Is brachial stun effective for real fight

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only if it makes their head explode as you suggest.

Which we really only have your word for.

If I can hit a guy in the brachial plexus I will. It is a legal target.

Just for you science boffins behind the ear might be the Vegas nerve. Probably much safer.

So let me get this straight.....at the gymn while training you would target your training partner's Brachial Plexus? Why?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.....at the gymn while training you would target your training partner's Brachial Plexus? Why?

Because thats fighting. I also kick punch and choke people.

I am probably targeting a lot of Latin names to be honest.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because thats fighting. I also kick punch and choke people.

I am probably targeting a lot of Latin names to be honest.

In training? Why injure your training partner?

I understand in a real fight or full contact match.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You are so far the only person who has suggested it is more dangerous than punching someone in the face.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are so far the only person who has suggested it is more dangerous than punching someone in the face.

Probably because I injured mine in high school and know how painful it is.

I also had a friend that missed his whole sophomore season due to a pretty bad injury to his.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your arm goes limp for a few minutes, and it is an extreme burning pain that runs from your neck down your arm.

Mine was minor with the pain and soreness lasting for about 3-4 days.

My friend had problems with numbness and pain in his arm for about 6 months while the nerve healed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I also had a friend that missed his whole sophomore season due to a pretty bad injury to his.

I have a broken hand from wrestling. And will spend 6 weeks in a cast.

We are martial artists not the knitting circle.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your arm goes limp for a few minutes, and it is an extreme burning pain that runs from your neck down your arm.

My friend had problems with numbness and pain in his arm for about 6 months while the nerve healed.

Punches in the head do that as well.
Burners and Stingers-OrthoInfo - AAOS

Yep been there as well.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a broken hand from wrestling. And will spend 6 weeks in a cast.

We are martial artists not the knitting circle.

By all means have at each other. Hell...I don't care its not my neck.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if you are punching kicking or throwing you are still in danger of burner injuries.

Sorry.

No need for sorry....again its not my neck. Get after it.

In our training, we don't target it so we don't risk rupture or avulsion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No need for sorry....again its not my neck. Get after it.

In our training, we don't target it so we don't risk rupture or avulsion.

Do you get your head turned forcefully to the side?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you get your head turned forcefully to the side?

Sure.

But according to our medical staff, blunt force applied directly to the nerve has a higher risk of rupture or the nerve being torn. So when it is taught it is done so in a very controlled manner.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is another application from an MMA fight for those that only think things work in a sport environment. It's a little hard to tell, but on the replay with the camera angles, you see Robbie Lawler miss his hook punch and hits Tiki right in the brachial plexus.

Robbie Lawler vs Tiki Ghosn UFC 40 Full Fight MMA Video (it happens around the 1:45 mark)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure.

But according to our medical staff, blunt force applied directly to the nerve has a higher risk of rupture or the nerve being torn. So when it is taught it is done so in a very controlled manner.

According to our medical staff it isn't.

Think spinning backfists to the neck.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One reason I can think of... not to try to "injure" your training partner, but to let them know they're open for that particular thing. As Drop said, training for contact isn't knitting.

Though... knitting needles are legal to carry on an airplane, as long as you have a ball of yarn, too. They make excellent stilettos. The knives, not the high heels.

I've caught people in pressure points, though not because I was "trying" to get one... it just happened. I aim for chin or jaw, they flinch or deflect, and you hit something else. It happens. The people react inordinately to what just hit them and you're left going... "What just happened?" Until you think about it... Oh! Neat, I suppose. Can be dangerous, but then, so is crossing the street.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I had an injury that took me out for a couple months, the technique was still taught. I would still do it on others. I know a couple friends who were out for longer. If you're taking your training seriously, you're going to get injured, so it doesn't matter if you're aiming for the dangerous parts, or those dangerous areas get hit accidentally.

Difference I think is your training is just from being a LEO. Not as intense/not everyone is interested in it, especially since in your field the department can't afford those injuries so they encourage you to be more careful than you might otherwise be.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have read in a blog that the brachial stun can easily shut a person down with one touch, Do you guy think this technique is effective in a street fight.
It's not a touch.

Remember Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's creature?
Frankenstein%27s_monster_%28Boris_Karloff%29.jpg

See the bolts on the neck? Those are the target points. You want to hit them hard, preferably with a ridgehand or forearm strike, and leave the strike "stuck" there for a couple of seconds. It's called impact with time on target.

There is a really big nerve complex there and when it gets whacked, it's pretty devastating. SWMBO weighs significantly less than I do and stands about 7 inches shorter. She has put me down on my hands and knees more than once with a light impact just slapping with the back of her hand. Mongo not happy camper when that happens.