Integrate MA training into your daily life

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you walk, if you step in your

- left leg, you can throw a left circular punch (such as hook punch, hay-maker, uppercut, hammer fist, back fist, ...).
- right leg, you can throw a right circular punch.

When you walk, since your arms are not doing anything, why not just kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You legs take you from point A to point B. You arms work on circular punch. If you walk 10,000 steps, you have trained 10,000 circular punches. IMO, the circular punch is easier on your elbow joint than the straight punch if you repeat 10,000 punches non-stop.

Have you ever trained this way? Any comment?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do it all the time. That's how I practiced fan blocks and hand trapping. Also how i tightened up my jab/cross, and currently using it to practice the double knife patterns (using pens). The only issue is that I'm not getting the full power transfer, since I'm walking, but in terms of my hands getting used to it I find it very helpful.

Sometimes I get weird looks though, so I've learned not to do it around too many people.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My research building has a lot of concrete walls and metal doors, so im always practicing strikes around every corner :cool:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- left leg, you can throw a left circular punch (such as hook punch, hay-maker, uppercut, hammer fist, back fist, ...).

When you walk, since your arms are not doing anything, why not just kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You legs take you from point A to point B. You arms work on circular punch. If you walk 10,000 steps, you have trained 10,000 circular punches. IMO, the circular punch is easier on your elbow joint than the straight punch if you repeat 10,000 punches non-stop.

yes done that, you get strange looks, people cross the road to avoid you and there's a least a possibly of being arrested or detained under the mental health act

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like discretely banging my knuckles against the cinder block walls at work.

But I’m definitely going to try throwing punches as I walk next time I’m in Manhattan. I hate the crowds, so it’ll be both therapeutic and good MA practice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot of walking movement practice. I used to use blending movements to slip through doors, rather than opening them wide enough to step through. When I find a good, heavy door, I'll practice using weight-dropping to open it, instead of arm muscle. I routinely try to slip around corners, challenge my hand-eye coordination (which the Hobbit hates in the kitchen), open and close doors with my feet (using kicks, leg checks, etc.). I also challenge my balance a lot. I'm that adult who walks along the tops of low brick walls along the sidewalk. I also sometimes put on my shoes and socks while standing, balancing on one leg at a time (I can't do this as often any more - knee and toe issues have reduced my static balance control).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd love to do the 10,000 punch/step thing, but yeah most days I honestly can't help but do something. It's often very sporadic, like performing random blocking motions or just very specific moves in katas that pop into my head haha.

And of course kicks to open doors hehe, but these aren't necessarily training, just something I do as I love the movements.

Even just being aware of how I'm standing, where my weight is transferred, balance, posture throughout the day I guess is training

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The other thing I enjoy doing is footwork/ stance work when I walk. When I love to the side, do it as a slip, walk in halfmoon if people arent around, wait for someone in a cat stance, things like that. A lot of stances/footwork are subtler than handmotions, so it's easier to hide

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every time you pick something up, or put down, perform a squat instead of bending over, also I practice shoulder rolls whilst walking the dogs, yes I get strange looks, but I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is actually one of the useful concepts that I've maintained throughout the years that I originally got from reading Bruce Lee's book as a kid.

That is to say, training never ends. Standing around? Stand on one foot. Walking down the street? Visualize how others might attack you, and how you might respond. Waiting for a loading screen in your favourite PC game? Do ten pushups.

There doesn't need to be a set time for training.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but I don't care what anyone else thinks.
One day when my 73 years old teacher held on a small tree and did a human flag in the street of Taipei, Taiwan, I no longer care about how other people may think when I hang myself on the street sign pole. I may be able to collect some change if I put a basket next to me. :D

pole-hanging.png

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One day when my 73 years old teacher held on a small tree and did a human flag in the street of Taipei, Taiwan, I no longer care about how other people may think when I hang myself on the street sign pole. I may be able to collect some change if I put a basket next to me. :D

pole-hanging.png
Never thought of that. Taipan, I have heard a lot of old Chinese art masters now reside there, and you can find some really obscure Kung Fu styles there, some styles like white crane, is this correct?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time you pick something up, or put down, perform a squat instead of bending over, also I practice shoulder rolls whilst walking the dogs, yes I get strange looks, but I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Just fake tripping over the dog, or the leash. And cuss at the dog (mildly, and never say Bad Dog!).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Across the street from my previous office there was a covered walkway going to the capital, it was probably 1/4 mile long. I got in it one afternoon, back during my heavy Xingyi addiction days, and did the Xingyi 5 elements for the length of the walkway, it was during the workday and there was no one but me on the walkway. It was when I got to the capital I remembered that the State Police have cameras the most of the length of that walkway.

Actually after I thought of that I was rather surprised I was not meant at the door by a group of state police...if for no other reason than to point and laugh

This is pretty much what I did the length of the walkway

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Across the street from my previous office there was a covered walkway going to the capital, it was probably 1/4 mile long. I got in it one afternoon, back during my heavy Xingyi addiction days, and did the Xingyi 5 elements for the length of the walkway, it was during the workday and there was no one but me on the walkway. It was when I got to the capital I remembered that the State Police have cameras the most of the length of that walkway.

Actually after I thought of that I was rather surprised I was not meant at the door by a group of state police...if for no other reason than to point and laugh

If I was a policeman in your neck of the woods, I wouldn't of approached you either, I may have called sammo hung,.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never thought of that. Taipan, I have heard a lot of old Chinese art masters now reside there, and you can find some really obscure Kung Fu styles there, some styles like white crane, is this correct?
Yes! There are a lot of white crane guys in Taiwan.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have drilled 1,000 Xing Yi Pi Quan non-stop within 45 minutes. It's good training. But no matter how much that I have trained the Xiny Yi Pi Quan, because I don't use it in sparring, I still think the Xing Yi Pi is not my. When I drill right kick, right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook, I feel that I'm training for myself because I can use it in my sparring the day after.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have drilled 1,000 Xing Yi Pi Quan non-stop within 45 minutes. It's good training. But no matter how much that I have trained the Xiny Yi Pi Quan, because I don't use it in sparring, I still think the Xing Yi Pi is not my. When I drill right kick, right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook, I feel that I'm training for myself because I can use it in my sparring the day after.

When I first started training Xingyiquan I was also a member of a sparring group of marital artist that was made up from various styles. I was sparing a rather good Southern Mantis guy and I used Piquan and it knocked him down. Sadly I was so surprised and happy that it worked so well that I hesitated, thinking to myself, how cool was that. Then he popped back up like a weeble and beat the living daylights out of me, it was one of the coolest beating I ever took sparing.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I walk, I like to throw "1 step 4 hook punches".

- The 1st and 2nd hook punch can be used for defense (deflect opponent's jab and cross).
- The 3rd and 4th hook punch can be used for offense (take the control back in case opponent attacks first).

This way if I walk 2,000 steps, I'll drill 8,000 hook punches (2,000 steps = 1 mile). I have trained 1,000 hook punches non-stop. I have not trained 8,000 hook punches non-stop yet.

Last edited:

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
Martial D, you beat me to it. I find myself war-gaming as I walk down the street.

If that guy comes at me with this, then I do that.

It can also be very useful here in Baltimore.

Latest Discussions