Oldie Newbie advice...

NCPACKFAN

White Belt
Reaction score
Good evening all! I have been around reading for a while and finally decided to register, post, and participate this afternoon... so "Hello" and here goes...

Deciding to enroll both my wife (28) and I (26) in a TKD school, I began looking a couple of weeks ago for one that fit certain criteria: close, decent cost (it's sad that in this economy this really is a bigger weight than it should be), solid curriculum, well rounded/experienced instructors, and a good mix of kids and adults so I could train with folks that are older than 15 on an at least minimal basis. I finally found one and think it will be a good fit. I am going to enroll us and start next week.

Here is where my question lies... I took TKD from age 8-14 (I think, could have been 13). I attained what my instructor called then a JR blackbelt (I think most folks call it Poom.) Upon telling the school we talked about a good starting place, but since I don't remember much except basic fundamentals, not even the poomse's. I told them I wanted to start at the bottom just like everyone else and re-learn everything from the ground up. I was wondering whether anyone else had been gone from TKD this long or known someone in a similar positon b/c I want to know whether you all think I will pick it all back up at a much higher rate then what other actual begginers would or not. I feel like I would, b/c as I watch, it is all starting to come back to me. Obviously technique and flexibility type things aren't going to just be "re-remembered", but a lot of the other stuff is really coming back.

This is a long post I apologize, but I have one other question: When I trained years ago, I went through this cycle... Wh, Wh stripe, Yel, Yel stripe, Gr, Gr stripe, Bl, Bl stripe, Rd, Rd stripe, Blk. At this dojang I am about to enroll in, they throw in a brown and brown stripe and an extra red before blk. Ideas? THis sounds a little McDojang-ish, but by all research I have done, I don't think this place is.

Sorry about the novel. Any advice would be great.

Justin:)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
NCPACKFAN,

What you posted was not a novel but a good question.

I think you are wise starting back at the bottom after such a long time.

I hope you still have your flexabiltiy (I wish I had stated at the age you did!)

I 'retired' after I graduated from college. I went back in about 5 years later. I can say it took some time to bone up to where I was before. It will come back! Just plug away and as you practice the old neuropaths you built up as a kid will be used again.

Deaf

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that if you feel you need to start at the bottom then you should start at the bottom. There are some people who can stop for many years and come back with no problems, they remember all their patterns and can still keep up in the class.
But it has been 12 years for you and that is quite a long time, but some instructors might advance you a little quicker if your patterns come back to you and you show that you are ready. Because you did reach your BB and that training will come back to you, especially since you started when you were quite young

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't let a different belt system put you off. Our school does not follow a traditional belt system (white, yellow, orange, green, purple, blue, red stripe, red, black stripe, black) but it is definitely far from a mcdojo. If you have done your research as you say then you should not worry about it if only the belts are different. A bigger worry would be if they let people grade who clearly should not be. Good luck with your training, welcome back.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, it might say TKD on the door, but with the many different styles around, it's not a given you will be doing the same as you did as a kid.

(and the 'old' made me giggle....considering I am 40 and started when I was 35...)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes it is best to empty your cup and start a new begining, best of luck to you.

OP
N

NCPACKFAN

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all ALL for the great responses. It all makes total sense and I am sure it will all play true. Thanks again!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Starting at the bottom is not a bad thing after being away from it for so many years..The memories of your previous lessons are still there and will awaken as you start your journey again..Age is just a number, don't let it get in the way..I didn't get real serious about training unil my mid 40's

Latest Discussions