Increasing adult enrollment

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old mens club comments are typical of the reasons cited by many women as to why they don't do martial arts even though they'd like to try. It's perceived to be male orientated and they'd feel alienated if not bullied if they joined a class. those women who are involved in martial arts know it's not true (well I hope it's not!) but we have to work hard to overcome the perception.
Getting more women involved is worthwhile for many reasons.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking at it from the inside (as an adult student), I see a couple of useful bricks to build with.
1. Getting a small core of committed and somewhat athletic adults helps others see what is possible. Not athletic superstars but active adults who like to work hard and commit to growth with enthusiasm. Those people add a positive energy that you can build on. They must be people who welcome others with a smile.
2. The first recruiting base is the parents of your kid students. More of our parents have joined since a couple of us 'reasonably athletic' positive adults have jumped in with both feet. We're the recruiting tool. And the bigger our group becomes, the more we attract. Not completely sure, but I think what pulls people in is exercise that is demanding but achievable with a positive social structure. Our group is welcoming and encouraging to all (one guy with a prosthetic leg, a significantly older person, and several working with health issues, along with younger single mothers and moms who are 20 years removed from their last athletic endeavors). If you can build this in ones and twos, you can get a core group that can springboard your advertising. It is vital that you have at least one positive and committed woman in this group, as she will draw others.
3. As the student in this picture, I won't pretend to be the expert on class content. I don't think it matters as much as making sure the level of difficulty and exertion is matched to the students. At the school I attend, the adult-only class follows the advanced class.

Hope this helps, Terry.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions