Increase your gas mileage?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they covered this one specifically, but Mythbusters did a show not long ago looking at gasoline additives purported to increase gas mileage. On testing, none of the additives made a measurable difference.

As a chemist, there's no way that a couple teaspoons of acetone in your tank is likely to have any effect on gas mileage whatsoever.

One interesting thing from the show was that they also ran a car on used cooking oil (which would otherwise be thrown away). Simply filtered it on the way into the gas tank... and the car ran beautifully. Free fuel is as close as your nearest KFC on "cleaning" day ;)

Might not meet California emission standards, though...

There is a show on this, not sure the channel, but it is two guys who took their car that burns used cooking oil across the USA. (* NOTE: Lots of modifications to the engine and rebuilds and work on it to make it work, in a reliable manner to take it across the country. *) The Channel was History, TLC, or ... not really sure but, if I see it again I will get the info for it.

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is a show on this, not sure the channel, but it is two guys who took their car that burns used cooking oil across the USA. (* NOTE: Lots of modifications to the engine and rebuilds and work on it to make it work, in a reliable manner to take it across the country. *) The Channel was History, TLC, or ... not really sure but, if I see it again I will get the info for it.
It was the mythe busters and they used cooking oil in a deisel mercades with no mods.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was the mythe busters and they used cooking oil in a deisel mercades with no mods.

No, It was most definitely not Myth Busters as I know those two guys. It was a couple of College guys in a documentary.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Top Gear" illustarted the concept with an old Volvo. They also ran cars using other alternative fuels to compare performance (sadly I can't recall the details but maybe a browse of the web site will reveal all).

Anyhow, the point is that the idea is proven, at least as a technical feasability. Whether it has any true practical application is a different matter (considering the quantaties that would be needed at current petroleum useage rates).

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, update time!

Previous 2 tanks were 42.2 and 43.8 MPG (Didn't check temp really, but about average for this time of year 15 -35)

1st tank with Acetone added 2.5 oz. per 10 gallons of gas = 39.9 MPG (Temps were between 35 and 7, humidity between 40% and raining)

2nd tank 40.1 MPG also 2.5 per 10 gallons. same weather conditions

3rd tank 2 oz per 10 gallons gas 39.8 MPG (weather temp between high of 40 low of 18, same humidiy)

Running one last tank at 3oz per 10 gallons just for giggles. But looks like I am going back to straight no-frills gasoline. I'll try in the summer when the little S-box usually gets 45 -48 MPG.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On the show Mythbusters, they used the same, unmodified Mercedez Benz for both tests. As I recall, they used filtered cooking oil. However, the Mercedez was an early 80s model.

It is my understanding that you have to modify a modern diesel engine to be able to run off of pure cooking oil. Here in CA, I understand that it can be done for about $5,000.

Originally, the diesel engine was not designed to be run on fossil fuels, but on vegetable oil. Diesel engines in general have a 40% better fuel mileage, and produce 69% less greenhouse gases. So why did California ban the sale of diesel cars (not trucks)?

Bio-diesel is relatively expensive to make, and is made from agricultural waste (chaff, corn husks, etc.). That's why it's not used so much. But I think it will get cheaper as technology for making it improves.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, update time!

Previous 2 tanks were 42.2 and 43.8 MPG (Didn't check temp really, but about average for this time of year 15 -35)

1st tank with Acetone added 2.5 oz. per 10 gallons of gas = 39.9 MPG (Temps were between 35 and 7, humidity between 40% and raining)

3rd tank 2 oz per 10 gallons gas 39.8 MPG (weather temp between high of 40 low of 18, same humidiy)

Running one last tank at 3oz per 10 gallons just for giggles. But looks like I am going back to straight no-frills gasoline. I'll try in the summer when the little S-box usually gets 45 -48 MPG.

This is what I expected, but what gets me is that they tell the person on the websites I have seen to find the best gasoline which usually means no ethanol which means no loss of power and the is what the system is calibrated too.

Thanks for the feedback

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
OK, update time!

Told ya so...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh I knew it wasn't going to do anything, but I have a little beater that I was willing to put up for a "test" just in case anybody brings this farce up, I can say beyond any doubt; "Nope, I tried it, doesn't work." That is the only reason I ran a few tanks through. Anybody that thinks a minuscule amount of anything added to that much gas is going better their milage is just grasping at straws.

Latest Discussions