Interesting theory on how the pyramids were build.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that was one of the questions not touched on.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always thought Hebrew slaves with flying saucers built them. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nah it was aliens with flying saucers that taught the Hebrew slaves how to levitate stones, move them, kick pharos butt, part the Red Sea and get outta Dodge....or Egypt...whatever the case may be

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:Triggers Egyptological Nonsense Shield:

There is so much speculation, elaboration and fabrication about the monumental structures of Egypt it is hard to know where to start! Even the 'official' history of the nation is at least partially a fantasy as two pharaohs have been eliminated from the records.

Altho' the amount of labour involved is high, there is nothing mysterious or impossible about the construction of largely solid pyramidal structures. Even the more elaborately engineered temple complexes do not require any unimaginable devices to make them. By far the simplest explanation as to how they were built is:

Rimmer: No, Lister, I mean like the pyramids. How did they move such massive pieces of stone without the aid of modern technology?
Lister: They had massive whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips.

Of course the truth is that the pyramids were a national undertaking for the reverence of the leaders that were considered divine. Slave labour was not used in their construction and it was an honour to be part of the labour force (with decent pay and conditions too). The expense involved was enormous by Egypt had the deep coffers required for such projects back then.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been inclined to the "Brute force" solution to the pyramid question. Slaves, rollers and whips.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've always been inclined to the "Brute force" solution to the pyramid question. Slaves, rollers and whips.

I use to as well and I still have no doubt Brute force played a major roll and to some extent slaves but based on some of the archeological evidence of workers villages that has been found near the pyramids I am not so sure that "civil service" and or a "required service" much like some countries require military service today was not a rather large part of it.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or you could listen to the one amongst you who knows the subject? :angel:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:Triggers Egyptological Nonsense Shield:

There is so much speculation, elaboration and fabrication about the monumental structures of Egypt it is hard to know where to start! Even the 'official' history of the nation is at least partially a fantasy as two pharaohs have been eliminated from the records.

Altho' the amount of labour involved is high, there is nothing mysterious or impossible about the construction of largely solid pyramidal structures. Even the more elaborately engineered temple complexes do not require any unimaginable devices to make them. By far the simplest explanation as to how they were built is:

Rimmer: No, Lister, I mean like the pyramids. How did they move such massive pieces of stone without the aid of modern technology?
Lister: They had massive whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips.

Of course the truth is that the pyramids were a national undertaking for the reverence of the leaders that were considered divine. Slave labour was not used in their construction and it was an honour to be part of the labour force (with decent pay and conditions too). The expense involved was enormous by Egypt had the deep coffers required for such projects back then.

I don't see this theory (and it is just a theory) of internal tunnels as being another "elaboration and fabrication", It is, IMO, plausible. However it does lack proof based on evidence and there would need to be some excavation of the pyramid itself to find such evidence. At lest with this theory, with a little "physical" work, there is a possibility of proving or disproving it...unlike the alien levitation bits which to me is more comic relief than an actual theory

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To date, there is no archaeological evidence for the 'internal tunnels' concept and it is not something that has made much of an impact in the world that real historians and archaeologists inhabit (as opposed to the world that failed architects making a bit of money with left-field-ideas inhabit :p).

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are of course assuming there is only one that knows :angel:

Do not challenge me, human :eyes glow: {I wanted to put a clip of Apophis here but couldn't find one that was just an eye-glow moment :()}.

Of course, I do have to hold my hand up and admit that I've been an engineer for the past seventeen years so my yes-I-am-a-real-historian credentials are a little dusty now :eek:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To date, there is no archaeological evidence for the 'internal tunnels' concept and it is not something that has made much of an impact in the world that real historians and archaeologists inhabit (as opposed to the world that failed architects making a bit of money with left-field-ideas inhabit :p).

To date you are right...and I never said it was real....I said it was not an "elaboration and fabrication"...it was at least plausible and it lacked proof.....do I believe it...no....but it is plausible....but since I am getting the feeling form your last two post that you are saying "please be quiet when those with superior knowledge is talking" I shall bow to your superior intellect and leave the conversation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do not challenge me, human :eyes glow:.

Of course, I do have to hold my hand up and admit that I've been an engineer for the past seventeen years so my yes-I-am-a-real-historian credentials are a little dusty now :eek:.

Perish the thought o mighty Egyptologist.....it was not a challenge....it was a discussion.....sorry if I offended your mighty intellect with my lowly knowledge...you have a nice day....I am done

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fear not, it happens all the time - it's the curse of the medium to allow all sorts of misinterpretation of tone and meaning ... especially if you try to mix two tones at once :).

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose the internal tunnel is born from the heads of modern day people who could not imagine spending the day outside without A/C when the mercury surpasses 75 degrees, much less the 100s.
It does however not sound too much cooler to me. Then again, around here the heat, once it gets up there, never really subsides during the hot month, and small spaces tend to be stuffy more than anything.

As to labor force, putting the natives to work during time when there was no other work (or war) might have also served to preserve order. Idle hands are the devil's workshop after all. :)

Latest Discussions