Interesting quotes, any comments?

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

I have to say, despite what I said earlier. There is still good Kenpo and good Kenpoists out there. Just not as many as you would hope there would be.

True Gou so few. (at least it looks like it rhymes)

That is my disappointment. To see my best friend's art degenerate to TKD status. He made me promise too always "share what I know." and that's what I do. I'm not looking for anyone to beat my door down wanting to learn and with a kenpo school on every corner in LA that's not going to happen anyway. I'm not interested in that and actually reject more students than I accept to date.

And as always, if you are happy with the kenpo you study (no matter what it's called) keep doing it and enjoy. If you're not, don't blame the art. There's nothing wrong with Kenpo and Ed Parker had more knowledge then in all them books put together. Don't limit him to what you read or what your "teacher" taught you because there is so much more.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fact that Kenpo is the study of motion, that Mr. Kelly (and others) feel it would be best to further ones education in business, that a black belt is nothing compared to the abilities/knowledge of the individual and that Kenpo is centered on concepts rather than techniques....
Maybe it these do sound like something you said yourself: But they don't say anything that isn't already pretty much accepted in the Kenpo community at large.

What are you saying?
Do you feel that Mr. Plannas' statement validates the classification of Motion vs. Advanced Kenpo? Seems to me that his statement is much simpler than that... seems he is saying that Kenpo is the study of motion... not that there is something/anything 'higher' than that study.

Are you saying that Mr. Kelly was talking about going on to a Kenpo college? Seems to me he was talking about becoming an adept/professional teacher... and thus going from getting a Kenpo rank (BB) to going to an actual college to continue ones eduication...say, in small business.

Guess I don't see the connection you are making.
Your Brother
John

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me that so many people will work so hard for so long to obfuscate the obvious. But then, unlike some others, I've only been "at" the arts for about 40 years.

Sorry folks... No glory here. I'm not here to create strife, nor will I bother rebutting your rebuttals. I just kind of have to shake my head on occasion and giggle.

No personal offense is intended to you Brother John... You and I have spoken on several occasions in the past. But sometimes the responses that get posted here sound very much like they are coming from the Tower of Babel...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saintly Uncle Dan

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

The fact that Kenpo is the study of motion, that Mr. Kelly (and others) feel it would be best to further ones education in business, that a black belt is nothing compared to the abilities/knowledge of the individual and that Kenpo is centered on concepts rather than techniques....
Maybe it these do sound like something you said yourself: But they don't say anything that isn't already pretty much accepted in the Kenpo community at large.

What are you saying?
Do you feel that Mr. Plannas' statement validates the classification of Motion vs. Advanced Kenpo? Seems to me that his statement is much simpler than that... seems he is saying that Kenpo is the study of motion... not that there is something/anything 'higher' than that study.

Are you saying that Mr. Kelly was talking about going on to a Kenpo college? Seems to me he was talking about becoming an adept/professional teacher... and thus going from getting a Kenpo rank (BB) to going to an actual college to continue ones eduication...say, in small business.

Guess I don't see the connection you are making.
Your Brother
John

You would be surprized what is and is not accepted. The quotes speak for themselves, nothing more.

-30-

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan... thanks for the soft rebuttal.
Mr. Chapel....
I've been nasty to you in the past.
I'm sorry. As I said in the other, similar, thread.. I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker!
I should have voiced any such statements in private messaging really.
As we've both said before, it's ok to disagree, but being mature, civil and polite is much more becoming of Kenpoists.

Your Brother
John

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

And ironically, this is the issue I had when I was considering dealing witht the IKKA so long ago.......

Long ago, our school was IKKA. Even though we did not teach the current AK curriculum. SGM Parker new what John McSweeney was doing and that he was following his own path and teaching his own "hybrid" form of the system.

Unforunantly, the organization became more rigid in it's views of what should be taught. So we and Mr. McSweeney went independent.:idunno:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Dan... thanks for the soft rebuttal.
Mr. Chapel....
I've been nasty to you in the past.
I'm sorry. As I said in the other, similar, thread.. I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker!
I should have voiced any such statements in private messaging really.
As we've both said before, it's ok to disagree, but being mature, civil and polite is much more becoming of Kenpoists.

Your Brother
John

Thank you for your candor. It is no small thing and I do appreciate it very much. :asian:

Now would you please stop that little man from dancing, it's driving me crazy!!!!!!:cuss:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now would you please stop that little man from dancing, it's driving me crazy!!!!!!

Sorry sir...
that I cannot do.

GOTTA DANCE!!!
:ultracool
Actually, I can't dance worth a darn, so I am living vicariously through 'that little man'...

I call him George...

Your Brother (who knows that Disco died for a VERY good reason)
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife thinks it looks like George needs to pee real bad.

So maybe I will give him a potty break afterall.
I'll look for something else to spark contraversy and annoy the senses.

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $dancing_tux.gif
    $dancing_tux.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 128

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Sorry sir...
that I cannot do.

GOTTA DANCE!!!
:ultracool
Actually, I can't dance worth a darn, so I am living vicariously through 'that little man'...

I call him George...

Your Brother (who knows that Disco died for a VERY good reason)
John

OK, so the little man can dance......

But can he FIGHT??????

Les

J

jeffkyle

My wife thinks it looks like George needs to pee real bad.

So maybe I will give him a potty break afterall.
I'll look for something else to spark contraversy and annoy the senses.

Your Brother
John

That penguin may do just that very thing...but not as good as george though. ;)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now would you please stop that little man from dancing, it's driving me crazy!!!!!!

Hey, is it George's MOTION that irritates you???

((that's my early morning attempt at humor...))
:rolleyes:

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $kenpojsm.jpg
    $kenpojsm.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 125

Latest Discussions