Intro 2015: The Paleo (Paleolithic) Diet!

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After deciding last year (and after a decent amount of personal research and fact-checking) that I wanted to incorporate the "Paleo" concept into my current fitness program, I've spent the better part of December working up a program plan to add to my lifestyle (to be implemented starting this week!). Besides the diet, I've adjusted my pre-workout/training routine to include primal movements along with the joint mobility exercises. Accusations of "Paleo-fantasy" (most of which are valid points in themselves) aside, I see the obvious benefits of a grain-free, gluten-free, nutrient rich diet which shuns processed foods, food products and artificial ingredients. I'm skeptical as to whether one can really "detox" the body as most mainstream health junkies would have you believe, but I have never questioned the pluses of eating natural food, and cutting down on excess carbs and junk.

I'll be adding the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle to my current training program, which outside boxing and Muay Thai consists mostly of kettlebell (primary), jump rope and bodyweight training.

Has anyone else here ever tried to the Paleo Diet too - thoughts on it? Or turned to nutrition as a means of improving their health or performance in the martial arts? Cheers.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After deciding last year (and after a decent amount of personal research and fact-checking) that I wanted to incorporate the "Paleo" concept into my current fitness program, I've spent the better part of December working up a program plan to add to my lifestyle (to be implemented starting this week!). Besides the diet, I've adjusted my pre-workout/training routine to include primal movements along with the joint mobility exercises. Accusations of "Paleo-fantasy" (most of which are valid points in themselves) aside, I see the obvious benefits of a grain-free, gluten-free, nutrient rich diet which shuns processed foods, food products and artificial ingredients. I'm skeptical as to whether one can really "detox" the body as most mainstream health junkies would have you believe, but I have never questioned the pluses of eating natural food, and cutting down on excess carbs and junk.

I'll be adding the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle to my current training program, which outside boxing and Muay Thai consists mostly of kettlebell (primary), jump rope and bodyweight training.

Has anyone else here ever tried to the Paleo Diet too - thoughts on it? Or turned to nutrition as a means of improving their health or performance in the martial arts? Cheers.

Not personally, would not know what a lot of that is lol, but a work colleague is starting a month detox from today. He is looking into Paleo but not sure if he is going to go for that. I will mention what you have written. Looks quite interesting. Good luck with it!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More good reading, I can recommend Gary's stuff, he spends a lot of time researching and looking into things, he's pretty good on MMA and kickboxing too as well as all the other stuff he does, multi talented and owns two of the most gorgeous dogs going.
Gary Turner

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are what we eat. In this day of fast food and the fact that everyone is in a huge hurry to fit as much into a day as they can, our health through diet can suffer.
Just like any high performance vehicle, which is what our bodies are, given the proper fuel, will preform at optimal levels, as it was designed to do.
The three main elimination organs of the body are the kidneys, the liver, and the colon.
Through a balanced natural diet and daily exercise we can go a long way in helping to ensure these above organs work at optimal levels.
As the OP mentions, adding the Paleo concepts to an already focused effort, IMO will go a long way in helping our body do one of it's main functions, elimination on a daily basis of toxins.
Processed foods, along with the addition of sugar into our food source by manufactures has done much to harm us. (Good luck on your quest to obtain great health through personal responsibility of your health...... :)

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not personally, would not know what a lot of that is lol, but a work colleague is starting a month detox from today. He is looking into Paleo but not sure if he is going to go for that. I will mention what you have written. Looks quite interesting. Good luck with it!
Hello, Transk!

Basically, The "Paleo" diet seeks to mimic what our ancestors would have eaten in the Paleolithic era. Essentially a no-grain, no-gluten, high-fat, high-nutrient diet veering away from processed foodstuffs and anything artificial.

I'm also trying to look into 30 day detoxes myself. It's definitely not as restrictive as the Paleo Diet. I hope your friend sees it through! Cheers to good health!

Indeed that was a brilliant article. Thank you for that, Tez. I've always been skeptical of how much faith conventional wisdom seems to place on fiber, roughage and Vitamin C as "nature's broom". I've bookmarked this here link to show to others. Much thanks!

We are what we eat. In this day of fast food and the fact that everyone is in a huge hurry to fit as much into a day as they can, our health through diet can suffer.
Just like any high performance vehicle, which is what our bodies are, given the proper fuel, will preform at optimal levels, as it was designed to do.
The three main elimination organs of the body are the kidneys, the liver, and the colon.
Through a balanced natural diet and daily exercise we can go a long way in helping to ensure these above organs work at optimal levels.
As the OP mentions, adding the Paleo concepts to an already focused effort, IMO will go a long way in helping our body do one of it's main functions, elimination on a daily basis of toxins.
Processed foods, along with the addition of sugar into our food source by manufactures has done much to harm us. (Good luck on your quest to obtain great health through personal responsibility of your health...... :)
Thank you, Seas.

