Is it a good idea to pull your punch back fast?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Training is training. It is not fighting."

"Then what's it for?"

"it is not fighting."

"Then what's it for?"

"it is not fighting."

Everyone who trains anything, trains to fight themselves first and foremost. Idle hands are the devil's playground, and that devil is you. So grab an axe, and give chase! That's why I train, at least.

This thread reminds me of an old Cantonese legend about an attack dog and an invisible kick. The hand does stays out so the dog attacks it, but it's dead before it ever sees the real killing blow.

So what if your attacker is actually a pit bull? You're really gonna want to not leave your hand out there unless you are really, really, really good.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Training is training. It is not fighting."

"Then what's it for?"

"it is not fighting."

"Then what's it for?"

"it is not fighting."

Everyone who trains anything, trains to fight themselves first and foremost. Idle hands are the devil's playground, and that devil is you. So grab an axe, and give chase! That's why I train, at least.

This thread reminds me of an old Cantonese legend about an attack dog and an invisible kick. The hand does stays out so the dog attacks it, but it's dead before it ever sees the real killing blow.

So what if your attacker is actually a pit bull? You're really gonna want to not leave your hand out there unless you are really, really, really good.
I think it "LOOKS" good leaving the hands out when doing forms"kata". People mistaken that should be the way to do in real fights. You see in Olympics they leave their hands out when doing forms to show the Chinkuchi. I wonder how they fight in real world.

You would think people that practice punch and leaving their hands out have experience in fighting, that they should know better.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it "LOOKS" good leaving the hands out when doing forms"kata". People mistaken that should be the way to do in real fights. You see in Olympics they leave their hands out when doing forms to show the Chinkuchi. I wonder how they fight in real world.

You would think people that practice punch and leaving their hands out have experience in fighting, that they should know better.
Boxers do it all the time, in matches, to control distance or to feint. They can do that because they're not expecting a Shadowless Kick to the stomach. When things get heavier, that's when they'll tend to pull their guard in and focus on defense.

In sports like jiujitsu and grappling combat, it makes less sense. That's like actually placing your wrist in the dog's mouth. Any time a limb gets too far from the body, that's probably true. It's like dangling tuna in front of a great white.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This seems like a weird question. Let's break it down.
If you pull it back straight away...
..you can punch again
..you are less likely to be grabbed
..you can resume a covered position
..you can better maintain ballance and mobility
These are the benefits.

If you leave your arm extended
..I can't think of any benefits, and all of the above benefits turn into drawbacks.

Why is this being asked?
I overall agree with you, but there are two benefits that I can think of to leaving your arm out there.

1. In combat, certain punches can lead to grabs and/or hooking the opponent. So a punch leading to a shoulder grab right into a sweep could work, and not require pulling the arm back. You are taking the risks of the reverse of the above though (more likely to be grabbed, less covered position, balance/mobility issues).

2. In training/practice, leaving it out so that your instructor can look at your fully extended position before your next punch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxers do it all the time, in matches, to control distance or to feint. They can do that because they're not expecting a Shadowless Kick to the stomach. When things get heavier, that's when they'll tend to pull their guard in and focus on defense.

In sports like jiujitsu and grappling combat, it makes less sense. That's like actually placing your wrist in the dog's mouth. Any time a limb gets too far from the body, that's probably true. It's like dangling tuna in front of a great white.
Even in grappling, there can be feints and fake openings, just like with striking. If I leave an arm out in grappling, I'm either hoping for them to take it, so they clearly cannot grab the arm. Or I might be trying to convince them I want them to take it, and they're not a great fool, so clearly they can't not grab the arm.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even in grappling, there can be feints and fake openings, just like with striking. If I leave an arm out in grappling, I'm either hoping for them to take it, so they clearly cannot grab the arm. Or I might be trying to convince them I want them to take it, and they're not a great fool, so clearly they can't not grab the arm.
I agree.

Sometimes you're the shark, and sometimes the tuna.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Untill one day it back fires on you. In a real fight outside you would be foolish to do it. Boxing in a ring is totally different. If I was a boxer fighting a Gracie no way would I Exposé my limbs too long.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Untill one day it back fires on you. In a real fight outside you would be foolish to do it. Boxing in a ring is totally different. If I was a boxer fighting a Gracie no way would I Exposé my limbs too long.
Tuna on top.

Note the great white by the size of his calves.

1637619779353.png

1637619790152.png

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here are examples that you leave your arms out on purpose.

View attachment 27636

The first one reminds me of the really old Kwan Tak Hing starring in Wong Fei Hung from the 50s, now you watch it, it's kind of comical:

The second video remind me of our Judo demonstration in the show we did when I was a kid, the one being thrown almost jump to be thrown down to help the teacher.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even boxing pull back their fist a lot. Only when you are sure of a hit before you go all out without pulling back.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first one reminds me of the really old Kwan Tak Hing starring in Wong Fei Hung from the 50s, now you watch it, it's kind of comical:
He was the Bugs Bunny of kung fu and made more movies than almost anyone in history. 130+

Tak-hing, not Bugs. Bugs made even more.

1637636178082.png

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fight how I fight. Facing a better fighter, I don’t go to my B game.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I fight how I fight. Facing a better fighter, I don’t go to my B game.
In competition Judo, kodokan judo they will when standing try various Grips to get an advantage to execute or find an opening so I get what you're saying but on the streets it's not like this. I've seen people being pulled inward for a head butt. Happens very quickly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In competition Judo, kodokan judo they will when standing try various Grips to get an advantage to execute or find an opening so I get what you're saying but on the streets it's not like this. I've seen people being pulled inward for a head butt. Happens very quickly.
And if you practice with these things in mind, they are less of an issue. When I leave limb out, there are reasons for that, and I have responses to what they do with them. Pulling the end of my arm won't move either of us much closer to the other (slack in the arm) unless that's my plan or you are really good. And if you're that good, changing my game plan won't improve my chances.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And if you practice with these things in mind, they are less of an issue. When I leave limb out, there are reasons for that, and I have responses to what they do with them. Pulling the end of my arm won't move either of us much closer to the other (slack in the arm) unless that's my plan or you are really good. And if you're that good, changing my game plan won't improve my chances.
What do you train in yourself ?

Latest Discussions