Interested in learning more on Feng Shui.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thinking alot as of late on decluttering my life, and found a few books on Feng Shui. However, some of those books seem to contradict others, and none of my local stores have a large selection to compare side by side. So, as always, I used the net and found some information, but expert and experienced advice is always welcome.

Has anyone had experience with Feng Shui, and can you give some tips, advice and other guidance?

Right now, I'm looking for reliable web info and books to start my search, but of course won't reject an experienced voice.

:)

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only thing of interest that i came across where the Carlos Castaneda books. They do not mention Feng Shui, but they do refer to the telluric fields/lines on the Earth surface, on which Feng Shui is based... It is interesting since Carlos Casteneda is inspired by the Yaqui culture (Mexico). No way to know though what is real from what is fictional/esoteric.

Most of what i glanced at was nonsense material, such as put a mirror here and have a blue couch there.

At home, we do have a big Jong Qui (not sure of how to spell it) painting (a traditional character who enjoys slicing bad spirits) hung facing the entrance door (that is were you are supposed to hang it). Since we hung it there, no bad spirit have dared to come in.

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just kidding about the Jong Qui. It's a running gag at home: 'Wow, it works.'

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can understand your confusion over the seeming contradictions in feng shui. It stems from the many schools and the vast variety of techniques that they utilise.

Here is a list of the most popular techniques.

Bagua (relationship of the five phases or wuxing)
Five phases (wuxing relationships)
Xuan Kong (time and space methods)
Xuan Kong Fei Xing (Flying Stars methods of time and directions)
Xuan Kong Da Gua ("Secret Decree" or 64 gua relationships)
Xuan Kong Shui Fa (time and space water methods)
Zi Bai (Purple-White Flying Stars methods)
Ba Zhai (Eight Mansions)
San Yuan Dragon Gate Eight Formation
Major & Minor Wandering Stars
San He Luan Dou (24 Mountains, Mountain-Water relationships)
San He Shui Fa (water methods)
Qimen Dunjia (Eight Doors and Nine Stars methods)
Zi wei dou shu (Purple King, 24-star astrology)

Personally, I favour the bagua technique mainly because I am more familiar with the gua than anything else.

Have a look at the works of Lillian Too from Malaysia (there's a lot). She has a very good focus on home feng shui rather than business. I particularly recommend the following:

Applied Pa-kua and Lo Shu Feng Shui. Konsep Books (1996).
Practical Applications of Feng Shui (Feng Shui Series). Quiller (1998)
Applied Pa-Kua and Lo Shu Feng Shui: In Collaboration with Feng Shui Master Yap Cheng Hai. Lillian Too & Yap Cheng Hai. Oriental Publications (1998).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lisa: It’s just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

:D

I think that feng shui is more about organisation of the mind rather than aligning with the forces of the Earth. Its a system that gives you a ground point to get your mental systems organised.

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Have a look at the works of Lillian Too from Malaysia (there's a lot). She has a very good focus on home feng shui rather than business. I particularly recommend the following:

Applied Pa-kua and Lo Shu Feng Shui. Konsep Books (1996).
Practical Applications of Feng Shui (Feng Shui Series). Quiller (1998)
Applied Pa-Kua and Lo Shu Feng Shui: In Collaboration with Feng Shui Master Yap Cheng Hai. Lillian Too & Yap Cheng Hai. Oriental Publications (1998).

My mom went over to Malaysia to...I guess train under Lillian with a bunch of other people and my mom is now certified as a Feng Shui practitioner...or something like that.

Anyway, I would find books by Lillian and read 'em.

angrywhitepajamas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
there's a lot of common sense stuff in there too, like putting mirrors in above of doorways(like at atms), keep the landscaping trimmed to provide good energy flow (and keep clear fields of view as well as deny hiding places) keep weapon handles facing away from the doors when possible...

Latest Discussions