Iron palm

Darko

White Belt
Reaction score
I am at the beginning of my WC training under sifu Drazen Pantalic in Bosna and Herzegovina, in the lineage of grand master Yip Man -> grand master William Cheung - > sifu D.P.

It goes pretty well, and i think that my sifu is a very competent teacher.

But there is one thing i would like to hear the opinions of other too, of WC community here, and that is on the topic of the iron palm.

GM W. Cheung instructed our sifu to teach the Iron Palm technique from the sixth degree and on, (so to about 4-5 years in training students)
Well, my question is should i start doing it myself before, i'm currently second degree. And is it just a myth? He ( GM W.C. ) instructed us to get (not from him, where we can find it ), some herbal extracts, that when massaged in the hitting part (knuckles, palm and beneath the knee), will result in harder, stronger bones by stimulating the body to concentrate more calcium in those parts.

So, what are you thinking about the iron palm, and that herbal extracts?

OP
D

Darko

White Belt
Reaction score
No, no you shouldn't, doing it yourself is a great way to cripple your hands when you get older.

I thought that. And i have a big concern about it, because besides being, or trying to be a martial artist, i am a musician too, so my fingers/hands mean much to me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I thought that. And i have a big concern about it, because besides being, or trying to be a martial artist, i am a musician too, so my fingers/hands mean much to me.

Then wait for your sifu to teach you and yes there is an herbal needed by some who teach Iron palm and the formula can vary a bit form sifu to sifu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then wait for your sifu to teach you and yes there is an herbal needed by some who teach Iron palm and the formula can vary a bit form sifu to sifu

Iron palm training is not intrinsic to Wing Chun, and it is not essential for proficiency. And, as a musician who depends upon the dexterity of your fingers, I would go very easy on any hand conditioning regimen. That includes wall bag training. If you do it at all, fill the bag with a soft material, definitely nothing harder than beans, and limit your reps. Let your body be your guide. If you experience pain, back off.

As far as the herbal liniments or "dit da jow" preparations. I use them, and sometimes they seem to reduce bruising and soreness. But don't believe any of the miraculous curative powers people will attribute to them. They are just liniments ...that's all. They are not magic. And they won't save your hands if you subject them to abuse.

Lastly, remember a Sifu is just a skilled instructor. Not an infallible spiritual leader, not a medical doctor (unless so trained) and not the ultimate font of wisdom. You are responsible for your own health in this lifetime. Take that responsibility seriously and use good judgement!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As far as the herbal liniments or "dit da jow" preparations. I use them, and sometimes they seem to reduce bruising and soreness. But don't believe any of the miraculous curative powers people will attribute to them. They are just liniments ...that's all. They are not magic. And they won't save your hands if you subject them to abuse.

Never meant to imply it had miraculous curative powers...because it doesn't and I did not use it when I did some iron palm training. Add to that the better half is a TCM MD from China and does not really like dit da jow, she feels there are better ways to deal with bruising...first and foremost don't do anything to intentionally cause bruises in the first place.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Iron palm is not a part of Wing Chun training.

My first WC instructor added "iron palm" into his curriculum. Later, I trained under a much more proficient instructor who had learned directly from Leung Sheung and later on, from Yip Man. He said the same thing. WC has no "iron palm" and needs no "iron palm"!

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, suffice it to say a whole lot of things are "different" in William Cheung's particular version of Wing Chun.

I don't mean to criticize that lineage, but I feel that anyone looking to get into Wing Chun who is considering training under William Cheung's system should just know that it is very different from all of the other Yip Man lineages.

Latest Discussions