, there's nothing "wrong" about drills that leave the hand out. They are there to teach/focus on specfic principles. I use some of these. But those are mostly for "air punching". I don't see nearly as much benefit from repetive practice of this on a target.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In another thread, I suggest people to pull the punch back fast instead of to let the punch to be frozen in the thin air. I then realize that I may not be fair when I say that.

When you punch, you can let your punch to go all the way, or you can pull your punch back fast. Which way is better? Your thought?

Let the punch to go all the way.

https://i.postimg.cc/m2M5hMM2/Baji-Fajin.gif

Pull punch back fast.

https://i.postimg.cc/mrddKSxV/my-pull-punch-1.gif
I don't think it's and issue of a better way. Each has it's own purpose. If you plan on throwing another punch, then you need pull the fist back fast after it has done its job. This will allow you to throw a second punch.

You can leave the fist out with certain techniques so you can flow through or you can leave it out to flow into a different technique.

Two examples. Double Jab vs. Circular long fist punch

Long fist punches like this require that you punch all the way through. Trying to pull this punch back quickly will only cause injury to the person throwing it. Even when it lands, you want the force to continue. It's like swinging bat. Do you try to quickly pull the bat back once it makes contact or do you swing all the way through?
1637513074514.png

Each punch has it's own requirements, so a person should be focused on "What is better for punching technique A? Leave it out there or pull it back? What is better for punching technique B?"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's and issue of a better way. Each has it's own purpose. If you plan on throwing another punch, then you need pull the fist back fast after it has done its job. This will allow you to throw a second punch.

You can leave the fist out with certain techniques so you can flow through or you can leave it out to flow into a different technique.

Two examples. Double Jab vs. Circular long fist punch

Long fist punches like this require that you punch all the way through. Trying to pull this punch back quickly will only cause injury to the person throwing it. Even when it lands, you want the force to continue. It's like swinging bat. Do you try to quickly pull the bat back once it makes contact or do you swing all the way through?
View attachment 27627

Each punch has it's own requirements, so a person should be focused on "What is better for punching technique A? Leave it out there or pull it back? What is better for punching technique B?"
I can't speak to long fist punches, but most round strikes (including a baseball bat) naturally retract past their apex, solving the problem of it hanging out there. That allows you to pass completely through the target (area), then retract to guard position after the energy is spent. I think pulling back to retract really mostly applies to straight-line attacks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't speak to long fist punches, but most round strikes (including a baseball bat) naturally retract past their apex, solving the problem of it hanging out there. That allows you to pass completely through the target (area), then retract to guard position after the energy is spent. I think pulling back to retract really mostly applies to straight-line attacks.
Not all of them. In Jow Ga we have long fist punches that flow all the way through and then we have long hooks that stop right in front of our face. It's the same with upper cuts. Some go all the way through some stop after a certain point so that you can reload. Boxing has both as well with their hooks and uppercuts. The main difference is that they mostly use the shorter version of the hook and upper cut. There 's one boxer who sends it all the way through, but I can't remember his name.

here a couple of hooks.

Some circular punches you don't want to flow all the way through because it leaves you open.

Latest Discussions