Invention of palgwe

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering if someone can give the name of the person/persons that 'invented' the set of palgwe forms. Also , the year they were invented would be handy to know as well. If anyone has any accurate information on this it would be much appreciated.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know they were only around a few years before they were revamped and the Tae Geuk were introduced. This happened as the last two Kwans came in.
Its very strange that forms that were officially around for about 5-7 years are still out there.

Dave O.

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our GM only teaches palgwes and has for 30-40 years. He does not like the taegek forms but I dont know why. I asked my instructor once and he believes the palgwes are harder to do and thats why they have stuck with them. Personally I believe its poltical as our GM hates the kukkiwon with an absolute passion and probably stays with the palgwes as it goes against what the kukkiwon would want , this is only my guess though. Our club is not alone as I have spoken to other tkdists who attend clubs that only teach palgwes.
Back to topic though , I was just wondering who came up with them originally and at what time just because Im curious.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty here in the states that do. Thats what happens when a bunch of folks come here at the same time and there is no communication back home for years. Korea moved on shortly after but they kept doing their thing.
I am sure someone will have the exact dates. I know it was after the unification of Kwans but before the last split of Moo Duk Kwan which brought in the half that came back to the TKD group with another Kwan. This was when they re did to what is now being used.

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Same here, my GM also teaches Palgwe, he came from Korea around the end of the 70's. I have watched Taeguk performed several times and can say that I don't really like them, but haven't yet figured out whether it's something specific or just because I'm not used to them.

The funny thing to me at least is that I have the most trouble remembering Palgwe 1 and 2 , and generally remember the rest ok, in fact I think that I prefer Palgwe 8 over Koroyo

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same here, my GM also teaches Palgwe, he came from Korea around the end of the 70's. I have watched Taeguk performed several times and can say that I don't really like them, but haven't yet figured out whether it's something specific or just because I'm not used to them.

The funny thing to me at least is that I have the most trouble remembering Palgwe 1 and 2 , and generally remember the rest ok, in fact I think that I prefer Palgwe 8 over Koroyo
I agree , palgwe 1 and 2 are the hardest for me to remember also. I love palgwes 7 and 8.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was an interesting post from MT member Robert McClain where he stated his teacher, GM Kim Soo, discovered from an old friend high in the KKW, that much of the motivation for switching from the Palgwes was due to GM Kim's books on those forms. Apparently, the people in charge of the KKW back then didn't like the idea of someone outside their circle being the first to publish a book on their forms, so some new forms had to be designed pronto.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was an interesting post from MT member Robert McClain where he stated his teacher, GM Kim Soo, discovered from an old friend high in the KKW, that much of the motivation for switching from the Palgwes was due to GM Kim's books on those forms. Apparently, the people in charge of the KKW back then didn't like the idea of someone outside their circle being the first to publish a book on their forms, so some new forms had to be designed pronto.

LOL, ego... a lot of that in the history of TKD...

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It has been my understanding the Palgwe's & yudanja forms were developed by a group of kwan reps in 1968.

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At one point I learned both sets of forms. But now are school just does taeguk

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the same gentlemen who designed the Pal Gwes also designed the Tae Gueks, too? I feel better liking the Pal Gwes better, now.

Latest Discussions