Inside Kung Fu Mag.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess the question that needs to be answered is...
What is the trend in annual subscriptions for Inside Kung fu magazine?
If their subcription base is decreasing then you are all right on the money here.... If they are increasing their base, then what would you have them do?

Change the name to Inside MMA Magazine. If I'm interested in MMA and buy a magazine called Inside MMA, and then the content is geared towards Kung Fu, I might get a little miffed.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I had not buried my old back issues so I could post one of their past asinine articles called Sex and the Martial Arts...You all would throw up in your mouths..

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Change the name to Inside MMA Magazine. If I'm interested in MMA and buy a magazine called Inside MMA, and then the content is geared towards Kung Fu, I might get a little miffed.

Fair enough, but how many kung fu studios have added in some aspects of MMA to supplement their training, or even draw in new customers?
I know of quite a few, so is it a problem with the magazines integrity, or is it a symptom of a bigger issue?

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah next thing we know there will be Ninja magazines again lol Wait I loved those and have them all I must be crazy hehe

I used to get that magazine. That was back in the day. You can get them on e-bay believe it or not. Remember when they would have articles on the ninja summit?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fair enough, but how many kung fu studios have added in some aspects of MMA to supplement their training, or even draw in new customers?
I know of quite a few,

Hmmmm....that's interesting. I don't know of any. I don't doubt they are some out there, but the traditional kung fu schools I know of have not adopted any MMA aspects.

so is it a problem with the magazines integrity, or is it a symptom of a bigger issue?

Good question. I don't know.

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know of quite a few, so is it a problem with the magazines integrity, or is it a symptom of a bigger issue?

I know of only one school that has both mma and kung fu. If a kung fu school teaches traditional kung fu and is of quality instruction then it shouldn't have to resort to teaching mma. There are plenty of techniques within kung fu to deal with grapplers. No need for kung fu schools to jump on the mma bandwagon unless they truely like grappling. But to teach it because you think kung fu isn't effective against grapplers then maybe you don't know real kung fu. That last comment was not intended towards anyone specific (luckyboxer), just in general.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know of only one school that has both mma and kung fu. If a kung fu school teaches traditional kung fu and is of quality instruction then it shouldn't have to resort to teaching mma. There are plenty of techniques within kung fu to deal with grapplers. No need for kung fu schools to jump on the mma bandwagon unless they truely like grappling. But to teach it because you think kung fu isn't effective against grapplers then maybe you don't know real kung fu. That last comment was not intended towards anyone specific (luckyboxer), just in general.

Right... which is why you fly a Gracie Barra logo as your avatar & list BJJ in stuff you've studied... ;)

BTW... are you cutting GBBJJ their check for using the logo? If not, don't let 'em catch you...

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score

Right... which is why you fly a Gracie Barra logo as your avatar & list BJJ in stuff you've studied... ;)

BTW... are you cutting GBBJJ their check for using the logo? If not, don't let 'em catch you...

Well, it appears that you need to take some reading comprehension classes.....read the underlined part of my post above. I like grappling. I'm just making a point that if you don't grapple kung fu has more than enough techniques to deal with a grapple. I never said I didn't do any type grappling did I?

As for your comment about the avitar and did I get permission to use it the answer is that my bjj teacher is certified under gbbjj so in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that gives me the right to use it. He is the only black belt in Ky under gbbjj. So

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score

Well, it appears that you need to take some reading comprehension classes.....read the underlined part of my post above. I like grappling. I'm just making a point that if you don't grapple kung fu has more than enough techniques to deal with a grapple. I never said I didn't do any type grappling did I?

As for your comment about the avitar and did I get permission to use it the answer is that my bjj teacher is certified under gbbjj so in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that gives me the right to use it. He is the only black belt in Ky under gbbjj. So do you have any other questions? :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Why would I take a class I can teach? Reading comprehension that is...

As far as the content of the post, if you can't see it for a ball buster based on your quotes, you may want to consider the class instead. I hear there at Kentucky to make it fair for everybody, you can color outside of the lines & not get in trouble...

As for your comment about the avitar and did I get permission to use it the answer is that my bjj teacher is certified under gbbjj so in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that gives me the right to use it. He is the only black belt in Ky under gbbjj. So

Well your opinion & Gracie family attorneys may not see eye to eye on that... just FYI ...