The Paleo Movement also occasionally supports sustainable development and responsible agriculture. As someone nuts over renewable energy and green solutions, it's something very close to my heart.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, Transk!

Basically, The "Paleo" diet seeks to mimic what our ancestors would have eaten in the Paleolithic era. Essentially a no-grain, no-gluten, high-fat, high-nutrient diet veering away from processed foodstuffs and anything artificial.

I'm also trying to look into 30 day detoxes myself. It's definitely not as restrictive as the Paleo Diet. I hope your friend sees it through! Cheers to good health!

Personally along with the usual eat this, then don't eat this kind of food, I was told about "Milk Thistle" Still use it on the odd occasion now. How that would fit into any kind of diet/detox programme not sure.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading, looking up and doing a fair bit of research I wouldn't touch the 'Paleo diet', apart fro the no eating processed food which I don't anyway I can't see anything good about it, it's totally unrealistic and I think leaves you in danger of actually eating worse. I think it's just another fad based of somewhat iffy science. There is plenty of criticism about it coming from well qualified sources. So much is based on what a supposed caveman ate.
How to Really Eat Like a Hunter-Gatherer Why the Paleo Diet Is Half-Baked Interactive Infographic - Scientific American

Food for thought Cooking in human evolution - Neuroanthropology

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never had a need for dieting, but have watched countless people I've trained with go on them for a long time.

My brother-in-law (an all natural, holistic kind of guy - I call him a cosmic oatmeal cookie, lovingly) was a good black belt in his day. He hasn't trained in twenty years and recently became obese. He went on the Paleo diet a year ago. Lost forty pounds, his cholesterol dropped off the charts and he feels great. We resume training, him and I, this Wednesday in grappling.

From what I've seen, I have nothing but good things to say about the Paleo thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopping eating processed food, eating clean and exercise will have you losing weight and feeling better, there are very little actual scientific studies that say the paleo diet is a good one to follow.
Don t Eat Like a Caveman Food Safety News

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fad diets are just that; fads. There's no real benefit to them other than generating cash for the author, their publisher, and the bookstore.
Eat a balanced diet. If you're gaining weight, decrease the portion size and exercise more.
That's all you really need to read about diets.
"Cleansing" and "detoxing" don't do anything (well, sometimes they make people sick... but they don't do anything beneficial).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Sister a couple years ago or so, came up with a great diet. Fruit and veg, white meat etc.. Boxercise bootcamp, the gym and running. She is doing a half marathon this year. None of fangled supplements, shakes and whatever. Quite proud of her, and in the process of just healthy eating, she dropped an impressive amount of weight, not that she obese. She has done a tough mudder as well. Oh and she started a bit of kick boxing as well :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had a need for dieting, but have watched countless people I've trained with go on them for a long time.

My brother-in-law (an all natural, holistic kind of guy - I call him a cosmic oatmeal cookie, lovingly) was a good black belt in his day. He hasn't trained in twenty years and recently became obese. He went on the Paleo diet a year ago. Lost forty pounds, his cholesterol dropped off the charts and he feels great. We resume training, him and I, this Wednesday in grappling.

From what I've seen, I have nothing but good things to say about the Paleo thing.
I think it all has to do with different strokes for different folks. What works for one may not work for another. Good for your brother-in-law for loosing the weight and getting healthy.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you guy's pertaining to fad diets, well rounded and balanced is key. I can only speak for myself, but when I dropped all sugar and processed food, I also dropped 3 different med's I was on. also, I lost 35 pounds over the past few years and I feel great. The only problem I have is I'm still old, bummer. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stopping eating processed food, eating clean and exercise will have you losing weight and feeling better, there are very little actual scientific studies that say the paleo diet is a good one to follow.
Don t Eat Like a Caveman Food Safety News
Couldn't this just be a case of calling what you do, the Paleo Diet? There is nothing wrong with cutting the donuts, and pastries. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you guy's pertaining to fad diets, well rounded and balanced is key. I can only speak for myself, but when I dropped all sugar and processed food, I also dropped 3 different med's I was on. also, I lost 35 pounds over the past few years and I feel great. The only problem I have is I'm still old, bummer. :)

One of the things I did was cut out the sugar :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great idea. Plus all the hidden sugar in all the box food.

Yes I must concede that I labels meant whether it was Heinz 57 or whatever. Do a little research, it quite eye opening. Then you have to think about what "is not on the label" Quite shocking really. I understand that the USA is one of the biggest advocates of GM stuff? Apologies to the OP if Oft, but what is the reality on that seasoned? Is something that is consciously thought of, or just the "it tastes good whatever dude" kind of thing?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think what might be the greatest benefit of any diet is you're changing your eating habits. If one needs to diet for weight, health or both, obviously what/how they were eating before wasn't working well.

Of course this is assuming that any new diet includes at least a few cookies. Or maybe pie.

Latest Discussions