instructing the blind

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if you're looking for specific ideas, I have some suggestions of exercises we do in class:

Sticky hands - two people face each other in a fighting stance, foot to foot, with their lead hands touching back to back. One person leads and the other follows; the lead person moves his/her hand randomly, and, at random intervals, attempts to touch the following person with the lead hand, while the following person attempts to block. This is a great drill for all students - it teaches them relaxation under stress and reaction time. Variations include using the other hand or both hands; other variations appear as I see things my students need to work on.

Duck, duck, goose variations - students form a circle and sit down on the floor. One person walks around and/or through the circle, attempting to touch a person on the floor without the person catching them. Students who think the person standing up is about to touch them raise their hands; if a student is touched without raising his/her hand, s/he has to go to the middle of the circle and sit there until a second person is caught. This is an awareness drill, and very good for sparring awareness.

Snap drills - usually done in pairs, standing face to face with your partner one person (attacker) closes his/her eyes, while the other person (target) snaps or claps so that the attacker can hear clearly, leaving the hand in place as a target. The attacker tries to hit the target by sound; if the attacker misses, the target provides feedback to help the target zero in on the sound. NOTE: if the target is going to snap or clap directly in front of him/herself - BACK UP. Variations include multiple targets, louder or quieter snaps/claps, level of background noise, etc.

I would be interested in hearing more about what you do with this student - it seems to me that anything you come up with for her could be very useful for sighted students as well.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor had a blind student (whom I've only seen at a couple of tests), whom he taught privately because she couldn't attend at regular class times. What I've seen is she did the forms quite well, with the exception of being slightly off. She still did the kicks, strikes, and blocks very well. When it came to sparring/ 3- steps (for us), she did self defense which included some sticky hands. It was really cool to watch her!

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Once upon a time we used to do an energy drill Where two or more people squared off to the front and we closed our eyes while the feeder/s tried to slowly pass into the applicants upper body region enough to touch them at a random spot. The idea was to feel the energy, warmth, presence, etc.. enough to intercept the appendage with deliberation, not force. Was kinda fun...

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ArmorofGod thank you for those links

I have used a touch drill where the student (#A ) must stay in contact with the student in front of them as "a" moves and weaves around the room. If the student is sighted they must have their eyes closed tight during the exercise. I will vary it by having "a" throw a slow punch at times.
I also do a version of sticky hands but have not yet tried it with this student.
Also I have use the 3 count drill of Modern Arnis but and she is adapting to it well so far

Latest Discussions