Is ball of the foot roundhouse outdated with modern shoes?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I almost exclusively use the ball of the foot when sparring. Occasionally I use the shin for light leg kicks or the instep for kicks to the head but I personally prefer the ball of the foot when barefoot. It definitely has power for me, but you won't know what works for you until you try it 1000+ times against various opponents

As for barefoot. Can I throw a ball of the foot without pulling my toes back and still be OK when it makes contact in sparring?..isn't it all down to angle of the foot, and less so about toes pulled back?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dvcochrans expert opinion based on snap shots was that this kick lacked power. :D

Just goes to show you that photos don't mean anything.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dvcochrans expert opinion based on snap shots was that this kick lacked power. :D

Just goes to show you that photos don't mean anything.

Well, what little bit of power you did make hit nothing. Your foot did not even make it to the center of your body so you clearly under rotated, you were corkscrewing, hips & shoulders were out of place, chamber was all wrong, hands/arms all wrong.
I could keep going but.... why?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, what little bit of power you did make hit nothing. Your foot did not even make it to the center of your body so you clearly under rotated, you were corkscrewing, hips & shoulders were out of place, chamber was all wrong, hands/arms all wrong.
I could keep going but.... why

"Hips and shoulder out of place". Man, chill out on the technical terms!

I threw a corkscrew alright, and I don't need to do it fast since my technique is sound....

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the foot is encased in a shoe, the toe of the shoe can substitute for the ball of the foot.
FWIW General Choi's text says much the same in his text when addressing "Turning Kick" "Toes. The principle of kicking procedure is exactly the same as the Ball of the foot , and the use of it becomes broader when wearing shoes...." I would add that just as the shoes make it difficult to flex the foot to hit with the ball of the foot sparring safety gear often presents the same issue. Have had the pleasure of being kicked in the head By Bill Wallace doing the roundhouse kick and thought my guard was positioned to prevent this. It was only after i saw him do it to someone else I realized he was using the toes and the foot being at 90 degrees to his leg allowed it go behind my arm and still make contact with the toes.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
FWIW General Choi's text says much the same in his text when addressing "Turning Kick" "
There's a lot of rubbish in his textbook.

For instance saying in common principles section for kicking: "every move should, with few exceptions begin with a backward motion", which is not correct and just confused.

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nr 10 below. No real martial artist would prescripe that, so I'm guessing it was a confused General Choi .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930-022313.png
    Screenshot_20210930-022313.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any non spinning kick that begins with a backward motion would look quite comical...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nr 10 below. No real martial artist would prescripe that, so I'm guessing it was a confused General Choi .
I'd definitely be interested in GM @Earl Weiss's thoughts on that, as he's trained more with General Choi than anyone else I know (and General Choi's senior students).

Feels 100% wrong to my brain, but I'm coming from a Kukkiwon point of view.

Is this something General Choi stood by, or did he put it in one book and then realise that it wasn't right and removed it from others?

Thanks.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd definitely be interested in GM @Earl Weiss's thoughts on that, as he's trained more with General Choi than anyone else I know (and General Choi's senior students).

Is this something General Choi stood by, or did he put it in one book and then realise that it wasn't right and removed it from others?

Thanks.

It's not the first edition.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a lot of rubbish in his textbook.

For instance saying in common principles section for kicking: "every move should, with few exceptions begin with a backward motion", which is not correct and just confused.
""FWIW General Choi's text says much the same in his text when addressing "Turning Kick" ""

First address the quote above your respsonse.

Do you think that is Rubbish?

Next address the "Backward motion" comment you think is rubbish understanding that rear leg front snap kick was an explicit exception when he taught as well as explaining "Backward Motion" was meant to mean "Opposite direction" as well.

Please give examples of kicks where the leg / foot does not move backward or opposite direction before traveling toward the target. Then compare how many of those there are versus exceptions.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks.
Sir, when he taught the "Backward Motion" was further described as "Opposite Direction" or what some might call a chamber. So, basically with one of his favorite exception examples being rear leg front snap kick, I would say many kicks do not go from the foot being on the ground in a direct line to the target with always decreasing distance from foot to target and no chamber s opposed to where the distance from foot to target initially increases (As part of the Chamber and knee flexion) and then travels toward the target.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, all your non spinning kicks go directly from the ground to the target without any chamber whatsoever?

Any "non spin kick chamber" travels forward, not backward. Regardless of it being semi circular or straight/front chamber.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
""FWIW General Choi's text says much the same in his text when addressing "Turning Kick" ""

First address the quote above your response.

Do you think that is Rubbish?
The quote about using the toes is not rubbish but pretty odd... I can't flex my toes in these shoes. Do you see any difference to my technique that warrants a change to toes as kicking tool?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's more rubbish in the encyclopedia...

All side kick extentions are Illustrated with a straight stand leg. Yet the instructional references standing leg straight as "incorrect".

Standing leg straight for side kick extention is correct for forms, optional for sparring.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any "non spin kick chamber" travels forward, not backward. Regardless of it being semi circular or straight/front chamber.
The knee may move forward but it also bends so the foot moves in the opposite direction.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
The knee may move forward but it also bends so the foot moves in the opposite direction.

That's not the beginning movement. The foot doesn't tuck until well up in the air.

He wrote: every movement must begin with a backward motion.

Latest Discussions