Indian martial arts?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of an art called "Varmannie"? It comes from India I believe.

I've looked on the web for information and found pretty much nothing.

Also, found this reference, anyone familiar with it?
Khalsa, Nank Dev Singh (1991) Gatka: As Taught by Nanak Dev Singh Khasla,
bk.1. Dance of the Sword: Beginner Levels I, II & II, 2nd ed, Amsterdam.
GT International.

:asian:

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not too much info out there on the subject at the moment. Pretty much all that can be found on the net is a few profiles of Proffessor Florendo M. Visitacion ("proffessor Vee")
http://www.center4survival.com/professo.htm
http://www.veearnisjitsu-ne.com/professors.htm

I have not been able to locate anyone in the US that teaches/practices Varmannie in a pure form. Everybody I have contacted thus far on the subject practices Veearnisjitsu (Varmannie, Arnis, Ju-Jitsu), which is the system created by Proffessor Vee.

I originally thought Varmannie was another form of Velakali... but from what I understand now, Vermannie focuses on open-hand technique while Velakali is mostly sword & foot movement.

There was an article in the New Yorker Magazine in 1953 (or late '52) that focused on Varmannie. It may be possible to contact the magazine directly to track down the article.

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok...to the best of anyone's knowledge, there are only 2 living instructors of Varmannie in the US at the moment... Kyoshi Jonathan Maberry and Professor Ronald Duncan... neither one teaches the system reguarly, according to Mr. Maberry.
There is a book available, written by Mr. Maberry, called "Ultimate Sparring Principles and Practices"... from Strider Nolan Publishers.. its available on Amazon.com. It covers Varmannie extensivly. Mr. Maberry and Mr. Duncan will be writting another book on the subject in late 2004.

G

gravity

Varmannie

I think thats a sort of Indian wrestling. I don't think its very common in India, maybe in the country and rural areas .....I don't think there is much submission either, mainly pinning and gaining a superior position (from my vague understanding)

Latest Discussions