Is Adrian Roman correct about the evolution of kenpo?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, doesn't this all sound identical to the orginal jeet kune do vs. jeet kune do concepts arguement?

AoG

Yep. All in the name of more customers.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
It kind of makes one wonder why the chief didn't complain to Ed Parker about his system, when he was alive. Oh, that's right, he would have been proved wrong.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have echoed the idea that extensions are a waste of time if you have not nailed the base technique. I have stated similar sentiments myself here on MT. However, I in no way believe that Adrian is even remotely qualified to make any corrections. His video tracks demonstrate horrible basics, and no understanding of the underlying concepts or principles present in the base techniques.

Does he have some points? Sure. Is he the guy to fix them? Hell no. His point of origination is so flawed, that he would have to put another 20 years into fixing his own broke self before he would even be at a starting point of qualification to offer an opinion on long-term solutions. He represents exactly what is broken about kenpo: Incompetent practitioners making unformed modifications to material they never "got" in the first place.

As someone with a good snifter of Cherokee and Choctaw in my veins (on of my maternal great grand-mothers was on the Trail of Tears) and 35 years in kenpo, I am ashamed by his antics...both as an American aboriginal, and a kenpoist.

Sincerely,

David. W. Crouch, DC
Student of Kenpo
Much of what he says is very true, but as Dr. Dave as pointed out, he is hardly a guy to launch criticisms or make changes. This however does not detract from the correctness of much of what he has to say. Truth always works no matter the source.

Latest Discussions