another pointless question?

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Elizium said:
How many keep a training diary?

I do. I like to keep track on what I was taught and what I worked on myself.

I also keep a record of who I teach and what they worked on. It's not too detailed, like which kata they were working on, but more like which curriculum they were working on and what kyu/dan. If it was detailed, I would be writing a book, which I did at first. :)

One thing I do use, instead of a notebook or journal, is Excel (MS Office). I can filter the spreadsheet on a certain student, on his attendance, how many times he worked on a peticular curriculum, ect.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ever heard of Lloyd Irvin. he is one of the greatest grapplers. but on top of that, he attained his Black belt in Judo in 2 years, and his BB in BJJ in 5 years. around half the time on each art. he did so because he would keep a diary. after practice, he would write down the stuff that he needed to work on, and stuff he did well.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't write down EVERY class, but I definitely keep note of the highlights and of new material and also anything new or variations I learn at seminars. These notebooks of mine that I've kept over the years have proven their worth to me over and over again- I have had to refer to them numerous times over the years when instructors have left and the art wasn't available or when I have had to quit training for awhile and have become rusty on material or forgotten some stuff altogether.

:asian: :karate:

OP
R

ronhughen

Diaries are good . . . but I don't dwell too much on the past . . . that's why I cut my hair short . . . hair is a reflection of hangning on to the past . . .

hahahahahahaahahahahahhhahaaahaaaaaaaaha!!!!!!!!!

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Training Journals are a fantastic way to add to your training!! First it gives you a reference to where you have been, and sets a guide as to where you are going! All Olympic or Elite athletes have training logs t measure their progress. I have journals that go back to 1978, and references to workouts in 74 - 75. I look back and see how far I have progressed since those days.
I have an article on my website (www.Bujinkandojo.net) that covers setting up a training journal [Starting a Training Journal] .

I would suggest starting this process and keep it going throughout your lifetime.

Train Hard it is the Way!

Steve Lefebvre, Airyu

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Latest Discussions