Injured & frustrated

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope that you are able to eventually get back to full use of your leg.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just dropped in to check on how you're doing. Sorry they didn't have better news for you after the cast. Just keep moving forward and 40 is not old (one of our top guys in ITA is mid 50's and still going strong!).

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just dropped in to check on how you're doing. Sorry they didn't have better news for you after the cast. Just keep moving forward and 40 is not old (one of our top guys in ITA is mid 50's and still going strong!).
Hey, mid 50's is not old, either. :wink2: Well, maybe for the first 30 minutes in the morning... :yoda:But I've found that whenever I start to think of using age as a reason to slow down, there's always someone older practicing the arts--and doing it well. :headbangin:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel you on this one Iceman. I sparred last Wednesday and received a wicked sidekick to my ribs which left a nice contusion and hairline fracture. However, to add insult to injury Saturday I was back in the emergency room. Apparently it caused a small pnemothorax (collapsed lung) as well. Now I am out of everything for a few weeks at least. It is hard to take regular to deep breaths without my pain killers for the time being. I just walked a 1/2 mile to work and feels like I was kicked all over again.

I have to have my senior student demonstrate the lessons that I am teaching in the sword class becuase it is hard for me to lift above my head...that and the doctor told me not to strain myself. I hate getting old.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the colapse lung miguksaram, this will sideline you for a couple of weeks.

Iceman have you heard anything else?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the colapse lung miguksaram, this will sideline you for a couple of weeks.

I too am sorry to hear about your injury! Speedy recovery.

Iceman have you heard anything else?

My doctor put me in a plastic cast last week to keep it as immobile as possible for 3 weeks. I go back to see him November 19th. Hopefully, it will ease the knot in my calf & loosen my ankle flexion: so I won't need surgery.

When I teach, I try like crazy to not demonstrate kicks...but it's not easy! I really do appreciate all the support & encouragement I receive from all of you folks. You guys understand what it means to not be able to train. I'm glad I'm not alone.:asian:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It beats the alternative!!!

Getting older means you fight more with the head and less with the body. So you cannot run and jump with the rest of them (join the club) but you still have forms and step sparring you can practice.

Well if I was doing that, I wouldn't have stepped into the ring with the kid in the first place. ha.ha.ha. Yes, I know I have other things I can do, once I heal up that is. After 28 years, this is the worst injury I have ever sustained in the martial arts so, you know...it's not all bad. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My doctor put me in a plastic cast last week to keep it as immobile as possible for 3 weeks. I go back to see him November 19th. Hopefully, it will ease the knot in my calf & loosen my ankle flexion: so I won't need surgery.

When I teach, I try like crazy to not demonstrate kicks...but it's not easy! I really do appreciate all the support & encouragement I receive from all of you folks. You guys understand what it means to not be able to train. I'm glad I'm not alone.:asian:

I've had that problem myself - let your students demonstrate; it will make them feel good when you choose them to demonstrate for you.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had that problem myself - let your students demonstrate; it will make them feel good when you choose them to demonstrate for you.

Good thought. Thanks! I'll try:ultracool

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey my friend, Those chronic injuries can get you down. I did not read all the posts so I may say something that has been covered.

I have had sucess with active release therapy which rids that affected area of scar tissue. Perhaps a combo of Physio and this technique might help, providing they know where to concentrate their efforts.

The active release will help get new blood to the area and help it heal as I understand scar tissue prevents this.

Just another thing to look into, hope it is of some help. Don't let it get you down, you will be back.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey my friend, Those chronic injuries can get you down. I did not read all the posts so I may say something that has been covered.

I have had sucess with active release therapy which rids that affected area of scar tissue. Perhaps a combo of Physio and this technique might help, providing they know where to concentrate their efforts.

The active release will help get new blood to the area and help it heal as I understand scar tissue prevents this.

Just another thing to look into, hope it is of some help. Don't let it get you down, you will be back.

Thanks Master Wright!

I've been exposed to active release a bit thru my chiropractor, but not to much. I will certainly seek it out if things at UCLA do not solve the issue.

I go back to see them on November 19th.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first began my martial arts journey, one of my instructors had recently lost the use of his arm. He was often seen in the school, but usually not in uniform and he wasn't seen on the mat at all.

One day, in the middle of the class, the person teaching said we would divide up to work on forms. Then, in a loud, confident voice, my instructor walked on the mat, in full uniform, and explained how the class was going to be divided and which forms were going to be practiced.

For a split second, it was so quiet that you could have heard a pin drop. But only for a split second...because then the room was filled with a chorus of "Yes sirs" and the sounds of students hurrying to their group's section of the mat.

My instructor often had students demonstrating for him. (The other instructors did too, for that matter). I never saw this as taking anything away from their teaching ability...and I learned a heckuva lot about perseverance.

Hang in there my friend. Lots of prayers going out to you...from me and folks you may not even know. :asian:

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first began my martial arts journey, one of my instructors had recently lost the use of his arm. He was often seen in the school, but usually not in uniform and he wasn't seen on the mat at all.

One day, in the middle of the class, the person teaching said we would divide up to work on forms. Then, in a loud, confident voice, my instructor walked on the mat, in full uniform, and explained how the class was going to be divided and which forms were going to be practiced.

For a split second, it was so quiet that you could have heard a pin drop. But only for a split second...because then the room was filled with a chorus of "Yes sirs" and the sounds of students hurrying to their group's section of the mat.

My instructor often had students demonstrating for him. (The other instructors did too, for that matter). I never saw this as taking anything away from their teaching ability...and I learned a heckuva lot about perseverance.

Hang in there my friend. Lots of prayers going out to you...from me and folks you may not even know. :asian:

I appreciate your encouragement a great deal, Carol! I'm working hard on teach by using words more. I would love to use students to demonstrate more often. But my highest ranked student is a 12 year old green belt. Although he is quite good, it's not always the ideal situation. I'm still working on it.

Hopefully, I'll find out on Wednesday that my calf muscle has repaired itself, that I will no longer need the cast on my leg, & that I won't need surgery. Prayers are much appreciated!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I just got back from the doctor. He said he wants me to wear the plastic cast for another few weeks. Then take it off for 2 hours a day & see how that goes. I'll gradually increase the time I'm without it. He said I definitely tore the muscle. He could still feel the "knot" of muscle where it was damaged. I go back in early January for the next visit.

I feel great that they have a plan & actually care about my health. I'm not looking forward to wearing this plastic cast for longer, but I'm fine with it if it works & keeps me from having surgery.

Thanks again for your prayers & support!

Latest Discussions