Independent Ninja Documentary

S

slarnell

Small Town Talent Producing Independent Ninja Documentary
A small town independent film group is currently producing a documentary ninja film to be released in 2004.

LEXINGTON, KY (PRWEB) June 24, 2004 -- A small town independent film group is currently producing a documentary film to be released in 2004. Cubit Productions has teamed with documentary filmmaker, Stephen Larnell, to produce a satiric film exploring the growing popularity of after hours’ martial arts classes in America. “Beneath the Mask: Portrait of an American Ninja” was shot last year on location in Dillan, Nebraska and is currently in post-production editing in Lexington, Kentucky.

“Beneath the Mask” focuses on a six-week period of the life of native Dillanite Mark Rotane. The film documents Mark’s experiences as he enrolls and progresses through evening martial arts classes. Through interviews with Mark, along with his friends, family, and classmates, Stephen Larnell presents a jarring examination of our hopes and dreams, and the successes and failures we encounter while striving to reach them.

“Although the film has an inane comedic appearance, ‘Beneath the Mask’ does attempt to explore deeper facets of the human condition,” explains producer Ben Sledge. “One of the central aspects of the movie is the unveiling of the cyclical nature we continuously loop through in our quests to ‘better’ ourselves. We are quick to get excited about a new diet or exercise routine, but lose that enthusiasm and determination when novelty wears thin. Life is made up of these small battles we constantly wage against ourselves. The question being resolved in this film, is the same question that lies before us all: will we stay the course and prevail, or will we fail miserably and be left picking up the pieces?”

“Beneath the Mask” will be released locally in Lexington, and distributed online, in 2004. More information on the filmmaker and the project can be found on the film’s website: http://films.cubit.net/hiyah

OP
H

Hanzo04

i went ot the website and it is garbage! this is exactly the plublicity the ninjutsu doesn't need. they are still living in the 80's with the ninja craze. i don't like it.it's like a joke to them-something to play around with.

OP
H

Hanzo04

the way they presented the opening of the trailer gives you the impression that they are serious, so i stick to my statement.

OP
E

Elizium

This was discussed on e-budo some time ago. It is just someone that is making money from the word ninja.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I thought the trailer was pretty damn funny. :boing2:

OP
H

Hanzo04

oh that was hilarious especially when he tried to break the cinder block! hahahahaha! it still made me though. but waht can you do?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
although comical... i thought it was stupid. it makes us all look bad when someone portrays a "ninja" (eating spagetti) and is a fat slob. second this will just enhance the stereo-typical thought everyone has that real ninjitsu/utsu doesn't exist. (i.e. real power.com crap) why would anyone waste time filming that? too bad some will think its true. :mad: well thats what i think anyway.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you saying that a fat person who eats spagetti can't be a "ninja" or study the related arts?
I realise you didn't say that but not all who study any style are perfect specimens. And what would be more in the tradition of fooling your enemy than someone who seems out of shape, or verry old and mentaly slow.
I think the show was not made in the best intrest of those that study the art but it was not beliveable in places also.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Are you saying that a fat person who eats spagetti can't be a "ninja" or study the related arts?
I realise you didn't say that but not all who study any style are perfect specimens. And what would be more in the tradition of fooling your enemy than someone who seems out of shape, or verry old and mentaly slow.
I think the show was not made in the best intrest of those that study the art but it was not beliveable in places also.
i guess your right the majority of people nowadays are obese so i guess one would have to gain weight to fit in and be invisable. hee hee! all i'm saying is i believe one should be fit to show himself balanced and healthy as a warrior and a human. what good does it to know all the history of any art and to proclaim you know it all but die of a heart attack a yr. later at 40 yrs old because of clogged arteries? imo

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jay Bell said:
Uhm...it's a parody...and should be taken as such. I thought it was damn funny.

Same here. The question is, was it supposed to be a parody site or a parody documentary? The ads and such seem to be legit and pass you off to sites about documentaries. Is the site itself supposed to be a parody of a movie that is never to come out, or is it a site for a movie like "This is Spinal Tap"? I have seen parodies of ninjutsu like Realultimatepower.org, and I have seen even funnier sites that were ment to be totally serious. It is hard to tell now days.