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hardly think that they are going to give a rats *** about little ole' me using a logo of theirs when my bjj teacher is a rep for them. When they come say something to me then I will remove it. On a side not what the hell do you care?

The comment on Ky, was that supposed to be a slam (insult) on KY? Do you think you are better than someone from Ky because your from where ever it is your from?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we're all frustrated when we put our hard earned money down for a magazine (or worse, a subscription) and it's more ads than substance, and the substance ain't much either.

But it's not going to help the discussion at all if we resort to things like personal attacks on each other. Maybe we can stay on topic, and discuss the magazine in question, instead of each other?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hardly think that they are going to give a rats *** about little ole' me using a logo of theirs when my bjj teacher is a rep for them. When they come say something to me then I will remove it. On a side not what the hell do you care?

On a side... I don't care. But if you're not up for some neighborly advice... whatever & enjoy. When the lawyers with the SoCal tan & funny accent call though... don't say you didn't know.

The comment on Ky, was that supposed to be a slam (insult) on KY? Do you think you are better than someone from Ky because your from where ever it is your from?

No actually... again if you'd read, not just look at the sqiggly lines on the screen... you'd figure out there's a large college there in Lextown named Kentucky. But I guess that one blew past you as well...

But just to clue you in on my thoughts on Ky...

• One of my best CLF classmates is from Lextown
  • The same classmate is at Stanford all expenses paid by the school
  • My lawyer is from Lextown
  • One of my best friends is a self professed hillbilly from Coal Country
The list goes on & on... so for me to insult the denizens of Ky... I'd have to insult way higher cotton folks than just you. :p

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to get that magazine. That was back in the day. You can get them on e-bay believe it or not. Remember when they would have articles on the ninja summit?

Yup, ya could not pick up an issue with an article or two on the Ninja-mania craze...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71377. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-jks9199
-MT Moderator-

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there...it's not just MA mags that have this problem...

I subscribe to Guitar World Magizine. It was a subscription to GuitarOne, because they had more instructional videos and more equipment reviews, but Guitarworld bougt them out...

Anyway, there are far more ads in that magizine than there used to be...luckily, they haven't outnumbered the articles...yet. But it's become more about the sponsers over the years than it has become about the content..

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there...it's not just MA mags that have this problem...

I subscribe to Guitar World Magizine. It was a subscription to GuitarOne, because they had more instructional videos and more equipment reviews, but Guitarworld bougt them out...

Anyway, there are far more ads in that magizine than there used to be...luckily, they haven't outnumbered the articles...yet. But it's become more about the sponsers over the years than it has become about the content..

It's everywhere, Brandon. Skiing mags have been getting more that way since the 70s, and it's probably the same with the running mags and the knitting mags and who knows what else. I don't remember when I twigged to the fact that magazine are nothing more, anymore, than delivery vehicles for advertising, in the same way that cigarettes are delivery vehicles for nicotine. But where it really, really jumps out at the page at you is in the 'lifestyle' magazines, like the wine periodicals. I got my hands on the latest copy of Quarterly Review of Wine a few years ago, just looking to spend a few happy hours in guided wishful thinking—$800/bottle Burgundies, anyone?—when I began to realize that virtual every large advert in the issue was being mirrored (in a kind of 'funhouse' mirror) by the critical reviews and column essays. And all of the reviews were over the top. It was so bloody obvous. How can they get away with this crap, I wondered then; but obviously they've been able to. I did the same thing with a few issues of Black Belt and TKD Times after that... you'll be amazed to learn that they were doing exactly the same thing :shrug:. TKD T actually has a reputation for straightforward shakedown techniques: chuck $10K our way and you get one of the feature articles devoted to you. $20K gets you on the cover$. That sort of thing...

I just wonder for how much longer it's going to be possible to work that way, though. As I said earlier, I think the Internet is going to put paid to a lot of that kind of payola arrangement, and not just in the wine trade. Another factor is that most people find, after a while, that the accumulation of hard copy gets them to the point where they need to build an addition to their houses just to store the last 10 years of Golf Digest or Fly Fishing or whatever their particular mania leads them to buy.... magazines not only cost, but take up space, far more than their content merits. Score one more for the internet in that respect as well.

Latest Discussions