Kung Fu for the ring

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about your thoughts for Kung Fu in combat sports. Kung Fu has been in many different combat sports including Kickboxing, San Shou/Sanda, and MMA.

Sami Berik - A Wing Chun/Taijiquan practioner who has competed and won in Sanshou, Kickboxing, and now competes in MMA. Even with a record of 9-18, he is respected for being one of the few Kung Fu guys to get into the cage.

Jason Delucia - A 5 Animals Kung Fu/Aikido practioner who fought in the earlier UFC's. Mostly known for his 2 losses to Royce Gracie, he decided to learn grappling, but add his Kung Fu principles to it. He known has a record of 33-20-1.

Cung Le - A Sanshou kickboxer with an undefeated pro Sanshou record, winner of the Shidokan tournament, as well as the Art of War champion, and also now the champion of Strikeforce's Middleweight MMA with a record of 3-0. Almost all of his matches are exciting. With crisp, clean, strong striking and great takedowns, he'll make it great in the sport.

Those are just a few Kung Fu guys competeing in MMA/Sanshou/ect. Do you ever plan to compete? Where does Kung Fu compete best in?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sami 'The Hun' Berik's fighting abilities are never in doubt it's more his choice of opponents that's a bit iffy! He has taken fights against far more experienced oppoents than himself much to many of us's frustration!. However he has beaten some good fighters. His record is 10-18 now. He's a great guy, very popular and you should really have a look at his website designed by his brother, it also gives his background.

.http://www.samiberik.com/

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sami Berik is fighting on Saturday 1st September on our show, just been told. We had a lot of drop outs and Sami has said he'll fight. A really good guy to take a fight at this notice, can't wait now!

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just saw last Saturday night, at a WBC Fight Night, a State Title (Western Australian) go to a Kung Fu stylist. Mind you he was trained in Muay Thai as well. But Choy Lay Fut was his base style. And it showed. He kicked some serious *** in the ring, and his opponent was a very traditional Muay Thai fighter. He's got potential hey. It was actually a fresh change to watch this guy in the ring- he had very tricky and very strong hands.

I think it would be good for the image of Kung Fu to pit there best in the ring, in a combat sport way. Whether it be in MMA, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, San Shou or even their own tournaments. It is a chance to showcase the skills of Kung Fu stylists in a ring, under pressure with full contact. I reckon you'd see some exciting fights.

That was my reason for leaving Kung Fu. Well one of them. I want to compete, and was interested in Muay Thai for a while. So I made the change. Maybe if Kung Fu had the level of competition of Muay Thai in the world, then I may still be learning Southern Mantis!!!

Latest Discussions